Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 07:30 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Chicago's broke and it was already humiliated in 2009 with its boot in the first round of the finals. I think Seattle would make a great city for the Summer Games.
I'd bet a bottom dollar that it probably won't be an American city in 2024. Does Seattle even want to host an Olympics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 06:00 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I'd bet a bottom dollar that it probably won't be an American city in 2024. Does Seattle even want to host an Olympics?
Who knows which Olympic city will the next in the U.S. but by 2024 it will be 28 years since a summer games city in the U.S. (Atlanta). Considering the Summer Games were held in L.A. in 1932 and not again in the U.S. until L.A. again in 1984, this isn't unusual. Not sure if Seattle is interested but the question is which city should bid; Seattle summers are nice and it's a booming place right now.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:38 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
I think an Olympics for Seattle would be perfect. It would boost tourism and but pressure for the Seattle to grow rapidly. I don't think the price tag for American cities is too much. Seattle area has plenty of facilities right now. Husky stadium can be a major venue, centurylink field after some major upgrades (aka a roof) and slight modifications, and Safeco field can be formatted for many events aswell with upgrades (possible track and field?). Plenty of indoor arenas with the Comcast arena (12,000 capacity), showare center (8,000 capacity), hec Ed (which needs major renovations as is), Tacoma venue (the Tacoma dome may be replaced by then), key arena (if it still exists), and the new Seattle arena that's planned. The rail system in the city will be expanded by then, waterfront will be finished, Seattle center should be renovated. I think they only actually have to invest into a few things. A new aquatic center will need to be built. Also general attractions in the area will need to be added like more waterfront activities, museums in the core of the city, and etc. things that have already been planned or proposed just need to be taken into action. I think the area could handle it.

Also I think we would be perfect for a winter games. Only thing we would need to do is upgrade the existing ski resorts and force the state to fix the problem with is the cascade mountain passes (borough through the mountain).

Old 12-15-2013, 11:57 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Reno/Tahoe would be good for the Winter Games not the summer. The Winter Games are traditionally held in smaller cities than the Summer Olympics. Reno is much larger than Lillehammer, Norway or Nagano, Japan, to be sure. Japan chose to have Nagano as the host city for the winter games even though its a city nobody has heard of before even though Japan has many famous large cities that are known internationally. I think Salt Lake City and Vancouver were the two truly large cities to have the Winter Games. (btw if Vancouver can have the Winter Games I guess Seattle and Portland can too).

And about what cities America wants to show to the world....idk. Las Vegas is already a very famous place and it has a lot of hotel capacity. A games in Texas would also show a different slice of America to the world, a more Americana type of place. I think showcasing a heartland city like Kansas City or Omaha would also be great though I personally felt Atlanta was a good representation of America beyond NY, DC, Chicago and California. It was a very all-American show in Atlanta as much as some folks hated the cheerleaders and pickup trucks. I felt that was a very authentic American welcome with a Southern twist. Cheerleaders are great. I wouldnt' be against them be at the Olympics, and I don't know if European soccer games have them.

For those say that Dallas and Houston need more public transportation, the Olympics would be a good opportunity to get extra federal funding for new mass transit lines and save local taxpayers some money.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Reno/Tahoe would be good for the Winter Games not the summer. The Winter Games are traditionally held in smaller cities than the Summer Olympics. Reno is much larger than Lillehammer, Norway or Nagano, Japan, to be sure. Japan chose to have Nagano as the host city for the winter games even though its a city nobody has heard of before even though Japan has many famous large cities that are known internationally. I think Salt Lake City and Vancouver were the two truly large cities to have the Winter Games. (btw if Vancouver can have the Winter Games I guess Seattle and Portland can too).

And about what cities America wants to show to the world....idk. Las Vegas is already a very famous place and it has a lot of hotel capacity. A games in Texas would also show a different slice of America to the world, a more Americana type of place. I think showcasing a heartland city like Kansas City or Omaha would also be great though I personally felt Atlanta was a good representation of America beyond NY, DC, Chicago and California. It was a very all-American show in Atlanta as much as some folks hated the cheerleaders and pickup trucks. I felt that was a very authentic American welcome with a Southern twist. Cheerleaders are great. I wouldnt' be against them be at the Olympics, and I don't know if European soccer games have them.

For those say that Dallas and Houston need more public transportation, the Olympics would be a good opportunity to get extra federal funding for new mass transit lines and save local taxpayers some money.
It's hotter then heck in Dallas and Houston in the summer. It would be an ideal place to host a games for those who have to run outside.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:50 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
these requirements likely change on the whim of whatever IOC PooBah is within earshot but if the citizenry knew what they were in for and needed to provide, it's doubtful that the IOC could find anyone to host them. From a Vanity Fair Article on the London Games:

To comply with its terms, London must designate 250 miles of dedicated traffic lanes for the exclusive use of athletes and “the Olympic Family,†including I.O.C. members, honorary members, and “such other persons as may be designated by the IOC.†(These traffic lanes are sometimes called “Zil lanes,†alluding to the Soviet-era express lanes in Moscow reserved for the politburo’s favorite limousines.) Members of the Olympic Family must also have at their disposal at least 500 air-conditioned limousines with chauffeurs wearing uniforms and caps. London must set aside, and pay for, 40,000 hotel rooms, including 1,800 four- and five-star rooms for the I.O.C. and its associates, for the entire period of the Games. London must cede to the I.O.C. the rights to all intellectual property relating to the Games, including the international trademark on the phrase “London 2012.†Although mail service and the issuance of currency are among any nation’s sovereign rights, the contract requires the British government to obtain the I.O.C.’s “prior written approval†for virtually any symbolic commemoration of the Games, including Olympic-themed postage stamps, coins, and banknotes.

Can London Afford the $14.5 Billion Price Tag of the Summer 2012 Olympic Games? | Vanity Fair
Interesting. I was talking less about the during the games expenditures and more about the infrastructure required. I can't even seem to find a simple list of all the venues involved in hosting the London Olympics, that's really sort of what I'm looking for.

for example:
One Main Olympic Stadium - min capacity X
Y Secondary Stadiums within Z miles
Olympic village to house X Athletes
etc.

I'm sure it's the type of info that I could determine through research, I'm just sort of shocked it hasn't already been compiled together somewhere already, but I can't find it anywhere.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:47 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Interesting. I was talking less about the during the games expenditures and more about the infrastructure required. I can't even seem to find a simple list of all the venues involved in hosting the London Olympics, that's really sort of what I'm looking for.

for example:
One Main Olympic Stadium - min capacity X
Y Secondary Stadiums within Z miles
Olympic village to house X Athletes
etc.

I'm sure it's the type of info that I could determine through research, I'm just sort of shocked it hasn't already been compiled together somewhere already, but I can't find it anywhere.
I don't think the document exists that specifies the "requirements". Instead the bid process (which is amazingly complex) solicits more of a "show us what you got" type of theme. This includes a questionaire that can be found here (2022 Games) http://www.olympic.org/Documents/Hos...with-cover.pdf and is part of a much larger process than I think any of us really has an appreciation for.

The process as a whole is explained here and I believe just to submit an initial bid for the most recent games awarded would cost a host country $500,000.

All about the bid process

Old 12-17-2013, 09:39 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
It's hotter then heck in Dallas and Houston in the summer. It would be an ideal place to host a games for those who have to run outside.
Obviously not written by a distance runner. They usually prefer 50 degree weather. Rio's marathon next year will be pretty rough.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:04 PM

230 posts, read 343,410 times
San Jose or Houston is my choice

Old 12-18-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
Obviously not written by a distance runner. They usually prefer 50 degree weather. Rio's marathon next year will be pretty rough.
I actually meant Wouldn't aha My mistake. It's too hot there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.