Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2015, 06:38 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Whether it's a "fantastic measure of true support" or not, 675K out of the tens of millions of people who live in the South is hardly a mandate. So however popular it might be for the WH's website, it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Mrs. Aragon originally brought up the WH petitions. I rejected their validity entirely from the start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 06:49 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Mrs. Aragon claimed, and she was perfectly serious, that we are a tiny minority. I would not consider 40% of young Mississippians identifying as Southrons first and Americans second a tiny minority. Mrs. Aragon claims to be American first and Southern second, and keeps going on about her personal life, apparently waiting for me to throw her a cookie.

I would also not consider 38% Confederate support a tiny minority, nor 25% support for secession a tiny minority. A minority I have not argued with. But a tiny minority we are definitely not.
I don't know why you keep saying "Southrons" but it's pretty irritating.

Anyway, as I've said before, making Mississippi tantamount to the entire South is fallacious. That state is in no way representative of the South as a whole. Your arguments just don't hold water sir.

If you and the state of Mississippi want to secede, go right ahead but you won't be dragging the rest of the region with you.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I don't know why you keep saying "Southrons" but it's pretty irritating.

Anyway, as I've said before, making Mississippi tantamount to the entire South is fallacious. That state is in no way representative of the South as a whole. Your arguments just don't hold water sir.

If you and the state of Mississippi want to secede, go right ahead but you won't be dragging the rest of the region with you.
Only one survey was restricted to Mississippi. That was the survey regarding Southern identity. The others were a combination of Southern states. As far as who is dragged into it, that would depend. What I can absolutely guarantee is that there would be nothing you could do about it if, and I say IF, it were to happen.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Mrs. Aragon claimed, and she was perfectly serious, that we are a tiny minority. I would not consider 40% of young Mississippians identifying as Southrons first and Americans second a tiny minority. Mrs. Aragon claims to be American first and Southern second, and keeps going on about her personal life, apparently waiting for me to throw her a cookie.

I would also not consider 38% Confederate support a tiny minority, nor 25% support for secession a tiny minority. A minority I have not argued with. But a tiny minority we are definitely not.

LOL I don't want or need your cookies. I do, however, feel that I'm representative of many, many Southerners (not Southroners whatever that is) that apparently, for whatever reasons, you don't seem to be coming in close contact with. "We're everywhere!"

You keep going on and on about Mississippians, as if 1) they were some sort of homogenous group, and 2) as if Mississippians represent Southerners (not Southroners, whatever those are) as a whole.

Let me remind you that Mississippi is 38 percent African American. I doubt very much that many African American Mississippians support the ideals of the Confederacy, let alone support secession.

The rest of the population of Mississippi is about 57 percent white, non Hispanic. Are you telling me that you honestly believe that about 40 percent of those people want to secede from the Union?

And then we get back to the "want" vs "wish" thing. People who truly WANT something take active steps to achieve it. Otherwise, like I said, talk is cheap. REALLY cheap.

What is a Southroner by the way?

Old 10-20-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL I don't want or need your cookies. I do, however, feel that I'm representative of many, many Southerners (not Southroners whatever that is) that apparently, for whatever reasons, you don't seem to be coming in close contact with. "We're everywhere!"
American patriots being the same people who would become "brothers" with Puerto Ricans if they were to become a state tomorrow.

Quote:
You keep going on and on about Mississippians, as if 1) they were some sort of homogenous group, and 2) as if Mississippians represent Southerners (not Southroners, whatever those are) as a whole.
Maybe you don't consider Southerners homogeneous.

Quote:
Let me remind you that Mississippi is 38 percent African American. I doubt very much that many African American Mississippians support the ideals of the Confederacy, let alone support secession.

Hm, I did not know that. Thank you for that information.

Quote:
The rest of the population of Mississippi is about 57 percent white, non Hispanic. Are you telling me that you honestly believe that about 40 percent of those people want to secede from the Union?
40% of young Mississippians who participated in the survey claim their Southern identity is more important than their American identity. I don't know the exact percentage who are pro secession in MS. What I do know is that a moral person does not oppose independence.

Quote:
And then we get back to the "want" vs "wish" thing. People who truly WANT something take active steps to achieve it. Otherwise, like I said, talk is cheap. REALLY cheap.
Registering on a government web site and signing a fraudulent petition is not what I consider taking action.

Quote:
What is a Southroner by the way?
A Southron is a Southerner.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 10-20-2015 at 08:04 PM..

Old 10-20-2015, 08:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
American patriots being the same people who would become "brothers" with Puerto Ricans if they were to become a state tomorrow.

Maybe you don't consider Southerners homogeneous.

Hm, I did not know that. Thank you for that information.

40% of young Mississippians who participated in the survey claim their Southern identity is stronger than their American identity. I don't know the exact percentage who are pro secession in MS. What I do know is that a moral person does not oppose independence.

Registering on a government web site and signing a fraudulent petition is not what I consider taking action.

A Southron is a Southerner.
This post reminds me of why I haven't been too keen on engaging you in conversations up to this point (hint - that's not because I'm intimidated by your intellectual prowess).

Just one thing has me curious - you can of course disregard me as I'm about to disregard your posts, but I really am curious as to why you insist on calling Southerners "Southron." That's so strange. Please explain this to us since I'm not the only one bemused and confused by this term.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
This post reminds me of why I haven't been too keen on engaging you in conversations up to this point (hint - that's not because I'm intimidated by your intellectual prowess).

Just one thing has me curious - you can of course disregard me as I'm about to disregard your posts, but I really am curious as to why you insist on calling Southerners "Southron." That's so strange. Please explain this to us since I'm not the only one bemused and confused by this term.
Let me google that for you

Old 10-20-2015, 09:56 PM

3,701 posts, read 4,845,879 times
Quote:
I have been wondering that myself! Just what is a "southron"???????????????

Oh, out of curriosity (I don't know why) but I did his google link. It seems that is an old term. As in, from the confederacy. As in, possibly how people talked way, way, way, way, waaaaaaayyyyyyy back then.

Basically it even proves more that somebody here must have found a time machine and is stuck in the 1860's, but, unfortunately (or fortunately for comic relief) he can communicate with the modern times!

Old 10-20-2015, 11:28 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Only one survey was restricted to Mississippi. That was the survey regarding Southern identity. The others were a combination of Southern states. As far as who is dragged into it, that would depend. What I can absolutely guarantee is that there would be nothing you could do about it if, and I say IF, it were to happen.
It's not happening dude...but keep hope alive if it makes you sleep better at night.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:37 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
It's not happening dude...but keep hope alive if it makes you sleep better at night.
LOL!!! Tell it, Mutiny77.

The ignorance on display here is almost breathtaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.