Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 05:14 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times

Advertisements

First of all, I love this forum. Collectively, the thousands of posters here do provide great insight into our cities.

Second, I am not gay (not that there's anything wrong with it) nor am I a male nurse. Just happen to love the movie.

I have lived in Texas nearly all my life. 9 years in Austin (just a great, great city) and 20+ in Corpus, a ****hole. But, it's cheap.

I have some money saved up and realized that I am at that age where it's now or never. I've never lived outside of Texas, and I want a new life. I have a degree and a good employment record. I have experience in sales, tech, and restaurant experience (not just waiter).

So, why these five cities? 1. They're all in cool to cold climate. I want to experience four seasons and I'm tired of 85 degree days in December (yes, I will be begging for them after a few Philly winters, I know). 2. I have friends/job contacts here, so employment may be easier.

I'm also open to your suggestions, though I do want to avoid the deep south due to climate and culture. Would consider the Midwest, but I worry about job prospects. I love CAlifornia, but it's likely too expensive.

I also realize that on my budget, I would most likely have to live in a suburb. I'd like to get a 2 br for about 1000 if possible.

Thoughts?

Oh also, schools will be important as my 7 year old son will be with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 10:19 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Of your list in terms of budget I would point you toward Denver. You'll get more for your money there and it's less of a rat race. You might give the Midwest a bit more thought as cities like Madison, Des Moines, Omaha and Ann Arbor have very low unemployment rates, good schools and a moderate cost of living.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:53 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,956 times
Denver is the most affordable of those, and NOVA has the best unemployment rate.

The Midwest west of Lake Michigan has very healthy unemployment rates, and it's cheaper than most of the places you've listed. No need to worry about job prospects there, and the schools are great.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:02 PM

419 posts, read 656,338 times
Unless you can live with endless grey skies - I'm not talking about rain which really isn't even an issue for me - but the grey skies are - don't move to Seattle. I have been here since 1983 - can't wait for hubby to retire so we can leave.

Also cheap it is not. Check the rentals in the Seattle area. Can't find a decent house -maybe apartments are different - for under $1700 per mo.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:04 PM

Thanks everybody. Researching Midwest cities like Pittsburgh, Columbus and Ann ARbor as well. Maybe Madison too, but I've heard it is cold as hell there.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:05 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,824,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwretired View Post
Unless you can live with endless grey skies - I'm not talking about rain which really isn't even an issue for me - but the grey skies are - don't move to Seattle. I have been here since 1983 - can't wait for hubby to retire so we can leave.

Also cheap it is not. Check the rentals in the Seattle area. Can't find a decent house -maybe apartments are different - for under $1700 per mo.
Im renting a 3 bedroom in columbia city area by the new PCC Market for 1200 a month ? And Seattle's been sunny for most of June And all of July we have had not a trace of precipitation. And sunny almost every day. Personally I would take cloudy Skys over deep freeze and cold durring the winter Seattle actually gets les rain than most east cost cities and snow is rare.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Thanks everybody. Researching Midwest cities like Pittsburgh, Columbus and Ann ARbor as well. Maybe Madison too, but I've heard it is cold as hell there.
Pittsburgh isn't Midwestern, but it's a good city.

Winters in the Upper Midwest (MN-IA-WI-ND-SD) are grossly overstated. It's not nearly as bad as it's made out. Remember that something like 15 million people do it every year.

Definitely add Minneapolis to your list, it's too good a city to ignore if you're going to look in that area.

I would also think about St. Louis and Kansas City if you're worried about winters getting TOO cold. Missouri offers a nice happy medium with summers that aren't as intense as Texas and winters that aren't as intense as North Dakota, and STL and KC are both really great cities - KC in particular has a very bright future.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Pittsburgh isn't Midwestern, but it's a good city.

Winters in the Upper Midwest (MN-IA-WI-ND-SD) are grossly overstated. It's not nearly as bad as it's made out. Remember that something like 15 million people do it every year.

Definitely add Minneapolis to your list, it's too good a city to ignore if you're going to look in that area.

I would also think about St. Louis and Kansas City if you're worried about winters getting TOO cold. Missouri offers a nice happy medium with summers that aren't as intense as Texas and winters that aren't as intense as North Dakota, and STL and KC are both really great cities - KC in particular has a very bright future.
What a great country huh? Ive heard Minneapolis is like a smaller NYC, but also heard it is crazy freaking cold up there. Never been.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:18 PM

21 posts, read 27,448 times
I think the cities in your title are good options, we really do need additional information to suggest to you ideal cities. And no, Minneapolis is not like a smaller NYC. Minneapolis is actually more like Denver or Kansas City than St. Louis or Chicago.

Eu acho que as cidades em seu título são boas opções, nós realmente precisamos de informações adicionais para sugerir-lhe cidades ideais. E não, Minneapolis não é como um menor NYC. Minneapolis é realmente mais como Denver e Kansas City de St. Louis e Chicago.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
What a great country huh? Ive heard Minneapolis is like a smaller NYC, but also heard it is crazy freaking cold up there. Never been.
It's much more like Seattle and Denver than anything else. It's not any colder than Texas is hot; i.e. you live with it and it even has its perks sometimes, plus the other three seasons more than make up for it - I don't know if there's a more beautiful spring anywhere in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.