Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 02:46 AM

646 posts, read 813,645 times

Advertisements

We always heard about "Berlin Wall" the "Iron Curtain" and the condition the removal of physical boundaries left behind. People struggle when major transformations and transitions occur. The border areas still remain volatile and unstable for a while. When they settle over time there is still the unmarked relic of a border that exists in people's minds, Or doesn't exist in people's minds.

The US border with Mexico is an unstable area so did it ever really settle as a relic in the geographical sense because it's become galvanized again in recent times and back in major disputes?

But what "relic" borders that were physical in the country now still exist in spirit and outlook? and do they still draw contention.

Perhaps the Mason-Dixon line, a North South divide somewhere, that was originally drawn by British colonialists and Americans are still fighting over lines drawn by a pervious landlord. ?

Is the divide a relic between North and South California primarily due to water rights and Colorado River access? Not relic enough to not be contention. There are probably 'relic' borders and boundaries everywhere where physical boundaries were drawn between states and regions that only still exist mentally.

What others are there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 06:34 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Western New York and the New York City Metro. Western Connecticut and Eastern Connecticut.

Western CT is more NYC-like. People work in NYC, root for NYC sports teams. Eastern CT is more New England-like. People work in places like Hartford or maybe even Providence, and people root for New England sports teams.

WNY is more laid back. No pressure from the Big City. They like the Bills, Sabres, and Indians because their Triple-A team, the Buffalo Bisons, is the Cleveland Indians farm team. Kind of an ongoing battle between them and us... But we always win.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:10 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
i agree w/ So Connecticut being more NYC-centric. at least going up 95 north to New Haven. i grew up there and it was all about NYC. Yankees/Mets, Giants/Jets, Knicks of course. we called it the "the city". all the news channels covered NYC news.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:52 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
Ohio River for north/south and Mississippi River for east/west

Old 11-12-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i agree w/ So Connecticut being more NYC-centric. at least going up 95 north to New Haven. i grew up there and it was all about NYC. Yankees/Mets, Giants/Jets, Knicks of course. we called it the "the city". all the news channels covered NYC news.
Sounds like it follows the Metro North rail lines. Access makes a difference I suppose. The New Haven line, etc. the others go East as does Amtrak that links into Providence and on to Boston. Just a guess.

But I don't think these are such serious relic border issues where many get that overemotional about it, just home territory pride etc, there's nothing fierce about it like sometimes closer to a relic North South where in some areas some states are still very adamant about what side their on. And of course it's almost all out war on the US/Mexico border.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:01 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Just outside , any major city , is a "border" , and , an entrance to the rest of the state , that the big city overshadows.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:27 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times
I don't think the Mason-Dixon/Ohio River is a relic border. It may not be so obviously seen but I think it is stll there.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
I don't think the Mason-Dixon/Ohio River is a relic border. It may not be so obviously seen but I think it is stll there.
Probably not, I don't know but I get that impression. The political boundaries were removed after the Civil War following what was laid down by colonialism. Maybe we can understand some of our conflicts better if we look at them from a wider, historical, and larger world context, perspective and why those borders were drawn in the first place.

I guess they were removed after the CW, but why were they placed in the beginning? to divide people for a reason.

Yes, it seems to be still there but it must go further East. I mean I dunno completely but maybe I can find out.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:08 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times
I think the Mason-Dixon/Ohio river border has eroded some over the years, with northern immigration into the border states, but these two maps I think are very revealing. The first is the 1860 Presidential vote by county. The second is the 2000 US Census on Ancestry, with the largest self-identified group in each county. I guess the Mason-Dixon/Ohio border is a sort of buried cable, it's there but hard to see.

http://valley.vcdh.virginia.edu/Reference/discussions/maps/1860elec.gif (broken link)

Old 11-12-2007, 12:33 PM

Lot of splits there in the first.

Gosh won't the Puerto Ricans be upset since their presence in NY is so shaded with other places.

There still remains a lot of complicated politics of the border areas in identification and bias. But people going South or to border states from the North indicates the NE and North didn't pan out so well and that its sustainability has long peaked with changes of industries. But while so many are still doubting identities and loyalties from the relic past, they are forgetting the most important problem with that. These so-called Southern areas are heavily populated TODAY by people from Asia and Africa, the Middle East and "Americans' are obviously moving further and further out from core areas. There's like a concentric zone around DC's beltway that is so foreign born from the wealthy in the city whites and American blacks jobs, then it skips and the long time American residents pick up further and further into distant counties where more and more growth is occurring.

Sectors seem to be created by ethnicities and language moreso now than before. Language seems to erect invisible borders now, and they are not relics. Northerners and Southerners (American born) both speak English and they can't seem to get along. While they are involved in petty border squabbling, the infusion of the greatest immigration in US history from abroad is taking place. I guess the people in burkhas wear them cause they're laughing so hard!

What do they mean by "American". ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.