U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 09:49 AM

60 posts, read 371,596 times

Advertisements

I am a serious arachnophobe. I have only last week moved from my home country Singapore to Washington. In Singapore, we don't have to deal with big spiders, except in forested areas.

Now you may laugh at how silly this post appears and I concede that my fear is rather irrational but it's a strong fear nonetheless which I haven't been able to overcome (I'm 36 yrs old and have had this fear since childhood).

Hubby and I (and 5-yr-old son) are planning to buy a home soon. Problem is my choices are limited to those areas which are spider free (of course, crime stats and good school choices are way up there too). Any part of the US like this?

I'm talking about spiders I will find in my home/garage. I am ok with daddy long legs and smallish ones (abt 1cm in diameter, inclusive of legs). But the bigger ones will completely freak me out. I'm talking nightmares here.

PS: In case you're wondering why I moved from spider-free Singapore to begin with, well, my American hubby wanted to move back to the States after having lived in Singapore for about 6 years. Also, I prefer the American education system to our stifling, rigid one back home.

I welcome anything you might have to say (except please avoid berating me/ my irrational fear. I cannot change that.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 10:09 AM

2,493 posts, read 3,274,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msservos View Post
I am a serious arachnophobe. I have only last week moved from my home country Singapore to Washington. In Singapore, we don't have to deal with big spiders, except in forested areas.

Now you may laugh at how silly this post appears and I concede that my fear is rather irrational but it's a strong fear nonetheless which I haven't been able to overcome (I'm 36 yrs old and have had this fear since childhood).

Hubby and I (and 5-yr-old son) are planning to buy a home soon. Problem is my choices are limited to those areas which are spider free (of course, crime stats and good school choices are way up there too). Any part of the US like this?

I'm talking about spiders I will find in my home/garage. I am ok with daddy long legs and smallish ones (abt 1cm in diameter, inclusive of legs). But the bigger ones will completely freak me out. I'm talking nightmares here.

PS: In case you're wondering why I moved from spider-free Singapore to begin with, well, my American hubby wanted to move back to the States after having lived in Singapore for about 6 years. Also, I prefer the American education system to our stifling, rigid one back home.

I welcome anything you might have to say (except please avoid berating me/ my irrational fear. I cannot change that.)
I think you need to work on your irrational fear. Every place in the U.S. has spiders. You'll have to learn to live with it, I'm afraid.

Greenie

Old 11-11-2007, 10:18 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,251,599 times
That's a tough one. Your fear of spiders sounds equivalent to my mothers fear of snakes. She freaks if someone says the word "snake", never mind seeing one on TV or in the newspaper. Makes life very difficult at times.

I guess probably you should look at the colder climates. I lived my entire life in Maine (until the past 18 months) and never saw any huge spiders. But there are definitely spiders there and they do, at times, get into the house and have to be dealt with. I'm in WI now and haven't seen anything considered huge here either, but we have something even worse than spiders... centipedes! nasty, slimy things. Maine has good schools but the economy isn't very good and employment can be a gamble. Quality of life, however, is fabulous.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:32 PM

3,475 posts, read 4,369,067 times
Sticking to heavily urban areas will help. I live in Philadelphia and I haven't seen a large-ish spider here for a long time. We used to get a lot in one house I lived in out in the suburbs, however.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:39 PM

1,573 posts, read 5,648,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Sticking to heavily urban areas will help. I live in Philadelphia and I haven't seen a large-ish spider here for a long time. We used to get a lot in one house I lived in out in the suburbs, however.
Agreed. Consider a downtown high-rise condominium. If you buy a single family house, it is all but inevitable that you will encounter spiders on a semi-regular basis. Not usually poisonous ones, but spiders nonetheless.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:05 PM

60 posts, read 371,596 times
Thanks, guys! Will seriously look into that...am kinda sad that my dream of owning a nice house with a yard has to make way for my stupid fear.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:28 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,379,272 times
Maybe you could google "states with the most flies?". j.k.

I think it will be difficult to find places with no spiders. You could regularly use a dry fogger inside your home, but I think the health consequences from the fogger would be much worse than having spiders. You especially wouldn't want to do that if you have kids.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:32 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,863,321 times
Stick with urban areas, you probably won't see much by the way of large spiders there. I rarely see anything very big in my apartment here in Chicago. I get little spiders and daddy-long legs, but never anything huge. However, rural and ex-urban areas will see some larger spiders, I know someone whose sister found a Wolf spider on a farm outside of Joliet about 20 years ago (before Joliet developed into the sprawling thing that it has become) ... however she was an unusual girl with no fear of creepy crawly things, she captured it saying that she was going to keep it as a pet. Ewww!

Old 11-12-2007, 07:49 AM

3,475 posts, read 4,369,067 times
Default Just rambling

Actually, I can hardly believe I am voluntarily moving to a state that has black widows (although I hear it's the brown recluses that you really have to worry about)! I don't have a phobia about spiders, but they still give me the creeps.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:24 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,384,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
I'm in WI now and haven't seen anything considered huge here either, but we have something even worse than spiders... centipedes! nasty, slimy things.
First off, centipedes arent slimy. Secondly, if you think those 'pedes are bad, check the southwest USA. They have some that can reach 8" in length.

To the OP: if you dont like large spiders, try and stay in a big metro area somewhere north of the Mason-Dixon line. Sure youll still find them from time-to-time, but there are no real dangerous ones up here (ie brown recluse, black widow, etc). The further north you go, the less bugs/spiders/snakes/etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or