Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 11:38 PM

7 posts, read 11,167 times

Advertisements

Currently, I reside in the metro Detroit area and I am absolutely tired of it and disgusted by it. I'd like to move to a place where nature and wildlife thrives, a place that isn't 90% sidewalks and concrete. Also, a place where I don't have to see graffiti everyday and hear gunshots every night. I'm so over the crowded city lifestyle, and want to live in quiet place. So sick of the houses being smushed so close together.

I will be starting college soon; first spending my first two years at a community college here in Michigan, and then transferring to a university to finish up a Bachelor's degree in social work, and then go to graduate school to become a licensed clinical social worker.

I am introverted young women who enjoys reading, eating, and being outside. What cities/town have outdoorsy people who enjoy activities like say, ATVs and snowmobiling? I'd like to do those activities more often. I don't need access to dozens of museums, sports arenas, and stores to keep me happy and entertained. They wouldn't hurt, but I'm just saying I'd be just as happy without them.

Also, I want a place that has a good amount of young people around my age, I don't want to move to a place where everyone is retired or busy with a family. I want to be able to make some friends.

Some states I am attracted to and researching are; Idaho, New Hampshire, North Dakota, South Dakota, Maine. Would I be happy in these states, do they have what I am looking for? What are some suggestions? And can you tell me about a little about the states I listed above?

I posted a similar thread in the New Hampshire forum, I decided to create this because while New Hampshire is the state I'm most interested in, I would like some information about the other states as well and I don't think most people in NH forum would know a ton about a state like Idaho or North Dakota. Moving to new state is a huge decision, I would like to be as informed as possible and I want many different views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 11:41 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,961,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambiee View Post
Currently, I reside in the metro Detroit area and I am absolutely tired of it and disgusted by it. I'd like to move to a place where nature and wildlife thrives, a place that isn't 90% sidewalks and concrete. Also, a place where I don't have to see graffiti everyday and hear gunshots every night. I'm so over the crowded city lifestyle, and want to live in quiet place. So sick of the houses being smushed so close together.

I will be starting college soon; first spending my first two years at a community college here in Michigan, and then transferring to a university to finish up a Bachelor's degree in social work, and then go to graduate school to become a licensed clinical social worker.

I am introverted young women who enjoys reading, eating, and being outside. What cities/town have outdoorsy people who enjoy activities like say, ATVs and snowmobiling? I'd like to do those activities more often. I don't need access to dozens of museums, sports arenas, and stores to keep me happy and entertained. They wouldn't hurt, but I'm just saying I'd be just as happy without them.

Also, I want a place that has a good amount of young people around my age, I don't want to move to a place where everyone is retired or busy with a family. I want to be able to make some friends.

Some states I am attracted to and researching are; Idaho, New Hampshire, North Dakota, South Dakota, Maine. Would I be happy in these states, do they have what I am looking for? What are some suggestions? And can you tell me about a little about the states I listed above?

I posted a similar thread in the New Hampshire forum, I decided to create this because while New Hampshire is the state I'm most interested in, I would like some information about the other states as well and I don't think most people in NH forum would know a ton about a state like Idaho or North Dakota. Moving to new state is a huge decision, I would like to be as informed as possible and I want many different views.

No one but you can answer those questions for you. Just because someone else loves those areas does not mean you will, it simply means they do.

There is plenty of information online about all the states not just you mentioned. Do a search for that state then follow links and read it all.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:42 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,092,111 times
Ashville, Portsmouth, Eugene, Duluth, Santa Fe.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:41 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,420,146 times
Spearfish, SD
Hill City, SD
Bemidji, MN
Winona, MN
Grand Marais, MN

Old 08-08-2013, 01:57 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,788,708 times
Anchorage or suburbs of.

You may enjoy Ellensburg, Washington. Nice college town with ample outdoor activity year round within very short distances.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:42 AM

91,994 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Watertown, Potsdam, Canton and Plattsburgh in Upstate NY's North Country near the Adirondack Mountains. 3 of the 4 have 4 year colleges(Watertown doesn't) and are close to places where you can do the activities you want to do. You would also be close to major Canadian cities like Ottawa and Montreal, if you want a big city fix(just make sure to get an enhanced driver's license so you can cross the border). Plattsburgh is also across Lake Champlain from Burlington VT and that could be an option at times as well. Watertown does have Fort Drum Army Base, which will have a mix of people as well.

Cost of living is around the national average overall and the main thing to think about would be employment.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:32 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,577,260 times
It sounds like you just have wanderlust, or else you would have already found such a place 50 miles from Detroit.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:44 AM

805 posts, read 1,079,191 times
Yes, I was thinking the same thing, jtur88. Michigan certainly has areas that the OP would find desirable. Plus, at age 18 and heading off to college with a lot of school ahead of you (6 years!), why wouldn't you want to take advantage of in-state tuition in MI?

Michigan Community Colleges

This list shows plenty of community colleges in the type of environment you want. I think Alpena would be a great place to start- plenty, plenty of snowmobiling in the wintertime. Just a 2-3 hour drive from Nub's Nob too, which I'm sure you'd love. K-zoo would be a great environment for you too. I think what you really need, is just to get out of Detroit, but you may want to consider MI first. Moving to another state would be extremely costly, especially if your plan is to do as much schooling as you mentioned.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:58 AM

91,994 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Good points in the last two posts, as you could just stay in MI and move up north or just outside of the Detroit metro a little bit to find what you are looking for as well. During my time in East Lansing, I would think some of the small towns close by would work(i.e.-Williamstown, St. John's, Mason, Eaton Rapids, Webberville, etc.).

Old 08-08-2013, 10:05 AM

549 posts, read 842,916 times
Seriously look into Minnesota. Even if you go to U of M in Minneapolis, you'll feel much closer to nature being in the middle of that city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.