U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which region do you like better?
Southern California 88 69.84%
Southern Florida 38 30.16%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 02:41 AM

13,339 posts, read 13,516,708 times

Advertisements

Dang.I know I dont live down there anymore but,Can SoFL win in something on these threads. Y do we alwayz suck? Who started this thread? I know its flat, and theres mosquitoes, and theres hurricanes, and floods, and immigrants, and nobody speaks english, and everyones rude, and everywhere else on planet earth including Iraq and Hell is better than SoFl. We've all heard these things on thousands and thousands of other threads. Now we're gonna try to compare SoFl to SoCal? We're askin to get slaughtered. I know some Florida haters are gonna attack me for this. Oh yeah I still choose SoCal only because I alwayz dreamed of going there.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:34 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,033,606 times
Thumbs up Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
I know the news/media lies so you dont have to educate me on that...but I just don't understand why they would say a fire is still burning when its not.The media has an agenda but I doubt there is some conspiracy against California..but its all good and your right you do live there.
There probably giving people a Recap about how much acres Have burned and they might show footages of the fires when the fires got started or when the flames were intense.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:38 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,033,606 times
Wink Slaughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Dang.I know I dont live down there anymore but,Can SoFL win in something on these threads. Y do we alwayz suck? Who started this thread? I know its flat, and theres mosquitoes, and theres hurricanes, and floods, and immigrants, and nobody speaks english, and everyones rude, and everywhere else on planet earth including Iraq and Hell is better than SoFl. We've all heard these things on thousands and thousands of other threads. Now we're gonna try to compare SoFl to SoCal? We're askin to get slaughtered. I know some Florida haters are gonna attack me for this. Oh yeah I still choose SoCal only because I alwayz dreamed of going there.
There's no point of asking anymore it's already in the Making or it already is a Slaughter .

Old 12-21-2008, 10:24 AM

3 posts, read 7,440 times
UPDATE: Ok, it'd now December, and I have made up my mind! It's RIDICULOUSLY cold here in SO Cal. It's like 73 degrees with mild humidity in FLA. I am wearing a scarf, earmuffs & gloves.. Even a jacket. I don't think I ever once purchased these items in my 14 years in So FLa. However, I can get fat here in Cali, and it's harder to notice because of all the layering. BUT warm clothes cost more than a bikini, so you do the math.

Also I intended to get a 4/3 or 3/2 wetsuit to enjoy the So Cal surf through the winter months, but alas, the only think I do living 4 miles from Huntintong Pier is stop at Starbucks. SIDENOTE: If you are NOT a coffee junkie, you WILL be when you move to So Cal. I used to laugh at people who ordered things that would make Webster's proud, using 20 words to ask for a simple cup of coffee, and now I'm the one ordering the Skinny Vente Vanilla Latte at 140 degrees preferably with soy milk. Geez.
But disclaimer: that's just me. I never even drank coffee in Fla, except for pick-me-up Cuban coffee 'shots' on rare occassions.

Gas is now cheap here, and snowboarding is an option, albeit a more expensive one that surfing, And a 4x4 SUV or truck helps. This is unnecessary in So Fla. As far as asthma, I lived 19 year ins NYC before moving to So Fla for the past 14 before moving out here 7 months ago, and the cold should not bother me. However once your blood is used to tropical (or subtropical) weather, it is difficult to adjust.

As far as the fires, they seem to happen every year, which I don't understand why if they KNOW they are gonna happen, they are not more preventable. But whatever. I'll just stick close to Newport (which is like the Aventura of the West) to assure the fire dept. will act much more efficiently than when they have to worry about extensive acreage burning in Yorba Linda, Santa Barbara and the other inland areas.

One final note, people are WAY more efficient out here in So Cal. I brought my Toyota in for service & literally got it back hours before promised & they also fixed a lot of stuff for free. Good luck with that type of service in FL. Even Von's employees (there are no Publix's out here) always smile. People seem happy to be of service. Florida people are - and this is an admitted generalization - less inclined to go out of their way to assist.

I am also getting used to the traffic, but it sure pisses me off when thy close the 10 west AND the 5 at the same time for "construction" in the evenings sometimes, making it difficult for GPS to account for these dilemmas, inevitably sending me out of my way.

Regardless, I'm sticking to So Cal. Decision final. The cold is my biggest complaint, and thanks to So FLa, since I AM bilingual, it will make finding a job easier here too....i f the damn job market wasn't a s much as a nightmare as Greorge Bush was as a president. But that can open another bag of worms, so I'll leave it at that

Old 12-21-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahorse342 View Post
UPDATE: Ok, it'd now December, and I have made up my mind! It's RIDICULOUSLY cold here in SO Cal. It's like 73 degrees with mild humidity in FLA. I am wearing a scarf, earmuffs & gloves.. Even a jacket. I don't think I ever once purchased these items in my 14 years in So FLa. However, I can get fat here in Cali, and it's harder to notice because of all the layering. BUT warm clothes cost more than a bikini, so you do the math.

Also I intended to get a 4/3 or 3/2 wetsuit to enjoy the So Cal surf through the winter months, but alas, the only think I do living 4 miles from Huntintong Pier is stop at Starbucks. SIDENOTE: If you are NOT a coffee junkie, you WILL be when you move to So Cal. I used to laugh at people who ordered things that would make Webster's proud, using 20 words to ask for a simple cup of coffee, and now I'm the one ordering the Skinny Vente Vanilla Latte at 140 degrees preferably with soy milk. Geez.
But disclaimer: that's just me. I never even drank coffee in Fla, except for pick-me-up Cuban coffee 'shots' on rare occassions.

Gas is now cheap here, and snowboarding is an option, albeit a more expensive one that surfing, And a 4x4 SUV or truck helps. This is unnecessary in So Fla. As far as asthma, I lived 19 year ins NYC before moving to So Fla for the past 14 before moving out here 7 months ago, and the cold should not bother me. However once your blood is used to tropical (or subtropical) weather, it is difficult to adjust.

As far as the fires, they seem to happen every year, which I don't understand why if they KNOW they are gonna happen, they are not more preventable. But whatever. I'll just stick close to Newport (which is like the Aventura of the West) to assure the fire dept. will act much more efficiently than when they have to worry about extensive acreage burning in Yorba Linda, Santa Barbara and the other inland areas.

One final note, people are WAY more efficient out here in So Cal. I brought my Toyota in for service & literally got it back hours before promised & they also fixed a lot of stuff for free. Good luck with that type of service in FL. Even Von's employees (there are no Publix's out here) always smile. People seem happy to be of service. Florida people are - and this is an admitted generalization - less inclined to go out of their way to assist.

I am also getting used to the traffic, but it sure pisses me off when thy close the 10 west AND the 5 at the same time for "construction" in the evenings sometimes, making it difficult for GPS to account for these dilemmas, inevitably sending me out of my way.

Regardless, I'm sticking to So Cal. Decision final. The cold is my biggest complaint, and thanks to So FLa, since I AM bilingual, it will make finding a job easier here too....i f the damn job market wasn't a s much as a nightmare as Greorge Bush was as a president. But that can open another bag of worms, so I'll leave it at that
See. South Florida is good for something. You're bilingual now. So now you can find a job in SoCal easier. See SoFla is not so bad.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
There's no point of asking anymore it's already in the Making or it already is a Slaughter .
You got me there I lose again. I still love SoFla though no matter what haters tell me. But SoCal is just too big in land area and population for SoFLa to compare to. And way more stuff to do in SoCal. Heck I take SoCal over NYC anyday (no disrespect to NYC.) The only state that can compare to Cali IMHO is Texas. I use to live in TX and that state is the most underrated state in the US. Heres my list CA, TX, FL, NY, IL. Those are the top 5 states in my opinion. SoCal could even make its own state and it would still be in my top 5. Im probably the biggest CA lover outside of CA, and ive never been there.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:03 AM

8,968 posts, read 8,691,152 times
Southern California all day, everyday . Love that place.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:12 PM

122 posts, read 34,203 times
I would quite honestly be happy in either region! I live in South Florida and love it; I've visited Southern California and loved it as well (wished I could have spent more time there, in fact!) Both have the things that attract me to a region - strong and diverse economies (more so in SoCal), population growth, diversity, a lack of cold weather (SoFla wins in this area hands down, though), left of center politics, good cultural scenes, gay-friendly, and coastal location. I voted South Florida because it's my region, but that's in no way meant to denigrate Southern California or suggest that I don't find it a great place to live. If I had to move to LA/the OC/San Diego tomorrow, I would have no problem at all doing so.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:56 PM

It never rains in southern california. But maybe thats what it needs.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:09 PM

10,406 posts, read 13,949,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
It never rains in southern california. But maybe thats what it needs.
Maybe according to Tone Toni Tony, but today its raining and YES we do need it. We almost always need rain it seems. That is one of the things I like about SoFla, the wet tropical climate and all the lush vegetation. Plus the white sand beaches and warm tropical water beat out the colder Pacific Ocean. I actually want to move to SoFla for a change of scenery and to experiance living outside of Ca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.