Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 12:03 AM

22 posts, read 28,052 times

Advertisements

What were states that you thought you were going to hate but you ended up liking? What did you thought you were going to hate about it and what did you like about it to change your mind? I haven't traveled much yet so I can't really say till I do, if I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 01:45 AM

68 posts, read 116,307 times
I wouldn't say I was going into it thinking I would hate it, but I was much more impressed with Michigan than I thought I would be. Outside of the major cities, the state is really beautiful and tranquil.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:54 AM

29,783 posts, read 18,638,771 times
I was surprised when my work sent me to work in Greenville, SC that I ended liking the city and the state. I had a very negative opinion about going there and ended up with a much more favorable opinion.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:11 AM

81 posts, read 213,625 times
Arkansas. I drove from Atlanta to Salt Lake City last year and was surprised by how pretty northern Arkansas on Highway 63 from Jonesboro to the Missouri state line was. There were quite a few rolling hills, twisting roads, and thick tree cover.

Texas. I also enjoyed the drive along Interstate 10 and 20 between El Paso and Fort Worth. It's surprisingly hilly all the way to Fort Worth and the scenery is really pretty.

Louisiana. I found the general feel of southwestern Louisiana to be mesmerizing. I was there during the summer and the humidity was beyond unreal. It added to the ambiance quite a bit. The food was amazing, the rainstorms were exciting, the people were some of the friendliest and lighthearted I've ever come across, and the general flat and swampy landscape was captivating.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:43 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
I was very pleasantly surprised by the following states:

1. Missouri - I didn't really have any preconceived notions about Missouri, but I found the rolling, green hills and the picturesque towns to be lovely. Also, the people are very friendly.

2. Oregon - I am an "east coast" person and found myself absolutely captivated by the Pacific coastline of Oregon. The winding roads through such fertile land reminded me of Steinbeck novels.

3. Ohio - I had no idea that farmland could be so appealing. I loved the big, white farmhouses and the old barns and silos. I drove through several larger cities and I was impressed at how clean they generally were, and I also liked the architecture. The people were very friendly as well. As a southerner, I felt right at home.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:50 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,576,470 times
New Mexico - Very scenic

Missouri - list the poster above me, the rolling green hills.

Wisconsin - As a Minnesotan this is borderline blasphemous, but for the same reason as Missouri, the rolling hills are quite beautiful.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:41 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,253,733 times
Oklahoma. For some reason, I had pictured it as being flat, tan, and boring. Eastern Oklahoma turned out to be lush, green, rolling, and very natural and pretty. The western side of the state flattens out a bit but it still isn't drab tan like I had pictured it for whatever reason.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 3,488 times
Based off the above comments, it seems that the Ozarks region of Oklahoma, Missouri, and Arkansas is an underrated portion of the U.S. Green country, quaint small towns, thriving small metros, friendly people, and my favorite part, the endless supply of lakes.

My vote is for Arizona and New Mexico. Much more picturesque than I had expected.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:23 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,227,695 times
Iowa and Nebraska. Both are beualtiful and western NE is where the west begins.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:27 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,510,622 times
SD. The Badlands are amazing. Also had awesome Buffalo jerky at several stands along the highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.