U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-12-2007, 12:50 AM
 
Location: Seattle, WA / Los Angeles, CA
288 posts, read 1,243,381 times
Reputation: 113

Advertisements

You have cities in the same region, same state, or close in size, which are sometimes linked to each other, or not! It's sometimes lopsided, and one city gets much more press or recognition........sometimes both are noticed cities but one feels slighted because the other is more labeled as the representative of their state, region, or world class.

Is this - one city being overlooked or over shadowed, or just has an inferiority complex. Or are the prominent cities importance just that overwhelming when compared to the cities they are normally linked with, or in proximity of.

If your city does have an inferiority complex from being overshadowed, overlooked, or compared to another city you are normally compared to would you admit it?

Common cities overshadowed as it seems, or in a bit of a tug of war

New York - Chicago

Chicago labeled second city, and some say they are always trying to one up New York with skyscrapers (height wise), to get out of NY's shadow

New York also overshadows most of the east coast i.e.: Philly

Los Angeles vs Chicago - is Chicago upset at losing ground, and being passed up by Los Angeles, in population and on a global scale

D.C. overshadows Baltimore

Seattle overshadows Portland

Los Angeles San Diego or Los Angeles San Francisco
Houston - Atlanta, or Houston - Dallas / Houston and Dallas overshadow San Antonio
Etc. etc.

If you do feel your city is overshadowed by a certain citydo you think its with good reason considering the importance of the city?

Im talking strictly popularity, press, economic power, and exposure standpoint. Not my city is better than yours!


..........me personally I think most cities are overshadowed because the city they have to go up against, is usually out of their league in the importance catagory.....your city might be nice, and have things to offer, but usually, the other city just has more. (there are exceptions to that rule) Like Los Angeles - San Francisco or New York - Chicago, because they all are such world cities, with everything to offer.

what's your point of view?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2007, 01:13 AM
 
2,560 posts, read 5,268,949 times
Reputation: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
You have cities in the same region, same state, or close in size, which are sometimes linked to each other, or not! It's sometimes lopsided, and one city gets much more press or recognition........sometimes both are noticed cities but one feels slighted because the other is more labeled as the representative of their state, region, or world class.

Is this - one city being overlooked or over shadowed, or just has an inferiority complex. Or are the prominent cities importance just that overwhelming when compared to the cities they are normally linked with, or in proximity of.

If your city does have an inferiority complex from being overshadowed, overlooked, or compared to another city you are normally compared to would you admit it?

Common cities overshadowed as it seems, or in a bit of a tug of war

New York - Chicago

Chicago labeled second city, and some say they are always trying to one up New York with skyscrapers (height wise), to get out of NY's shadow

New York also overshadows most of the east coast i.e.: Philly

Los Angeles vs Chicago - is Chicago upset at losing ground, and being passed up by Los Angeles, in population and on a global scale

D.C. overshadows Baltimore

Seattle overshadows Portland

Los Angeles San Diego or Los Angeles San Francisco
Houston - Atlanta, or Houston - Dallas / Houston and Dallas overshadow San Antonio
Etc. etc.

If you do feel your city is overshadowed by a certain citydo you think its with good reason considering the importance of the city?

Im talking strictly popularity, press, economic power, and exposure standpoint. Not my city is better than yours!


..........me personally I think most cities are overshadowed because the city they have to go up against, is usually out of their league in the importance catagory.....your city might be nice, and have things to offer, but usually, the other city just has more. (there are exceptions to that rule) Like Los Angeles - San Francisco or New York - Chicago, because they all are such world cities, with everything to offer.

what's your point of view?
haha, San Antonio is in the limelight a lot of the time so it has no inferority complex.A city doesn't have to be the biggest city in the state for that.San Antonio does it's own thing, it's very unique doesn't care about Houston or Dallas.If it did it would want to be more like them.San Antonio has it's own unique flavor.Dallas and Houston do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 01:40 AM
 
Location: Seattle, WA / Los Angeles, CA
288 posts, read 1,243,381 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
haha, San Antonio is in the limelight a lot of the time so it has no inferority complex.A city doesn't have to be the biggest city in the state for that.San Antonio does it's own thing, it's very unique doesn't care about Houston or Dallas.If it did it would want to be more like them.San Antonio has it's own unique flavor.Dallas and Houston do not.
Interesting outlook……..so there is no Houston – Dallas envy in S.A. – also could you shed me some light on this limelight you speak of (I’m not dissin’ you, I just might have missed it)
Whenever I think of Texas – I think Houston or Dallas, .Only time S.A. even comes into play with me is if the Spurs are playing the Lakers or the Supersonics.

Last edited by Monumental1; 11-12-2007 at 01:41 AM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 02:06 AM
 
2,560 posts, read 5,268,949 times
Reputation: 764
Tv shows like HGTV,A&E,Food Network,History channel, etc have segments in San Antonio.San Antonio is in the news quite often.Major sporting events like the Final Four, they love S.A.What do you hear about Houston and Dallas? same thing sports etc.San Antonio hosts many national events, Hosted Miss America in 2003.The Alamo Bowl is one of the most popular bowls now.One day San Antonio was hosting three different events on National Tv at the same time.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 11-12-2007 at 02:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 03:30 AM
 
Location: Portland, Maine
4,180 posts, read 13,047,443 times
Reputation: 1609
Baltimore is overshadowed by DC and for a good reason. DC is so much more important globally and to our nation. Even though I love Baltimore I understand that and accept it because I also love DC. For years it has been overlooked. However, in the last 20 or so years, it has come on to it's own and progressed rather nicely with it's own little niche on the east coast. Plus, we better transit options, folks from DC are now considering Baltimore as a place to live and play a bit more which has helped it economically. I don't think people in Baltimore have an inferiority complex to DC but there is definitely an antagonism with some of its residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 03:59 AM
 
Location: Seattle, WA / Los Angeles, CA
288 posts, read 1,243,381 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Tv shows like HGTV,A&E,Food Network,History channel, etc have segments in San Antonio.San Antonio is in the news quite often.Major sporting events like the Final Four, they love S.A.What do you hear about Houston and Dallas? same thing sports etc.San Antonio hosts many national events, Hosted Miss America in 2003.The Alamo Bowl is one of the most popular bowls now.One day San Antonio was hosting three different events on National Tv at the same time.
You know what....now that I think about it, my wife really likes this house flipping show on TV, and I think the business is located in S.A.

I believe it's on HGTV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 04:07 AM
 
Location: Seattle, WA / Los Angeles, CA
288 posts, read 1,243,381 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Baltimore is overshadowed by DC and for a good reason. DC is so much more important globally and to our nation. Even though I love Baltimore I understand that and accept it because I also love DC. For years it has been overlooked. However, in the last 20 or so years, it has come on to it's own and progressed rather nicely with it's own little niche on the east coast. Plus, we better transit options, folks from DC are now considering Baltimore as a place to live and play a bit more which has helped it economically. I don't think people in Baltimore have an inferiority complex to DC but there is definitely an antagonism with some of its residents.
That's very interesting.......I can only imagine being so close to D.C. and the level it's on would have to be a major shadow to get out of.

Interesing thing though.....I'm out west, and B-more is quite a familiar name to roll off the tongue. When we think east coast........we think NY, or D.C., but Baltimore, isn't unknown to us.

The city has one of my favorite city names.

I wasn't aware you had better transit options than D.C. though.

is this rail / bus what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 09:51 AM
 
4,953 posts, read 8,535,344 times
Reputation: 2067
DC and Baltimore are like two brothers. One went off to college to become a lawyer and the other one works at the local plant. This is not a slight against Bmore because it is a great place with great people. Many people in DC are ignorant about the real Baltimore because they only visit the inner harbor or O's games. Plus Montgomery County & PG County which are in Maryland are connected to DC more than Baltimore. I think there used to be a lot of antagonism but lately the two have started more regional cooperation because that is the only way the both can grow. If they ever extend the green line to Laurel/BWI, this will help bridge the two cities like the BART did for Oakland and SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 09:55 AM
 
2,248 posts, read 6,205,020 times
Reputation: 2078
I think Chicago does have an inferiority complex with both NYC and LA.

What's interesting is how Chicagoans use said inferiority complex to "bully" other Midwestern cities. Some typical responses:

"If it ain't Chicago, then it ain't worth living in!"

"I didn't know they wore shoes in Kansas City!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 10:26 AM
 
1,119 posts, read 2,462,259 times
Reputation: 382
I believe many Chicagoans consider NY the only city that is worth competing with ..i.e skylines, commerce & finance, business center, sports, urban core, quality of life, architecture, fine arts, transportation, global connectivity...the areas that NY & Chicago reign supreme over LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I think Chicago does have an inferiority complex with both NYC and LA.

[/i]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top