U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,848 times

Advertisements

I hate the suburbs, and I would prefer my family (upper-middle class, children) to be living in an apartment/condo, in a city, in a building along with other families.

The problem? There seems to be a stigma attached to families living in condos/apartments in the US. If you're single, that's fine. DINKs? No problem. And as long as you have toddlers, it's passable. But once the kids are old enough to go to school, you are expected to move into a detached home, or your friends will think something is wrong with you. And this usually means a suburb. And so most families in most places live in suburbs. But I hate the suburbs.

Of course, in many places in Asia/Europe, millions of healthy, well-adjusted children are being raised in apartments (or condos), and they turn up just fine. But we Americans have this notion of moving to the suburbs, which of course ruins our society in many ways, but that's a different topic.

My question:
Other than NYC, are there any other walkable American cities/neighborhoods where many middle-class or upper-middle-class families live in apartments? Ideally we would be walk to go a grocery store, coffee shops, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 10:56 AM

56,752 posts, read 81,082,761 times
Actually, college towns may work, as they tend to be walkable and have decent public transportation for their size.

It may also be more of a matter of find the right fit for whatever you are looking for. So, it may be more common than people think it is.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:11 AM

14,154 posts, read 19,792,852 times
Why don't you buy a detached home in the city?

Old 08-09-2013, 11:56 AM

2,891 posts, read 3,294,845 times
midtown in Miami is good for that plenty of new lofts being built too. other places like that in the miami area is downtown Kendall, as well as coconut grove.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:46 PM

9,033 posts, read 8,761,606 times
Certain neighborhoods in San Francisco are very popular with upper-class families, for example Noe Valley, which has become Stroller Central. It has some single-family housing interspersed with apartments and condos, and a cute retail strip with -- what else? -- a Whole Foods, along with a bunch of non-chain stores and restaurants, including a VERY good bakery.

(You did specify "walkable," but not "affordable.")

Old 08-09-2013, 12:51 PM

4,271 posts, read 6,360,706 times
Places where affluent families live in apartments/condos/coops (or row houses) in walkable neighborhoods without stigma at all:

Chicago
Boston
Washington DC
Atlanta
NYC

I might also throw in Seattle and San Francisco, but these are two cities are notorious for their dearth of children, so that might factor into your decision one way or another.

The problem with these cities, as with many big cities, is that the public schools will be a crapshoot. But if you can find a private, parochial or charter school that makes you happy--or if you can finagle your way into a strong public school--then I'd say go for it.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:08 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,548,998 times
My city of Louisville would work. I think Pittsburgh would too . . . Those are the ones that are actually super-affordable to
anyone. Any hi-$$$ city has places.
There are lots of cities, smaller ones I would opine, that would work for you and be very cheap, too

Old 08-09-2013, 02:24 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,949,725 times
Minneapolis (especially the Warehouse District and Downtown) or Portland.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:13 PM

56,752 posts, read 81,082,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
My city of Louisville would work. I think Pittsburgh would too . . . Those are the ones that are actually super-affordable to
anyone. Any hi-$$$ city has places.
There are lots of cities, smaller ones I would opine, that would work for you and be very cheap, too
I agree and where I live, these places may work: Sutton Real Estate Company, LLC

Dewitt Highland Luxurious Town Homes

Sutton Real Estate Company, LLC

Pike Block Apartments for Rent - Syracuse, NY Apartments | Apartment Finder

Sutton Real Estate Company, LLC

Old 08-09-2013, 04:50 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,401,410 times
Yeah, I'd say that Portland would qualify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.