Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 07:36 PM

4 posts, read 8,024 times

Advertisements

I need out! I don't even live a huge city proper, I live in a suburb 5 minutes away from Detroit, the bankrupt city. I'm even getting tired of of suburbs. I need something different in my life, so I made a couple lists.

Things I'm Looking For:

Woods and wildlife! (Nature!)
A quiet place where music isn't blasting all night
Nice, friendly people who aren't materialistic
The sky, I want be be able to actually see the stars.
Fresh air.
Barbeques
Young People (20s-early 30s)

Things I'm Running From:

Houses smushed so close together
Small fenced in yards
Buildings/sidewalks EVERYWHERE.
Boring malls
cookie cutter suburbs/houses

I do not want to be completely isolated though, I want to be able to drive a reasonable distances to grocery stores, movie theaters, maybe a few restaurants, etc. I don't care about museums or art places, don't have a big interest in them. Do places/towns/cities like I described exist anymore, or am I just demanding too much? The place doesn't have to have all my "requirements" but try to come close. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 07:49 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
I think there are plenty of places that fit all of those requirements except for one: young people. It's simply a statistical fact that most people in their 20s have been choosing to spend that portion of their lives in cities and close-in suburbs. There are definitely exurbs and "country" areas not too far from cities that could help meet your need to be around the young, but it'll be tough finding a Mayberry that has lots of young folks.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:55 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I think I've seen this type of thread before, but perhaps a small college or even military town may do.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:05 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkner View Post
I need out! I don't even live a huge city proper, I live in a suburb 5 minutes away from Detroit, the bankrupt city. I'm even getting tired of of suburbs. I need something different in my life, so I made a couple lists.

Things I'm Looking For:

Fresh air.
Barbeques

Things I'm Running From:

Small fenced in yards
Boring malls

I do not want to be completely isolated though, I want to be able to drive a reasonable distances to grocery stores, movie theaters, maybe a few restaurants, etc. I don't care about museums or art places, don't have a big interest in them. Do places/towns/cities like I described exist anymore, or am I just demanding too much? The place doesn't have to have all my "requirements" but try to come close. Any suggestions?
Most of America by land area meets what you are looking for . . . except for SINGLE young people in the 20s-early 30s).

Generally unless young people get married young and start a family in their home town, they often leave for larger cities. You may have some single people in that age group, but they are usually ALL from there, and have a rather tight, impenetrable social group.

I'm a nature and outdoor person, but live in an urban area, and spend my weekends on the hiking trails, etc. (actually I spend my weeks often in small towns too, because my work brings me there). As a guy, living in a small town would bring out a bad side to me . . . I would be tempted to move in on women who are already taken, because there wouldn't be many other options. Don't want to break that "9th commandment!"

In this case, any college town will fit your definition. College towns will have a large population of 20s/early 30s who are transplants, and transplants are usually easier to meet.

Frankly, being in Michigan I wonder why you are even asking this question as you do have options of having both in many towns.

You can simply move to Livingston county and find what you're looking for - its not hard, you can go into Ann Arbor or Royal Oak to meet other young people. Or you can also live in town then drive out to the state lands where theres woods.

Its really not hard to have both, if you're willing to drive, but its very rare to have both - in the exact same location. Lots of young adults, and rural/nature/etc. usually don't go together. Its part of nature really, just look at all the animals that congregate in huge rookeries.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I think there are plenty of places that fit all of those requirements except for one: young people. It's simply a statistical fact that most people in their 20s have been choosing to spend that portion of their lives in cities and close-in suburbs. There are definitely exurbs and "country" areas not too far from cities that could help meet your need to be around the young, but it'll be tough finding a Mayberry that has lots of young folks.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. And it's sad that young people these days choose to live in such closed in spaces and indoors all the time like some caged in puppy. It's almost like they're scared of nature. People think I'm weird because I don't want to be just another fancy yuppie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Frankly, being in Michigan I wonder why you are even asking this question as you do have options of having both in many towns.
I should have mentioned I'm tired of the weather. The snowy, icy winters. Frost on the windows everyday, snow is pretty at at first then it gets all black and mushy and becomes an inconvenience.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:19 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Ha - I said the exact same thing without even looking at this!!

But yeah, deep down I am not a city person really at all, but I have experienced what its like to live in areas where dating prospect truly suck, even though I really like the towns and countryside themselves.

So, I prefer large western cities primarily, with national parks, mountains, etc., short drives away with lots of meetup groups where I can meet tons of people who like the same activities I do. Western cities, even LA believe it or not, generally have way more people who like doing this stuff, than eastern cities.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:30 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,824,413 times
Cle Elum. Very nice little town surrounded by hills, mountains, and woods. It has a nice downtown area, and a large Safeway with a gas station that has very reasonably priced gas. It is near Ellensburg (about a 20 to 30 minute drive, but beyond the point where forest starts to turn into steppe and desert) which is a college town and will have many 20 and 30 somethings. An hour and a half to two hours over Snoqualmie Pass (depending on traffic) gets you into Seattle. About the same amount of travel time will get you to Wentachee, or about an hour to Yakima, and another hour beyond will get you to the Tri-Cities.

You'll be able to see the stars, see wildlife, hike the woods, and all kinds of fun outdoorsy type things all year round. Plus, the nearby Teanaway River Valley is truly God's country.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:52 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Quote:

Things I'm Looking For:

Fresh air.
Barbeques

Things I'm Running From:

Small fenced in yards
Boring malls

Jeez! You really cant drive 20 or 30 miles in any direction from Detroit and find what you are looking for?

Old 08-15-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Jeez! You really cant drive 20 or 30 miles in any direction from Detroit and find what you are looking for?

Wow. Try reading the whole thread, it's only a few posts.
I said I don't want to have to deal with snow and ice anymore. So unless I can banish certain weather from Michigan, no, I won't find that here.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:20 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Wow. Try reading the whole thread, it's only a few posts.
I said I don't want to have to deal with snow and ice anymore. So unless I can banish certain weather from Michigan, no, I won't find that here.
What are you doing for employment? That'll dictate a lot as to how easy it'll be to make the move. Smaller, more rural areas can be difficult to find work in. Asheville, NC would fit your criteria quite well but is a difficult place to find work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.