Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:56 PM

818 posts, read 857,348 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are 36 and looking to move. As I look at our literal list of destinations, a lot of them are in the South. Baton Rouge, Austin, Charlotte, Dallas, Atlanta, Chapel Hill, Durham, Florida( not sure where in FL). We've lived outside of Chicago our whole lives and for some reason the idea of living down south fascinates us both. Would you recommend we ditch all of our non-South moving locations and narrow down from the above list and if so, where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 01:36 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
It looks like all the towns on that list are in the south. Florida however is not really culturally southern, so if your looking for the southern culture you will not find that much of it in Florida. Florida is split between the Midwest(gulf side) and the northeast (Atlantic side). The cultures of those two regions dominate on their respective sides of Florida. Only north Florida still retains some southern culture.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:05 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
My wife and I are 36 and looking to move. As I look at our literal list of destinations, a lot of them are in the South. Baton Rouge, Austin, Charlotte, Dallas, Atlanta, Chapel Hill, Durham, Florida( not sure where in FL). We've lived outside of Chicago our whole lives and for some reason the idea of living down south fascinates us both. Would you recommend we ditch all of our non-South moving locations and narrow down from the above list and if so, where?
I'm a big fan of Durham/Chapel Hill/Carrboro having lived there for 7 years sandwiched between living in Washington DC, Philly, NYC and Florida. The area has the amenities of cities many times it's size yet retains a modern Southern feel with a slower pace of life, appreciation for tradition and yet the progressiveness of any Northern city in 2013. I highly recommend a closer look and visit if you haven't already.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:12 AM

29 posts, read 27,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post

At 36, there is lot to consider. some of the cities you mentioned are fairly huge cities in many respects. Chicagoland is a different animal than what you have mentioned for sure. If you want great amenities, then you have to stick with Dallas, Atlanta, and to lesser degree Charlotte. There are smart southern cities and not so smart to primitive cities even though they 'look' like they have something going on but are behind decades when compared to others (eg Birmingham, AL, Memphis, TN et al). Then you have really enlightened culturally that is, towns such as Chapel Hill and Charleston which is not on your list. Austin is one the most up and coming cities in the US, but I would NOT characterize it as "southern". You could not get me to live in Baton Rouge...sorry...or New Orleans either). Southern also doesn't mean "redneck" either, but there are some real rednecks of course all around. Of the pure traditional but advanced southern cities number one is probably Atlanta, but it has become almost East-coast-ish. Charlotte is an excellent choice, a good blend of southern traditional and 'new South'. You also might ADD Nashville TN to your list of very much up and coming 'new South cities'.

Hmm...at 36 I might take a shot for a few years at Charlotte or Nashville first, then explore westward for an entirely different experience, say Austin, or head to St Augustine, FL and kick back a while.

The South is no monolithic contrary to what you might think...just like the North. Rochester is not like Philly...Philly is nothing like Boston. There are some dumps in the north like Newark or Camden or Harrisburg, and some dumps in the south, like Jackson, Memphis, Birmingham, Montgomery. Then there are great smaller towns in the South too ! like Greenville-Spartanburg, Charleston, Savannah, St. Augustine, Asheville NC, Huntsville, Ocala, Rome.

You have lots of time I would hope to see this great nation and it really is diverse as hell. There are similar things in every city, but the people make the difference. I would also check SperlingsBest Cities as well, CNNMoney does a good job (sometimes). This online blog stuff is not that reliable and is chugged full of paid posters, real estate agents, mortgage brokers, and people that work for relo outfits, and chambers of commerce, so buyer beware. I've lived in Chicago and another city in the Midwest, and if I had to make an informed change and choice it might be Charlotte, then Nashville (for entirely different reasons...as in no income tax in TN). For pure fun, no winter coats, variety of people and experiences it would be westcoastFL.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:50 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
What are you looking for in a new city/town?

Old 08-16-2013, 01:10 PM

320 posts, read 578,442 times
You should consider cities in other regions too. Anybody from another region wanting to move down south should visit first.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:49 PM

818 posts, read 857,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What are you looking for in a new city/town?
Well we a cleaner and safe city. Our son's in college so never mind the school system and an entertaining nightlife( not like clubs/bars but you get the idea)

Old 08-18-2013, 11:26 PM

122 posts, read 181,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
It looks like all the towns on that list are in the south. Florida however is not really culturally southern, so if your looking for the southern culture you will not find that much of it in Florida. Florida is split between the Midwest(gulf side) and the northeast (Atlantic side). The cultures of those two regions dominate on their respective sides of Florida. Only north Florida still retains some southern culture.

I would argue that the counties in the Florida Heartland and much of Polk county (all of which exist in the southern portion of the state) is fairly southern as well. Culturally and politically. Although im sure the threadstarter would find those places far removed from the locations they would deem desirable to move to

Old 08-19-2013, 09:07 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
I've traveled to several cities on your list and can say... Durham, Austin, and Dallas are cool places and have lots of oppurtunities as well. Charlotte also is a good pick as is Atlanta there is tons to do there museum and amusement wise.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:30 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,185 times
I love the southern states and of course being a Florida native I'm biased lol, but Florida is not really "southern " in terms of culture (except for North Florida which certainly is) Florida is more Latin/Caribbean.

Just look around and think about what makes you happy. What us drawing you to these places? If you're interested in Florida I recommend St. Augustine, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and Sarasota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.