Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2018, 08:36 AM

1,223 posts, read 912,201 times

Advertisements

It's low priority, but if Interstate 72 gets extended westward from Hannibal, Missouri, then Interstate 64 could be extended northwest from St. Louis to meet Interstate 72 in Hannibal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I-66 and I-95 were supposed to go through, but neighborhood opposition killed them. You can see little pieces of what was supposed to be a larger system. For instance, the E Street Freeway branching off the end of I-66 near the Kennedy Center was supposed to be the continuation of I-66, I think. Likewise, I-395 was originally going to be I-95, and the tunnel under the Mall near the Capitol was supposed to be the continuation of that road heading northward.
Interstate 66 probably would go go to Ocean City now if it did go through DC like originally planned. I did see an image idea over a decade ago for an idea to extend the Interstate 68 to Ocean City.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:46 PM

451 posts, read 359,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
It's low priority, but if Interstate 72 gets extended westward from Hannibal, Missouri, then Interstate 64 could be extended northwest from St. Louis to meet Interstate 72 in Hannibal.
It'd be nice if StL was connected to Des Moines, and therefore Minneapolis by interstate.

I-57 was a colossal waste of Money. It goes from Chicago to Sikeston Mo. I-55 also goes from Chicago to Sikeston Mo and was built first. The I-57 route saved 30 minutes.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:47 AM

Interstate 265 in the Louisville area has a missing link in-between Cementville, Indiana and Green Spring, Kentucky even though everything in-between is up to Interstate standards. It even has a tunnel that I only recently found out about through this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...s-tunnels.html

Old 02-17-2019, 12:46 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,645,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Interstate 76 between Arvada, CO and Big Springs, NE. What's the point of that one? Are there really that many people going to Denver in rural Nebraska?
Well yes, considering that I-80 is one of the busiest shipping corridors in the country. It would add several hours to the trip if one had to follow I-80 to Cheyenne and then down I-25 south. Connector routes are certainly necessary.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:01 PM

8,772 posts, read 10,176,009 times
Maybe not "needed" but I-20 not going all the way to Myrtle Beach was a shortsighted mistake on South Carolinas part, although to be fair MB was not quite yet the year-round destination when the highway was being proposed in the 60's that it is today.

I can't think of any "useless" Interstates, some are confusing to navigate if you don't know where you're going at first (like 73/74 in Greensboro), and some are just flat out boring as hell to travel (I-16 in Georgia) but they all serve some kind of purpose one way or another.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:51 PM

384 posts, read 268,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
In northern New England and northern New York, there is no east-west interstate. So when I went to northern Maine, I had to go south first and then north again; either that or take a slower back road. Clearly the presence of mountains limits where such a highway can be built.

Useless highway? They're building one (albeit a short one) in Prince Edward Island. I took the old route on the first Saturday in August and had no problems getting anywhere. The islanders didn't want it and I see why.

There were talks at one time to upgrade US 11 or NY 3 from Watertown NY eastward through the Adirondacks and Burlington Vermont into northern New Hampshire and northern Maine to join up at the northern terminus of Interstate 95. I would go a step further and continue this interstate further southwest to Oswego, Rochester, and along the south shore of Lake Ontario and to Niagara Falls by upgrading NY 104, (which is already expressway from St. Paul Blvd. in Rochester to Sodus).

Old 02-17-2019, 11:30 PM

384 posts, read 268,809 times
Here are my top 5 in no particular order
1.Extending Interstate 40 west of Barstow making it concurrent with I-15 to Victorville and sending it west along CA 14 and CA 18 to a new western terminus in Oxnard or Ventura. This would serve the northern half of the LA Basin while alleviating traffic on the busy I-15 corridor between Las Vegas and the Inland Empire.

2.Giving Western New York State a direct interstate link to the south. The most likely way this would happen would be upgrading US 15 through Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, and The Carolinas to directly connect to Interstate 85 near Raliegh/Durham or 95 further south. This would create an interstate-grade bypass around the congested Washington DC/Fredericksburg/Richmond Region and provide easy access to The Carolinas from Rochester, Buffalo, and Southern Ontario. Upgrading US 219 to interstate standards south of Buffalo down to Maryland could also be a viable option. Currently, going south from WNY to the beaches of the Carolinas either involves driving more than 90 miles in either direction to interstates which cut sharply southwest through the Virginias (I-81 goes to Tennessee while I-79 veers west to Charleston), or taking a patchwork of highways mixed with at-grade intersections and two-lane back roads that run through several towns with 30mph speed zones.

3.Extending I-27 northwest of Amarillo to provide a direct interstate connection between Texas and Denver.
4.Completing I-70 past Cove Fort Utah by upgrading much of US 50 through Nevada then running south of Lake Tahoe between Stockton and Modesto to serve San Jose and Santa Cruz.
5.Extending I-24 west of I-57 to connect Nashville and Kansas City. Currently, making this trip by car requires one to head due north up I-55 to St. Louis before going west the span of Missouri to Kansas City on I-70.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Maybe not "needed" but I-20 not going all the way to Myrtle Beach was a shortsighted mistake on South Carolinas part, although to be fair MB was not quite yet the year-round destination when the highway was being proposed in the 60's that it is today.

I can't think of any "useless" Interstates, some are confusing to navigate if you don't know where you're going at first (like 73/74 in Greensboro), and some are just flat out boring as hell to travel (I-16 in Georgia) but they all serve some kind of purpose one way or another.
For Interstate 73, I think they should've focused on having it go from Northern Michigan to Huntington, West Virginia before even starting to sign it in the Carolinas.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:05 PM

3,394 posts, read 4,566,659 times
Extend I-17 north from Flagstaff, have it follow Hwy 89 up to Page, AZ. Make it go around toward the west and cross the Colorado River. Rejoin Hwy 89 west of Big Water, UT. Take it north all the way to Hwy 20 and connect with I-15. The purpose for this is to connect Phoenix and Salt Lake City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.