Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 08:15 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,977,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
Flyover City, Flyover State, USA
That's a broad generalization. I'm sure it helped the OP a great deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 08:19 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,000,204 times
West Hollywood

Old 08-04-2013, 08:53 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,883,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesmith78 View Post
Hi, I currently live in Erie, PA. I HATE it here. The job market is crap. I used to work in call centers but most of them have closed down here, so I am stuck working in fast food for just over minimum wage. Also I am sick of the winters up here. Also I kind of feel out of place in Erie being a Baptist Republican in a mostly Democratic Catholic city.

So, what city do you think would be best for me to relocate to? I'm looking for somewhere with a good job market, not alot of snow, (I don't mind cold, I just don't like shoveling snow and having the cars rust out from all the salt.) with alot of Evangelical Christians and Republicans. Some of the cities I'm thinking of are.

Dallas/Fort Worth
Tulsa
Oklahoma City
Fort Smith, AR
Springfield, MO
Dothan, AL
Pensacola, Fl
Jacksonville, FL
Charlotte, NC
Charleston, WV
Cinncinati,OH
Indianapolis, IN
Chattanooga, TN
Nashville, TN
Lexington, KY
Louisville, KY
Atlanta, GA
Phoenix, AZ.
Until you work on your negative, whiney attitude, you're not going to be happy anywhere, nor are you going to be accepted just because you claim to be Christian.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:11 PM

157 posts, read 228,360 times
TX is yo best bet
cheap, good economy, conservative

Old 08-04-2013, 09:30 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
Ok, cool. Im a statistics guy and Im a firm believer that they tell the story better than any other method. Based on that, below are the percentages of Evangelical Protestants of each metro area you are considering. I hope this sheds some light for you:

Percentage of Evangelical protestants by metro area:

Dothan, AL: 55.0%
Fort Smith, AR: 53.6%
Tulsa: 41.8%
Oklahoma City: 39.9%
Chattanooga: 39.7%
Springfield, MO: 38.0%
Nashville: 36.0%
Charlotte: 35.8%
Pensacola: 31.7%
Lexington, KY: 28.3%
Jacksonville, FL: 28.1%
Dallas/Fort Worth: 27.6% (religiously diverse)
Metro Atlanta: 26.9% (religiously diverse)
Louisville: 23.3% (surprisingly, high percentage irreligious)
Indianapolis: 19.4% (high percentage mainline protestant)
Cincinnati: 15.4% (high percentage mainline protestant, few evangelical)
Phoenix: 13.2% (high percentage Catholic, LDS, and irreligious)
Charleston, WV: 11.4% (high percentage of mainline protestant, few evangelical)

I made notes on some of them. Bear in mind, you specifically requested evangelical protestant groups. The data says that is limited to: Baptists, Anglican Church, Apostolic Church, Assemblies of God, Pentecostal, and many smaller religions. This does not include Mainline Protestants which would consist of Presbyterians, Methodists, Episcopalians, Alliance of Baptists and Cooperation of Baptists Fellowships (the liberal branches of the baptists church), Disciples of Christ, and many reformed churches.

Hope the data helps.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:55 PM

40 posts, read 104,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Ok, cool. Im a statistics guy and Im a firm believer that they tell the story better than any other method. Based on that, below are the percentages of Evangelical Protestants of each metro area you are considering. I hope this sheds some light for you:

Percentage of Evangelical protestants by metro area:

Dothan, AL: 55.0%
Fort Smith, AR: 53.6%
Tulsa: 41.8%
Oklahoma City: 39.9%
Chattanooga: 39.7%
Springfield, MO: 38.0%
Nashville: 36.0%
Charlotte: 35.8%
Pensacola: 31.7%
Lexington, KY: 28.3%
Jacksonville, FL: 28.1%
Dallas/Fort Worth: 27.6% (religiously diverse)
Metro Atlanta: 26.9% (religiously diverse)
Louisville: 23.3% (surprisingly, high percentage irreligious)
Indianapolis: 19.4% (high percentage mainline protestant)
Cincinnati: 15.4% (high percentage mainline protestant, few evangelical)
Phoenix: 13.2% (high percentage Catholic, LDS, and irreligious)
Charleston, WV: 11.4% (high percentage of mainline protestant, few evangelical)

I made notes on some of them. Bear in mind, you specifically requested evangelical protestant groups. The data says that is limited to: Baptists, Anglican Church, Apostolic Church, Assemblies of God, Pentecostal, and many smaller religions. This does not include Mainline Protestants which would consist of Presbyterians, Methodists, Episcopalians, Alliance of Baptists and Cooperation of Baptists Fellowships (the liberal branches of the baptists church), Disciples of Christ, and many reformed churches.

Hope the data helps.
I'm surprised Charleston is that low. Would think there was alot of Southern Baptists there.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:23 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesmith78 View Post
I'm surprised Charleston is that low. Would think there was alot of Southern Baptists there.
I was too. Digging through the data deeper, it appears that there are a lot of very conservative "non-denominational" adherants in Charleston. Thats the reason for the low number.

As for my advice to you, I dont think youre going to be happy with the following:

-Phoenix: Its the least religious city on your list. It will be harder to find like minds
-Dallas/Fort Worth: Its a lot more diverse than what I think you will be happy with. There are a good number of evangelicals, but there are more Catholics. There is also higher proportions of Muslims, South Asian religions, and Mainline Protestants.
-Atlanta: See Dallas without the Catholic remark and replace South Asian religious with Jewish.

You seem to be a small to mid-sized city kind of guy. I would suggest one of the Oklahoma cities. They are conservative for cities their size and they have a very high percentage of evangelical Christians. You would have educational opprotunities and the economies there are in excellent shape.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:30 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,200 times
A low skill worker who identifies as Republican; GOD I love 'Merica'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.