Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 11:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Never been to Nebraska, but passed through the Dakotas. From what I remember, the eastern Dakotas appeared like a less populated version of the Midwest, while the western Dakotas were rather stark looking (though much more scenic), very empty and to me, "western".
Omaha (where DH is from) is on the eastern edge of Nebraska. It's very midwestern in appearance and feel. Western Nebraska is mainly open cropland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 11:48 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
[As a serious question] What is midwestern in appearance and feel to you?

Old 08-25-2013, 11:57 AM

Speaking of Omaha:

It's on a grid. Numbered streets run N/S, west from the Missouri River. The higher the number, the farther from the river. An old downtown area. Lots of trees, grass, pretty conservative type landscaping, none of this crazy xeriscaping you see here. Churches in just about every block along the main streets, including in the residential areas. People eat dinner sometime between about 5:30 and 6:30, even in a social setting on a weekend, e.g. weddings. (My sister-in-law does weddings there.) People dress a little more formally than here in metro Denver. Very family oriented. Just a few things.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:30 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
YES! I, an easterner, have actually had this conversation with my midwestern husband. I get tired of his family and their anti-eastern crap, and saying stuff like, "You're OK for an easterner". My DH once asked me what was wrong with that statement! I said, what about the rest of my family and everyone I grew up with? He appeared to think I had made a point.

What is it with some of these superior attitude midwesterners?
Wait, isn't that your entire MO on this board?

I have never, ever in my entire life heard a single person say anything "anti-eastern." Then again, I don't live in Nebraska. Also, I've heard all kinds of "flyover" crap regarding where I live from people on both coasts (though primarily West Coast in my experience) in addition to you specifically, so Katiana: What is up with your superior attitude?

Old 08-26-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post

I have never, ever in my entire life heard a single person say anything "anti-eastern." Then again, I don't live in Nebraska. Also, I've heard all kinds of "flyover" crap regarding where I live from people on both coasts (though primarily West Coast in my experience) in addition to you specifically, so Katiana: What is up with your superior attitude?
I don't know what you're talking about, in regards to me. Perhaps you could post an example or two? I do not live on a coast, any coast, and I do not use the term "flyover", except as a joke on myself occasionally. So cut the crap.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:55 AM

517 posts, read 678,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
[As a serious question] What is midwestern in appearance and feel to you?
Flat, agricultural or industrial orientation, grid street pattern.

That accounts for most of the Midwest.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:01 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
Cincinnati is not a typical Midwestern city. It's firmly on the border of some very distinct regions. The West side of Cincinnati is very Midwestern culturally, the South side is undisputedly Southern culture, and the Northern suburbs are what finally start feeling like Ohio. HOWEVER, the East side of Cincinnati is home to a lot of old money and corporate elites. They're scattered around the hillsides and live a lifestyle very similar to the East Coast.
South side of Cincinnati?

Are you talking about the suburbs south of Cincinnati in Kentucky?

Old 08-26-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Just FYI, I did a search for how many times I've used the word "flyover" in the 6 1/2 years I've been on CD. Weeding out the duplicates, nine times I referred to myself as living in flyover country; once I quoted someone talking about flyover country, and I used it today in my response to you.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:28 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't know what you're talking about, in regards to me. Perhaps you could post an example or two? I do not live on a coast, any coast, and I do not use the term "flyover", except as a joke on myself occasionally. So cut the crap.
There are examples all over the forum. In this thread, I posted pictures of where I grew up, which are very similar in lifestyle and obviously look very much like New England. When someone agreed and enjoyed the photos, you jumped in for some reason and wrote "Except it's fresh water, not salt water," trying to be dismissive and back-handed. When I asked you what your point was, you ignored it, knowing that you were simply giving that superior attitude you claim only others have.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
There are examples all over the forum. In this thread, I posted pictures of where I grew up, which are very similar in lifestyle and obviously look very much like New England. When someone agreed and enjoyed the photos, you jumped in for some reason and wrote "Except it's fresh water, not salt water," trying to be dismissive and back-handed. When I asked you what your point was, you ignored it, knowing that you were simply giving that superior attitude you claim only others have.
I'm glad you can discern all that from a comment about fresh water vs salt water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.