U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:25 PM

421 posts, read 263,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy feet View Post
Can't this be anywhere in New England too? Definitely not "overly hot" and of course, imo the New England region gets the prettiest version of the four seasons. But, maybe like the Maryland/Virginia part of the country due to the climate being a little warmer than say Vermont.
Doesn't it get cold as hell up there?

Denver has to be there, but it's a bit dry, I know technically that's not a factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 09:46 PM

97 posts, read 55,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post

Denver has to be there, but it's a bit dry, I know technically that's not a factor.
Oh, well, the cold would be subjective. As an Arizonian, I would turn into an ice cube up there

The west is kind of dry as a whole. There are exceptions, like the PNW and SE Alaska. Montana/Idaho get about 15 inches of rain in a year. But they probably get more snow instead

The East/Midwest have some brutal winters, but when it is not falling... If you live near the coast on the East the winters are not going to all that terrible comparing to its inland towns.

Someone mentioned Flagstaff above me. I would agree with them. You can also take about an hour drive to see Sedona, which gets some amazing color in the fall, combined with the red rocks, it's absolutely gorgeous. Flagstaff is also dry... Also not as much snow as Denver I would assume.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:52 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,980,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
West central Florida on the coast. It can get a little too cold in the winter but generally not too bad, spring, summer and fall are great though.
I don't think this is what the OP asked for. Winters in Florida in general aren't "true" winters and even falls and springs are warm compared to the northeast, for example. IMO, somewhere in the northeast answers this question - from NJ up to Maine at the least. This area has cold, snowy winters (some areas see more snow than others but the mid-Atlantic will get at least one bad snowstorm a winter), a spring that sees blooming and warm weather, hot and humid summers, and cool crisp falls with changing and falling leaves. Florida does not have all of this.

I could extend this from Maine to North Carolina, because areas of NC do see snow but I think the northeast sees more of a true winter. Our seasons are also pretty balanced at least in my area. We really do have four true and distinct seasons with typical weather patterns for each.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:02 PM

6,669 posts, read 3,933,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't think this is what the OP asked for. Winters in Florida in general aren't "true" winters and even falls and springs are warm compared to the northeast, for example. IMO, somewhere in the northeast answers this question - from NJ up to Maine at the least. This area has cold, snowy winters (some areas see more snow than others but the mid-Atlantic will get at least one bad snowstorm a winter), a spring that sees blooming and warm weather, hot and humid summers, and cool crisp falls with changing and falling leaves. Florida does not have all of this.

I could extend this from Maine to North Carolina, because areas of NC do see snow but I think the northeast sees more of a true winter. Our seasons are also pretty balanced at least in my area. We really do have four true and distinct seasons with typical weather patterns for each.
I think this might be the best post so far.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:18 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,980,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I think this might be the best post so far.
Thanks!

Old 08-16-2013, 10:28 PM

9,120 posts, read 12,183,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Chicago has four seasons. Problem is they often occur in one day.
That's Denver's problem too.

I don't like the Denver suggestion. We don't have "4 perfect seasons". We have a 8 month snowy season, with all kinds of temperature swings, 1 rainy month, 1 stormy month, 1 HOT month, and 1 perfect month.

Problem is, in those 4 non-snowy months, they are all mixed together, just like the 8 snowy months.

Where else can you have snow on May 1st, and come the middle of June be sweltering?

How can the fallen leaves have a foot of snow on them while you're trick-or-treating?

How can there be no snow on Christmas? Or a high of 68F in late July?

How could anybody consider any of that four perfect seasons?

Old 08-16-2013, 10:48 PM

22,797 posts, read 17,735,470 times
You know, some states have 4 distinct seasons but some seasons are longer than others. For example, where I live it can be in the 80s from mid-April - mid-October, during the daytime, making it feel like a longer summer. Fall, Winter and Spring are shorter seasons.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:47 AM

8,489 posts, read 11,246,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

I answered as I did since "true" winter weather is subjective. 10's of millions of people live in a climates where winter weather means cooler weather but not months of mostly below freezing weather and snow.
He asked for the perfect 4 seasons, central Florida has the perfect 4 seasons for many.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:08 AM

7,022 posts, read 3,311,971 times
New England to the Midwest is the answer to this question. Here in Boston we get almost exactly even measures of all the seasons. 3 months of each.

The way people talk on this board, you would think that Boston is way up in the arctic recesses of the world, I have news for those people: If Boston were in Europe it would be in the Mediterranean about an hour's drive north of Rome and/or Madrid and it is closer to the equator than it is to the North Pole.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 08-17-2013 at 07:19 AM..

Old 08-17-2013, 07:14 AM

7,022 posts, read 3,311,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post

It can get cold as hell up there in Burlington but it also get hot as hell too. But you are correct, winter dominates summer by a slight margin in Northern Vermont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.