Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2017, 06:21 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberbandman View Post
How do you define that though? I think being "Southern" certainly has a cultural context to it as well. As does being "Northern". For instance, one might be from Arizona and still be considered a "Northerner" culturally, despite Arizona being in the southwest.
They'd be a Westerner. Stereotypical Southerners are honey boo boo and you know what I'm saying. Miami being outside of that doesn't change the fact that it's southern by location. I don't think it should be ruled out based on that, it forms much if not most of Florida's culture, which is an undoubtedly southern state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 06:33 PM

16 posts, read 15,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
They'd be a Westerner. Stereotypical Southerners are honey boo boo and you know what I'm saying. Miami being outside of that doesn't change the fact that it's southern by location. I don't think it should be ruled out based on that, it forms much if not most of Florida's culture, which is an undoubtedly southern state.
Why would they be a westerner if Arizona is located in a geographically southern state? While someone from the same latitude in Georgia is considered a southerner? Aren't your definitions cultural?

Without a perceived cultural definition the entire sunbelt should be considered apart of the "southern" states. If we're going strictly by geography.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Why would they be a westerner if Arizona is located in a geographically southern state? While someone from the same latitude in Georgia is considered a southerner? Aren't your definitions cultural?

Without a perceived cultural definition the entire sunbelt should be considered apart of the "southern" states. If we're going strictly by geography.
Well yes, a Southwestern state to be exact. But you know what I mean.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:11 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
I agree that it's offensive to define "southern" in such a way that it explicitly excludes black southerners from the definition. If you want to talk about white southern culture, be explicit about it, do not act as if black people either don't exist, or don't count as being southern.

There are of course things that black and white southern culture share in common however, such as a strong attachment to the church, similar cuisine, and general friendliness.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:16 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,709 times
Quote:

At a certain point you'll stop being Northern, Midwestern, or Southern and just become Western. MT, WY, CO, & NM are the start of the West. A person from AZ may have some ideals they share with someone from the North but they're culturally different from one another. Using geography for states that are on the opposite ends of the country (AZ/GA) is kind of pointless because there isn't anything that could tie them in terms of history, culture, weather, terrain, demographics, and whatever else that you can think of. A couple of political ideals does not equal culture.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
At a certain point you'll stop being Northern, Midwestern, or Southern and just become Western. MT, WY, CO, & NM are the start of the West. A person from AZ may have some ideals they share with someone from the North but they're culturally different from one another. Using geography for states that are on the opposite ends of the country (AZ/GA) is kind of pointless because there isn't anything that could tie them in terms of history, culture, weather, terrain, demographics, and whatever else that you can think of. A couple of political ideals does not equal culture.

That's what I mean. "The South" is a cultural term, which usually denotes only the states that lie in the south-eastern part of the United States that encompass that culture. It's defined by the culture shared by the people of that region. Therefor I think south Florida is exceptional and not apart of the true south because it is basically as northern as Massachusetts is culturally. Just because it is located in the southern part of the United States, not unlike Arizona is, does not make it a apart of "the south".

I think Texas is a region in and of itself.

By "southern Americans" I am assuming the OP is referring to people within the cultural region of the south. Otherwise there is no reason to leave out Arizonans, New Mexicans, and Californians really.

Last edited by rubberbandman; 04-12-2017 at 11:26 AM..

Old 04-12-2017, 11:30 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Quote:
That's what I mean. "The South" is a cultural term, which usually denotes only the states that lie in the south-eastern part of the United States that encompass that culture. It's defined by the culture shared by the people of that region. Therefor I think south Florida is exceptional and not apart of the true south because it is basically as northern as Massachusetts is culturally. Just because it is located in the southern part of the United States, not unlike Arizona is, does not make it a apart of "the south".

I think Texas is a region in and of itself.

By "southern Americans" I am assuming the OP is referring to people within the cultural region of the south. Otherwise there is no reason to leave out Arizonans, New Mexicans, and Californians really.
Huh?

Old 04-12-2017, 11:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
The "southern states" are generally the states that were part of the Confederacy.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The "southern states" are generally the states that were part of the Confederacy.
I still wouldn't call a person from Miami a "southern American" though, and I think most definitions would suggest they are not as well.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I still wouldn't call a person from Miami a "southern American" though, and I think most definitions would suggest they are not as well.
I'd call black people from that area southern. Went to college with a guy from West Palm Beach and he was as southern as the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.