Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:55 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,855 times

Advertisements

The nice thing about moving somewhere is, if you don't like, you can move back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 11:12 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
It's not crazy, but you need more than a climate change to make a successful move. While climate affects your lifestyle, it's one factor only--more factors have to be put in the pot. Sometimes people overshoot, too; they go from cold, cloudy winters for 6 months to hot, unbearable summers for the same amt. of time. Then, it's just the same essentially!

Old 08-21-2013, 02:38 PM

549 posts, read 848,463 times
It's not crazy at all. I was born and raised in Wisconsin and after I graduated, I found myself in a stalling pattern. Generally I was enjoying my life, but I wasn't moving forward. I began a search for a new home in 2005 and I found that things are VERY different in person than on paper. I had no desire to visit Cincinnati before I began taking roadtrips in 2005 to find my dream city. Once I got there, I felt at home instantly, and now 7 years later, I'm living my dream life in Over-the-Rhine.

My point is that there is nothing wrong with moving for climate and lifestyle, but take recommendations with a grain of salt. Every city is different and only you can decide what works best for you.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:58 PM

372 posts, read 599,388 times
Yes climate is a good reason to move, just don't let it be the only reason. Since you don't like all the snow, look into states like Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, New Mexico.

If you really want to move to California, start looking online for teaching jobs in the area you'd like to live. Go on the school district websites and look at the employment postings maybe? Don't give up on California you might just find decent teaching jobs. Make sure to get a job first before you move to any state.

I'm thinking about moving to New England actually! Possibly in Connecticut or Massachusetts. It seems like a cozy place to live, but hey. Everyone has their own preferences, and I hope you will be able to find jobs in a place you'll love!

Old 08-21-2013, 04:23 PM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where'sTheBeach? View Post
My husband and I are in our 30s. We've been talking about moving away from cold New England for years. We wouldn't be moving for work. We are teachers and there's plenty of work here. I've been at my job for about 10 years and I enjoy it very much. I like the people I work with, I feel respected, and think it's a great job.
We wouldn't be moving to be closer to family. My husband's family is spread across the country, and mine is all here. I have a good relationship with my family, but I know I will visit if I do move.
One reason we want to move is the climate. My husband is from the west coast. He is not used to these long New England winters, and I hate them. I love being outside, but I hide in our apartment all winter long. I makes me feel depressed.
The other reason we want to move is the culture. We live in the south coast of MA, where there is little interested in healthy food, healthy lifestyle, art. We could move closer to the city, but it's too expensive, and we're still stuck with the cold, miserable winters.
We go back and forth on moving. One year, we say we'll save up in a few years and hit the road. The next year, we say we'll make due and vacation on the west coast as much as possible.
My question is, is it stupid and crazy to move across the country for a new culture and weather? I feel like what's keeping us here might be inertia and resignation, but is it really common sense? California would be our #1 choice, as my husband's family is there, but as teachers, it doesn't seem possible. We've looked into Florida (still too east coast), Oregon (too rainy), and Texas (too… Texas), and now we're considering Arizona. Has anyone else struggled with this same dilemma and actually made a decision? Thanks in advance for the insight.
I think it is a good idea if you can afford the move.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:32 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Not crazy at all, a lot of people move for both of those reasons.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:44 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,966 times
May I submit Nevada. The school system is getting better. We live in a state with no state taxes and our school system reflects that. But as with most schools parental involvement is a marker for success. My point being you both could probably find work here and do weekend trips to So-Cal about 4 hours away. Here you get a cheaper cost of living, a State tax-free income and access to beaches, lakes, mountains, snow and family with our international airport.

I'm a Cali native and thought of moving back but just can't stomach the abuse of the taxation in my home state. Mind you I'm a product of that taxation (schooling, etc.) But I know of many people legal and illegal abusing the safety nets set in place. I want to fund my own retirement not 10 of my neighbors. Let me clarify, I believe in paying taxes for social programs managed responsibly.

Oh yeah, this is prime time for you and your spouse. You have 10 years of proven work under your belt, haven't started a family yet and are young enough to set roots as grown-ups.

Last edited by MAXIALE02; 08-21-2013 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: last paragraph

Old 08-21-2013, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,405 times
We live in the Prescott AZ area. There is a local college and a 5,000 seat (?) arena that both have very popular venues including ice skating and hockey games. There are a few museums and there is always something going on at the Prescott Courthouse "Square". Hiking, a few small lakes and mountains close by. We are about 5,000 feet up so the weather is more moderate than Phoenix. Avg summer temp around 88 deg and winter avg 30 deg. Several healthy food options. Several health food stores within a 30 drive, as well as an organic restaurant. Several farmers markets and co-op's. We have 'high-desert' allergies and will have to move soon too, but will miss the 'easy-going, friendliness' of the people of the area. We need something closer to sea level, a little more moist and preferably green with moderate summers and winters, know of any?

Old 08-21-2013, 05:59 PM

372 posts, read 599,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
May I submit Nevada. The school system is getting better. We live in a state with no state taxes and our school system reflects that. But as with most schools parental involvement is a marker for success. My point being you both could probably find work here and do weekend trips to So-Cal about 4 hours away. Here you get a cheaper cost of living, a State tax-free income and access to beaches, lakes, mountains, snow and family with our international airport.

Hey, I was considering Nevada as a possible state to move to. But I hear a lot of people say many people there are transient and move a lot.. is that true? Because if that is the case, I think it would be hard to make/keep friends. Nevada is a pretty state though.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:53 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
Hey, I was considering Nevada as a possible state to move to. But I hear a lot of people say many people there are transient and move a lot.. is that true? Because if that is the case, I think it would be hard to make/keep friends. Nevada is a pretty state though.
It can be a transient state because a lot of people move here without doing their homework or having the skills or education to keep a job. Another consideration is if you have a gambling problem , not a good idea to try it out. Making friends is easy because everybody here is from somewhere else. If you are a person who has a tough time making friends...it's not a location issue. I'm very shy but have had no problems with making friends here either via co-workers or places I frequent.

I honestly believe that Las Vegas is an up and coming West coast hub due to the budget problems I alluded to in my prior post. I moved away for three years and when I came back, it seemed as if half of California had moved in. This is a good thing because they have brought businesses and services that were lacking. The bad is lack of water resources. We may have to tap into another source to provide for the population growth. Starting in 2014, there will be another area code added to out 702!

The good thing about Nevada is that it has a live and let live vibe that I find very attractive. I think some refer to it as Libertarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.