U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 03:47 PM

66 posts, read 138,765 times

Advertisements

I've mused on this forum before about starting a new life in another state after finishing my computer science degree here in Texas.

Well, I've explored around a bit and was even lucky enough to go on special trip to Massachusetts and Maine to see what New England was like. It felt like a storybook with the little old houses and quaint coastlines, but not quite "home." Beautiful, nonetheless, and there's no reason it couldn't be home one day (except for....winters )

I'm thinking more on it, and I envision the perfect city (I can do that since my degree is marketable, right? ) to be like this (in order of importance):

1. NOT in an earthquake zone.

2. NOT in a tornado-prone area. Ironically, I've only lived in GA, MO, and TX, which are indeed tornado areas. I don't know how I survived my childhood, because every storm still keeps me up at night, glued to the weather channel.

3. Not freezing cold in the winter.

4. Near a coastline.

Where might I find a place like this, if anywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 04:02 PM

13,976 posts, read 18,695,428 times
South east. Tornadoes are almost everywhere and coastlines have them due to hurricanes and other large storms coming in.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:14 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,134,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole.cpp View Post
I've mused on this forum before about starting a new life in another state after finishing my computer science degree here in Texas.

Well, I've explored around a bit and was even lucky enough to go on special trip to Massachusetts and Maine to see what New England was like. It felt like a storybook with the little old houses and quaint coastlines, but not quite "home." Beautiful, nonetheless, and there's no reason it couldn't be home one day (except for....winters )

I'm thinking more on it, and I envision the perfect city (I can do that since my degree is marketable, right? ) to be like this (in order of importance):

1. NOT in an earthquake zone.

2. NOT in a tornado-prone area. Ironically, I've only lived in GA, MO, and TX, which are indeed tornado areas. I don't know how I survived my childhood, because every storm still keeps me up at night, glued to the weather channel.

3. Not freezing cold in the winter.

4. Near a coastline.

Where might I find a place like this, if anywhere?
You are a programmer program.

Find maps of earthquakes, hurricanes, tornado possibilities Overlay them. Takes what is left and overlay the average winter low temperature. Than pick from the coastal cities that remain.

My suspicion is you have ruled out everywhere...but who knows. Note that I presume you rule out hurricanes as well though you did not say that. If you allow hurricanes you are undoubtedly headed to the southern east coast.

Otherwise you will likely end up with a more complicated trade off.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:08 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,466,883 times
Florida (Orlando, Jacksonville, Tampa, Miami).

Old 08-25-2013, 05:53 PM

4,133 posts, read 5,940,379 times
Washington DC, maybe Baltimore would fit your needs.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:56 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,642,972 times
Hampton Roads area, VA or Wilmington, NC

Old 08-25-2013, 05:57 PM

66 posts, read 138,765 times
@Ivoc - I like the overlay idea, but there seem to be a lot of maps with somewhat different ideas of where the tornadoes are.

Is there, by any chance, an area in the Southeast that might be in the "tornado zone" by default but doesn't actually tend to get them? Some little haven with just the right geography, perhaps?

Old 08-25-2013, 05:58 PM

541 posts, read 1,343,501 times
Jacksonville

Virginia Beach

Old 08-25-2013, 06:30 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,134,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole.cpp View Post
@Ivoc - I like the overlay idea, but there seem to be a lot of maps with somewhat different ideas of where the tornadoes are.

Is there, by any chance, an area in the Southeast that might be in the "tornado zone" by default but doesn't actually tend to get them? Some little haven with just the right geography, perhaps?
Tornadoes are so rare in the coastal zone of the southeast you can ignore them. If you want to make your living as a techie go for Washington, Maryland, NoVa. Those are the places on the SE coast where you can make it as a techie. If however you want to make a living with a Techie background...that is you don't think you are ever going to be a great programmer or reach the upper strata of computer science..Atlanta and all the big Florida cities always need talent.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:13 PM

5,787 posts, read 6,335,815 times
Tornadoes are very rare here in Jacksonville. I would imagine this is true for many parts of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or