Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:23 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,103,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Boring Rectangular Places: Dakotas
LOL

Loved the description, but the Dakotas are really unique places, and quite beautiful!!!! I take it you havent been there before? South Dakota is especially beautiful in alot of areas.

http://www.trashcansutra.com/archives/RoadTrip727-05.jpg (broken link)

http://www.sdjudicial.com/circuit_courts/secondcircuit/images/image001.jpg (broken link)

http://et3016.k12.sd.us/semestertest/images/badlands.jpg (broken link)

http://www.travelsd.com/_images/placestogo/badlands.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 05:10 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,224,697 times
Thanks for the map, Colts! One thing I still don't get here, is where the plains begin and end. One thing I've frequently heard is "the 100th meridian" separating the dry west from the humid east. I've heard people say that if you drive east on I-70, around Salina, KS, you can see the landscape become greener and less wide-open. So if that's true, why are there people who say Kansas City, several hundred miles east of that, isn't a real midwestern city? How far east do you have to go before the stereotypical Kansas/Nebraksa look ends? The middle of Kansas? The Missouri river? Halfway through the state of MO?

Here's another big question I'm interested in: what parts of the midwest are naturally forested? I love trees, and I would love to live in a city that is literally carved into a forest instead of having just trees planted by man. What I have in mind is what the Washington, DC area looks like. Is there anything like that in the midwest?

Old 11-15-2007, 05:23 PM

26,373 posts, read 46,209,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I would extend the Great Plains area further to the east in Nebraska and Kansas. West of Topeka, KS and Omaha/Lincoln NE it is pretty much the Great Plains in my opinion.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:31 AM

217 posts, read 876,991 times
Great map! My husband likes the fact that someone actually acknowledges eastern Ohio is distinct from the rest of the state. And as someone who travelled to the southern parts of Illinois and Missouri, the red southern parts are accurate too. Although I do think some parts of southern Indiana could be red too, especially the area around Evansville, and probably Louisville's Indiana suburbs.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:29 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,336,156 times
Quote:
Upperland: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan
Lowerland: Iowa, Missouri, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois
Boring Rectangular Places: Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas

You've got the rustbelt, the cornbelt, and the Dakotas
Rustbelt and cornbelt intersect in Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and even Iowa, although the general definition of the rustbelt ends with a couple of arms around Milwaukee and Rockford.

St. Louis is somewhat unique in that it feels southern, although Indianapolis is "southern" for me as well.

Amish country is found mostly in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa. Maybe Missouri?
The cornbelt also covers quite an extensive portion of Missouri as well. Cornfields can be found as far south as Joplin and Monett in Missouri, and they do grow in the Ozarks as well. I'd say Missouri is roughly about 80% in the cornbelt. The cornbelt even covers the northernmost portions of Kentucky and Northeastern Oklahoma, though the land in Oklahoma may be irrigated.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:50 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,875,017 times
Yes, I've been to Wall Drug and the Corn Palace. I'm not enthralled by the Badlands or Mount Rushmore.

There is no Upper Midwest in Indiana or Ohio. Try that map again.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:37 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,336,156 times
There are not quite as many Amish in Missouri is Indiana or Ohio, that's for sure, but we definitely have Amish communities living here. Mostly Old Order I believe. They can be found as far south as U.S. Highway 60, in extreme Southern Missouri, although that region is more Southern than Midwestern, as defined by Colts' map.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:23 AM

6,749 posts, read 21,997,482 times
I have seen maps that put amish folks in Tennessee as well and Tennessee is definately South!

Old 11-16-2007, 07:23 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,000,072 times
Quote:
Yes, I've been to Wall Drug and the Corn Palace. I'm not enthralled by the Badlands or Mount Rushmore.

There is no Upper Midwest in Indiana or Ohio. Try that map again.
Sorry, nope. While I think Ohio and Indiana are generally more in line with the Lower Midwest, the accents and topography of northern Indiana/Ohio are noticeably similar to much of Michigan for example. That's like saying there's no Southern areas in Missouri.

And besides--the United States Census, National Weather Service, Library of Congress, and United States Geological Survey all define the "Upper Midwest" as being comprised of the states of Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:32 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,000,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
The cornbelt also covers quite an extensive portion of Missouri as well. Cornfields can be found as far south as Joplin and Monett in Missouri, and they do grow in the Ozarks as well. I'd say Missouri is roughly about 80% in the cornbelt. The cornbelt even covers the northernmost portions of Kentucky and Northeastern Oklahoma, though the land in Oklahoma may be irrigated.
You know ajf, I just love it when we actually agree on things
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.