U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 12:49 PM

52 posts, read 79,040 times

Advertisements

besides New York. Hello, I'm new here and never thought about joining until recently as it was brought to attention to just join and ask questions BEFORE I decide where I want to move. Here's my deal: I currently reside in the south ....practically the middle of nowhere and one NEEDS to have a car. I've wanted to relocate to a big city for YEARS...if I want to go way back then I would say since I was 7 years old. Hasn't happened yet (and I'm getting old)...though I did just come back from a short stint abroad last June. I'm not opposed to having a car but for me it is just easier to pack up and go with everything in my suitcases/catch a flight and go from there...if I have to buy a car at some point then I'd have to buy a car. But honestly, I would prefer somewhere with decent public transporation; it doesn't have to be great but decent and of course safe. I've wanted to move to southern California in the past but always paused because I read that you MUST have a car there since it's so spread out and the public transporation is a joke...this is just what I read. What about other cities? Those who are living in fairly medium-large cities can you post whether or not a public transport system exists or not....whether it's decent or not? I guess I'm open to many different places provided I do my research and narrow it down but I really want to leave the southern region of the U. S. To be honest, I'm not too keen on the midwest either but would consider it (I think Chicago has a good public transport system?) but somewhere like Minnesota is out. Though...for me, it's all about the right opportunity (job market plays a big role). I'm open to places with diversity. By the way, I've already done a preliminary search on this topic already and didn't quite find what I was looking for...

Last edited by HoneyNMint; 08-27-2013 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 12:59 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,844,629 times
You can live and work in the Chicago area without needing to own a car, but you can own one if you want to.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:14 PM

12,581 posts, read 15,050,467 times
New York, Washington DC, San Francisco, Chicago.

Southern California is a joke, in terms of public transportation. It's too spread out and large for public transportation to be efficient.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
New York, Washington DC, San Francisco, Chicago.

Southern California is a joke, in terms of public transportation. It's too spread out and large for public transportation to be efficient.
Yes, I already know about New York (hence what I said in my post, lol) but I'm not sure how I feel about Washington, D. C. You mentioned San Francisco and I see that you live there. Can you tell me a little more about it? Do you personally use the public transporation? If so, do you like it?

Old 08-27-2013, 02:10 PM

4,454 posts, read 7,520,622 times
Aside from the New York, the most robust transit networks are in:

- Chicago
- Washington, DC
- Boston
- Philadelphia
- San Francisco

These are cities where you will find at least 25% of the population using public transportation daily, which is a pretty good proxy for extensiveness of the network.

Honorable mentions would be Seattle and Atlanta.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:34 PM

1,813 posts, read 3,423,541 times
I think Seattle has good transportation. Best, after New York, are Washington, San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia, and Chicago--not necessarily in that order. I've heard more than one person say they managed very well in Los Angeles without a car. It is very far flung but people do figure it out.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
I think Seattle has good transportation. Best, after New York, are Washington, San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia, and Chicago--not necessarily in that order. I've heard more than one person say they managed very well in Los Angeles without a car. It is very far flung but people do figure it out.
I was wondering where Philadelphia fit in...

Old 08-27-2013, 02:55 PM

1,401 posts, read 1,640,442 times
Portland is very good too

Old 08-27-2013, 03:35 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,832,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
LA does have a decent mass transit system. Other sunbelt cities that are good with mass transit are Atlanta and the Miami metro area in the south along with Dallas.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:50 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,464,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyNMint View Post
I was wondering where Philadelphia fit in...
It's right up there with Chicago and Washington DC when it comes to transportation.

Philly rail options
Commuter rail lines: 15
Subway lines: 3
Light rail lines: 8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or