U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 01:00 PM

85 posts, read 107,333 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have a problem; We cannot agree on where to settle down,and we need your suggestions! We are both from Wisconsin, and living in his hometown, which is about 45 min from my hometown. He really likes it here, and I can't stand it. We're looking to find a compromise, but so far it's been very hard.

He likes: seasons, snow, fishing, pickup trucks, hanging out with his friends from high school, low cost of living, residing in a house, plowing snow, doing his own house repairs, cloudy days, Dallas Cowboys

He hates: humidity, hot temperatures, moving a lot (his mom did it to him as a kid, and it's severely colored his opinion of it negatively), his mom (she's mentally ill, and we could both use less time with her), renting

I like: 50-80-degree range of temperatures, good mass transit (or at least good walkability and bike-ability), city amenities (like festivals, restaurants ,parks), walking my dog, gardening

I hate: long winters, more than a few inches of snow, getting into a cold vehicle or cold bed, when it gets dark at 4pm, mosquitoes

Obviously, there is no place that fits everything in these lists. I mean, the snow issue itself rules out every place on earth (it can’t snow and not snow at the same time). But does any state or city come to mind that might be a good middle ground? I am willing to live somewhere that it snows, as long as it doesn’t stick around for five months. And being from Wisconsin, when I say I hate cold, I mean like below zero temperatures. I can handle a couple months of 30s for his happiness as long as it doesn’t stretch into April (like it did this year in WI). But I would prefer 40s/50s.

My first and favorite thought was the San Francisco Bay area, but that got shot down due to the cost of living and housing. Next we were thinking Texas somewhere, but then realized most of the state is still incredibly humid in the summer. My latest idea was Albuquerque NM, but he turned up his nose at that too. Personally, I think that one wouldn’t be so bad for us, but he’s just trying to find something wrong with every place I suggest so that we just stay here forever. He's never lived anywhere but WI, but I don't think that means he's scared, just stubborn. And he really does like it here.

Anywhere else I can research and look into? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 01:05 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,926,426 times
Any coastal California town that is also near a mountain city. The coastal towns aren't nearly as hot as the towns just a few miles inland. You can drive to the mountains in an hour or two to enjoy the snow and the change of seasons, and then drive home to enjoy mild summer temps. When I used to live in Manhattan Beach it was common to go skiing at Big Bear and then drive home and go surfing all in the same day. Or, do the reverse if you need a less expensive idea. You could live in Big Bear, which isn't as pricey as the beach towns, and drive to the beach on those winter days when you're sick of the snow.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:09 PM

404 posts, read 738,970 times
Denver or anywhere else on the front range of Colorado literally fits your requirements perfectly. Even the snow/no snow one. The snow doesn't stay on the ground for very long at all on the front range, but up in the mountains you will find snow almost year round

Old 08-29-2013, 01:27 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,437,766 times
I would think Seattle would match a lot of that criteria. You have plenty of cloudy days lol, it's not hot, good city amenities, walk able, good bus system, never more than a few inches of snow on the ground and it goes away quickly, and you're near mountains with A LOT of snow if you want that.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:18 PM

390 posts, read 785,508 times
Boise Idaho or Albuquerque would be a good fit for your family

Old 08-29-2013, 04:03 PM

85 posts, read 107,333 times
Thank you for all the suggestions so far! Keep 'em coming! The more I have for my husband to look through, the better!

Old 08-29-2013, 04:46 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,583,215 times
Denver seems to be obvious answer

Old 08-29-2013, 05:45 PM

613 posts, read 978,780 times
Denver or Portland, OR.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:34 PM

2,647 posts, read 4,828,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonil View Post
My latest idea was Albuquerque NM, but he turned up his nose at that too. Personally, I think that one wouldn’t be so bad for us, but he’s just trying to find something wrong with every place I suggest so that we just stay here forever. He's never lived anywhere but WI, but I don't think that means he's scared, just stubborn. And he really does like it here.

Anywhere else I can research and look into? Thanks in advance!
Have you ever been to Albuquerque? I suggest moving somewhere else in Wisconsin like Milwaukee. The weather there is not as cold in winter due the proximity to Lake Michigan. You will have big city amenities, festivals, fabulous parks, walkable neighborhoods and public transit. Check out the Bay View neighborhood which is very close to the lake. For a nice suburban neighborhood look at Oak Creek. To get the most lake effect on the weather one should be east of I94/I43.

For the really big city experience one can take the Amtrak Hiawatha line to Chicago from Milwaukee. There are 14 trains per day and it takes 89 minutes.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:02 PM

12,618 posts, read 15,081,361 times
Denver, Seattle, or Portland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or