U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 07:18 PM

45 posts, read 138,588 times

Advertisements

I should have said why do some states that are affluent live so much more modest then much poorer states?

I am not the biggest traveler but I have been to many states and lived in several and I have noticed that many affluent states people live so much more modestly then much poorer states.

For example cities like North Las Vegas where the average home seems to be close to 3,000 square feet and people tend to be into luxury cars has a per-capita income according to the census of $21,000.

The whole time I was in Nevada on my trip I noticed that people would tend to talk about material objects, looks and the next big purchase they were saving up for to finance.

I know I overheard one Nevadan saying he was saving up $5,000 so that he could start searching for a dealer to finance a purchase of an additional vehicle.

Californians also tend to be obsessed with living large. I never saw so many European sedan's and brand new German SUV's in my life. Yet the state's per capita income is just 5 percent above the national average. I know when I have talked with Californians something status based tends to come up with-in 10 minutes of conversation.

I also noticed that Nevadans and Californians when they talked always would talk about how everything is "up and coming" and they use the word professional for everything. I know there are some exceptions to the rule but it seems as if everything is about image.

Then there are states like Iowa and Kansas which are close to catching up to California on per-capita personal income and Minnesota and North Dakota which are far wealthier then California. Yet in these plains states drive modest cars like Camry's and Jetta's that tend to be a few years old, live in modest houses that are slightly larger then many of these California and Nevada McMansions garages.

I also notice that usually people in these plains states rarely mention or have any interest in inquiring about what materialistic objects one has.

Even wealthy Midwestern enclaves such as West Des Moines, Edina and Bayside, Wisconsin and Upper Arlington, Ohio look downright modest compared many of these California and Nevada sub-divisions.

Last edited by midwestecon; 07-23-2013 at 07:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 07:47 PM

59,517 posts, read 84,346,151 times
Did you look at median household income and other economic factors like average annual income? Northern California enjoys nation's highest salaries - The Business Journals

List of U.S. states by income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-24-2013, 12:10 AM

12,871 posts, read 10,986,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Did you look at median household income and other economic factors like average annual income? Northern California enjoys nation's highest salaries - The Business Journals

List of U.S. states by income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Exactly. An individual's income affects what they own and where they live more than their state or city's per capita income. The median household or family income for an area is a pretty good way to tell how wealthy it is.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:32 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,790,236 times
There really isn't anything "modest" about Edina, MN. You should probably add Chicago's north shore to your list of places to visit in the Midwest. In the Midwest, admittedly, people often hide their mansions behind trees and are a bit less ostentatious than someone in SoCal, where they more proudly display it. But in terms of the spending itself if you're wealthy enough to do so, I don't think there's much of a difference.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:02 AM

18,381 posts, read 20,438,053 times
As this link shows, the top 5 states ranked by median household income are:

Maryland
Alaska
New Jersey
Connecticut
Massachusetts

So, it clearly makes a difference depending on where a person lives.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:53 AM

390 posts, read 803,590 times
95% of the country's wealth is held by 5% of the population

Old 07-24-2013, 09:59 AM

42,663 posts, read 75,857,867 times
I think the OP is basing his question on anecdotal observations of a few acquaintances in several states. It remains to be demonstrated that the phenomenon exists in the real world.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,179 times
the key here is wealth distribution. states like NY, CA, NV have some of the richest people in the world, a shrinking middle class and a whole bunch of poor people eating at mcdonalds and driving 15 year old beaters.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:52 AM

12,871 posts, read 10,986,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
As this link shows, the top 5 states ranked by median household income are:

Maryland
Alaska
New Jersey
Connecticut
Massachusetts

So, it clearly makes a difference depending on where a person lives.
That's weird, according to here on City Data, Maryland comes first and NJ comes second, with CT coming in third, Alaska fourth and MA fifth. Not sure when this data was last updated, though.

But still, interesting list either way.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:33 AM

591 posts, read 662,051 times
Welcome to the Sun Belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or