Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Mountains in the East
Northern Appalachians 51 40.16%
Southern Appalachians 76 59.84%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 12:58 AM

15,952 posts, read 20,911,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Recreation will be in the favor of the Northern mountains without a doubt.
Care to detail?

North, south, it's all gorgeous, but a little bragging is in order here

From our local TN forum thread
Fall http://www.city-data.com/forum/26797039-post470.html

Early winter
http://www.city-data.com/forum/26797170-post471.html

Same photographer
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d.../IMG_22481.jpg

Last edited by DubbleT; 07-30-2013 at 01:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 02:50 AM

9,436 posts, read 10,705,996 times
The southern mountains are larger, and I am biased since I live near the southern Mountains. Have been up to New England and upper New York and it is pretty there. The Appalachians have a similar appearance throughout the range, but the southern Mountains have a height advantage. That being said the southern Mnts have it IMO.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:01 AM

10,720 posts, read 23,633,386 times
From a mountain peaks and a panorama point of view the ranges in the South are more impressive. From a recreation point of view I think the North has more to offer with more clear water lakes to swim in the summer and more conducive conditions for skiing in the winter with a lot more resort development for skiing as well. Also there are more and much larger rivers flowing out of the mountains of the North. The mountains and rolling hilly terrain make their way all the way to the Atlantic up at Acadia National Park in Maine.

The rolling, eroded, and rounded peaks of the Appalachians do have a similar form form the South to the North. Though I wonder if there are any mountains in the South the have the sharp and rugged terrain of Knife's Edge at Mt. Katahdin in Maine.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Knife_Edge.jpg

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-30-2013 at 09:15 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 10:09 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,134,242 times
The southern Appalachians are farther from the coast, so their base elevation is already higher than that of the northern Appalachians. Elevation alone is a poor indicator of how "towering" or "impressive" a mountain appears to the observer - this is better correlated to prominence: Eastern USA Peaks with 2500 feet of Prominence - Peakbagger.com

The Northern Appalachians are just as prominent as their Southern counterparts.

I love both ends of the range, and they are beautiful in different ways. I love the steep forested ridges of the Smokies undulating as far as the eye can see. I also love the rugged and foreboding granite peaks of the White Mountains.

Speaking of the White Mountains (photos mine unless stated otherwise)...

All sizes | Fresh snow on Mt. Adams and Mt. Madison | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - Creative Commons license

Old 07-30-2013, 10:27 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,773,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Care to detail?

North, south, it's all gorgeous, but a little bragging is in order here

From our local TN forum thread
Fall http://www.city-data.com/forum/26797039-post470.html

Early winter
http://www.city-data.com/forum/26797170-post471.html

Same photographer
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d.../IMG_22481.jpg
Where in North Carolina, or Tennessee are there mountain resorts like Killington, Stowe, Sugarbush, Sugarloaf, Loon, Waterville Valley, Canon, Sunday River, Gunstock, Smugglers Notch, Mad River Glenn, Wildcat, or Jay Peak?

Simply put, the offerings to ski and ride below PA are flat out few and far between. That fact tilts the recreation offerings in the favor of the northern mountains. Not to mention the resorts south of there cannot match those in Main, Vermont, or New Hampshire.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:44 AM

15,952 posts, read 20,911,244 times
Never took to skiing so I'm not in a position to compare, although I do know there are several resorts no too far from me over in NC. Basically I wondered if you were simply talking about skiing or if that included other things, fishing, white water rafting and that kind of thing.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:59 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,773,942 times
Both regions are pretty much even in most recreation categories. The skiing/riding factor tilts the favor to the north imo.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:53 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,779,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Where in North Carolina, or Tennessee are there mountain resorts like Killington, Stowe, Sugarbush, Sugarloaf, Loon, Waterville Valley, Canon, Sunday River, Gunstock, Smugglers Notch, Mad River Glenn, Wildcat, or Jay Peak?

Simply put, the offerings to ski and ride below PA are flat out few and far between. That fact tilts the recreation offerings in the favor of the northern mountains. Not to mention the resorts south of there cannot match those in Main, Vermont, or New Hampshire.
There is more to mountains than skiing. There are far greater hiking opportunities in the S. Appalachians, and the weather is more conducive to hiking for longer periods of time due to the milder weather. Also, the S. Appalachians high peaks are more accessible to the major cities in the Southeast. They are a few hours away from Atlanta, Charlotte, Knoxville, Chatanooga, etc... The high peaks like Mt Washington in the N. Appalachians are far from the major cities (Boston being closest but many hours away). The Adirondacks are quite far from major cities, well except Albany I guess.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:24 PM

92,031 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
There is more to mountains than skiing. There are far greater hiking opportunities in the S. Appalachians, and the weather is more conducive to hiking for longer periods of time due to the milder weather. Also, the S. Appalachians high peaks are more accessible to the major cities in the Southeast. They are a few hours away from Atlanta, Charlotte, Knoxville, Chatanooga, etc... The high peaks like Mt Washington in the N. Appalachians are far from the major cities (Boston being closest but many hours away). The Adirondacks are quite far from major cities, well except Albany I guess.
Montreal is close to the Adirondacks and Green Mountains. NYC isn't too far from the Catskills or even the Poconos. Same with Philadelphia and the Poconos. So, there are major cities within an hour or 2 from mountains up here. I didn't mention cities like Hartford, Springfield or Worcester as well.

You can hike and snowshoe in the winter as well.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:31 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,134,242 times
Quote:
There is more to mountains than skiing. There are far greater hiking opportunities in the S. Appalachians, and the weather is more conducive to hiking for longer periods of time due to the milder weather.
I guess that depends on your personal preferences. I'd rather strap on some snowshoes and hike a trail in winter than hike in hot, humid weather. Winter is actually one of my favorite times to hike in the northern Appalachians because even the most famous trails are basically empty.

Quote:
Also, the S. Appalachians high peaks are more accessible to the major cities in the Southeast. They are a few hours away from Atlanta, Charlotte, Knoxville, Chatanooga, etc... The high peaks like Mt Washington in the N. Appalachians are far from the major cities (Boston being closest but many hours away). The Adirondacks are quite far from major cities, well except Albany I guess.
Boston's only 2 hours from the White Mountains - that's not too bad IMO. My favorite hiking is above the treeline (as in my photo below), which is another reason why I'm a big fan of the Whites.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.