Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 10:49 PM

3 posts, read 2,433 times

Advertisements

Moving there August 10th from Onalaska, Wisconsin . . . Headed to fairbanks area a little outside south . . . I'm a born and raised small town Wisconsin girl with long cold snowy winters and short hot humid high temp summers ... Lets see ... I'm committed for the 2013-14 school year then lets see what happens after that ... I feel fortunate to have the opportunity to be working with high school students from all over Alaska ... Looking forward to experiencing the culture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 11:12 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,348,358 times
Don't they pay people to live in Alaska?

Old 07-27-2013, 11:19 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,348,358 times
With that being said, it might be a unique experience when visiting. You can probably get some good seafood too. The scenery must also be mind blowing.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:22 PM

993 posts, read 1,758,824 times
Yes, I have thought about living in Alaska, but then the rational part of my brain kicked in.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:56 AM

623 posts, read 950,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Don't they pay people to live in Alaska?

Permanent Fund Dividend, which is interest on an initial investment made in the 1970's. Ak isn't for everyone, but as I've stated before every town is different from the next and there isn't any homogeneous experience. Life's great here though if you've outgrown having to live in a big city. Some of the best smaller cities/towns in the US are in AK.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:06 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,037,949 times
I've actually wondered about moving up to Alaska. I love mountains, snow, and green places, but the isolation scares me a little.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:59 AM

97 posts, read 159,212 times
I thought about it once. I visited Southern Alaska on a cruise in the summer. Weather was beautiful, and the scenery was indescribable. The isolation would probably be bad but I don't think Anchorage is too bad of a town, but I think you sacrifice the big city for the beautiful outdoors. Southwest Alaska will rain just as much as Seattle if not more in some areas (Ketchikan rains roughly 360 days a year I believe. When I was there, I got lucky and it wasn't raining ).

What got me was the midnight sun. I remember it being midnight and the sun was still up. Then the amount of snow and the thought of bears just made Alaska being a big N.O. to live.

But seriously, go visit. You won't regret it.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:29 PM

623 posts, read 950,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I've actually wondered about moving up to Alaska. I love mountains, snow, and green places, but the isolation scares me a little.

Technology has tempered the feeling of isolation and you learn to appreciate flying a lot more. Juneau is only a couple of hours from Seattle by air.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:38 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,786,167 times
Oddly enough, when I lived in Louisiana I met several people who had lived in Alaska or were moving there. I guess on account of the oil industry being in both places.

I would like to visit Alaska in the summer only.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 836 times
I just want a big change. It's crazy because I hate cold weather!!!!!! But it's been a dream of mine and my sister. My husband is willing to consider it. We have to have employment first and we are close to buying a home. I was looking at HGtv and the prices are incredible. But we would have to have paying jobs there of what we make here in Oklahoma city. We lived in Lasvegas nv for 5 yrs. My husband is from Chicago I'll. I'm from Dayton oh. We are no strangers to cold weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.