Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 08:23 PM

601 posts, read 964,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
Most useless interstate

I-795 and I-295 in North Carolina:

I-295 is suppose to be a loop road around Fayetteville, which 1/4 complete and unnecessary. Fayetteville doesn't haven't the growth of Raleigh or Charlotte and the money shouldn't be wasted there, especially since it is taking away from Charlotte's loop (I-485) which has yet to completed after two decades of being under construction.

Ditto with I-795. It connects Goldsboro to Wilson and I-95, but there currently isn't enough traffic to justify building it since there are other fast growing areas in the state that need the money.
Thankfully, they are changing the formula for funding highways in NC. Rather than "dividing" funds between urban and rural areas, they will now go by facts and statistics for determining what roads and highways need funding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Arn't they extending I-540 to a complete loop around Raleigh with a southern arc around Cary and Apex?
Yes and no.

They are planning on a southern arc around south Wake, but that part, along with the current western section, will not be labeled as I-540, but as NC 540. This has to do with these sections becoming toll roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 5,157 times
If anything, for me, Kentucky's Parkway system is useless in the west. You won't see a car for miles, even though it's a controlled-access highway.

But Interstate highways? I'd say Interstate 8 is useless in Arizona past Mesa, Arizona. Another useless interstate would be many of the Illinois interstates. Many of them are like the parkways of Kentucky, I-74, 88, 72, 155 (Peoria) and a few others are useless and you won't see a car for miles.

My view on parkways is that the Hal Rogers Parkway is understandable, a major two lane route in a busy freight region is good for the area. But four lane wastes of tax money like the Audubon Parkway is just plain silly.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:50 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan The Dude View Post

But Interstate highways? I'd say Interstate 8 is useless in Arizona past Mesa, Arizona.
I-8 doesn't go anywhere near Mesa. It serves as an interstate for San Diego going to points east though Yuma and terminates in Casa Grand, AZ at I-10 about halfway between Phoenix and Tucson. It definitely serves a purpose connecting San Diego with a cross country route.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:28 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Needed in Florida:

Conversion of US301 into an Interstate linking Ocala and Jacksonville which would alleviate I-4 issues, as well as conversion of SR70 between Fort Pierce on the east coast to Sarasota on the west coast, similar to the conversion of Alligator Alley to I-75 further south.

Needed in Northern Virginia:

Conversion of Route 7/Leesburg Pike into limited access highway versus the current divided highway with stop lights to help alleviate what is quite possibly the worst traffic in the US.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:50 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Needed in Florida:

Conversion of US301 into an Interstate linking Ocala and Jacksonville which would alleviate I-4 issues, as well as conversion of SR70 between Fort Pierce on the east coast to Sarasota on the west coast, similar to the conversion of Alligator Alley to I-75 further south.

Needed in Northern Virginia:

Conversion of Route 7/Leesburg Pike into limited access highway versus the current divided highway with stop lights to help alleviate what is quite possibly the worst traffic in the US.
Wasn't the Fairfax parkway supposed to do this a bit - Also the Dulles throughway sort of runs parallel already but do agree 7 is bad

Also weren't there improvements to 28 (from the Dulles) back to 7?

My personal needed highway would be a continuation of 309 from the western Philly burbs (linking with the Blvd expressway) and over to 90 (the Betsy Ross Bridge) and 95

This would help alleviate some of the 76 traffic (from KOP to Center City) which is a bad as about any highway in the US

Old 03-24-2014, 10:27 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
We need more highway along 41 going from Naples to Miami. Two roads are seriously not enough.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:15 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
But there IS a highway that goes across the state between the two cities already.....you may just want/need more lanes.

Without looking at a map, I can't think of that many cities that aren't well connected by Interstate. Perhaps Austin to Houston should be interstate-grade. It's very strange that Austin only has one Interstate for a city its size (but I do know why that is). I've always thought that there should be something connecting the Twin Cities to Rochester to the medium-sized IA and IL cities between there and St. Louis too. I remember growing up that trip took 11 or 13 hours, depending on which alternative route we took to and fro. A direct route from Minneapolis to KC is about 7 hours (6.5 for me), so I'd assume that it would take a similar time from Minneapolis to St. Louis, maybe an extra hour (8 total).

For the most part, the only part of the country that may find itself in need of more connections is the Western half of the country, where the Interstates weren't built nearly to the same extent as there were out East, and also where much of the nation's growth has occurred over the past 65 years since the Interstates were created.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:48 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
It would be nice if Colorado Springs, with a metro population of over 650,000, had more than one freeway(which runs north/south). A cross-town/beltway or limited access highway on the east side would be useful.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:39 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
There needs to be an Interstate linking Columbus to Toledo, Ohio.

If I-73 ever gets approved from Michigan to Myrtle Beach, it will convert US-23 which currently connects Cbus to Toledo to interstate standards. But we can't even get I-73 going here in South Carolina for Myrtle Beach, which despite having millions of tourists per year has no interstate within 50 miles (I-95); so not sure if we will see what you are asking for in our lifetime.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:51 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
I-67 is being proposed between Washington Indiana and Bowling Green Kentucky. It would run through Owensboro KY in between existing I-65 and under construction I-69. If built, it would immediately become the most useless interstate in the country,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.