Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 05:55 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I'm just talking about the town, not the surrounding area (which IS KY and MO). The town of Cairo looks like some of the most impoverished Delta towns, e.g., Grennville, MI, Helena, AR.
Yea, you're correct about that one...Missouri around where Cairo is lies essentially in the northernmost boundary of the Mississippi Delta...it is completely surrounded by Southern states in that area. Southeast Missouri basically from Cape Girardeau on down I've always felt really does not fit in well with the rest of the state at all....that part of the state is 100% Southern. They are less like a part of Missouri and more like a part of Southwestern Kentucky or Northeastern Arkansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 05:18 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Northern Ohio along the lake is definitely Great Lakes. I live in NE Ohio near pa and most people around here don't have much of an accent. You go to cleveland, toledo and even parts of akron (all of which are relatively close to where i live) and they all the the great lakes thing going on. They are always calling me Kaaaaaaathy up there!
I met a family last week at the zoo from your area and hon, they definately had an accent! I knew right away they weren't from here. They were VERY nice people too.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:44 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Simplest groupings:

Upper Midwest: Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan

Lower Midwest: Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio

The extreme northern portions of Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio, particularly around places like Chicago, Rockford, Elkhart, Gary, South Bend, Toledo, and Cleveland can be considered the Upper Midwest, but the bottom line is that the majority of these three states fit in much better with the Lower Midwest. The extreme southern portions of Missouri (specifically the part that dips down into Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Kentucky) can be grouped in with the Upper South. This part of Missouri has virtually nothing Midwestern to it.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:09 PM

86 posts, read 307,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallylady46 View Post
Great map! My husband likes the fact that someone actually acknowledges eastern Ohio is distinct from the rest of the state. And as someone who travelled to the southern parts of Illinois and Missouri, the red southern parts are accurate too. Although I do think some parts of southern Indiana could be red too, especially the area around Evansville, and probably Louisville's Indiana suburbs.
No doubt that the L'ville suburbs in Indiana are "southern." New Albany, Jeffersonville, Clarksville all still allowed smoking in their fast food restaurants last time I was there. And the southern drawl is prominent.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfTheSunbelt View Post
No doubt that the L'ville suburbs in Indiana are "southern." New Albany, Jeffersonville, Clarksville all still allowed smoking in their fast food restaurants last time I was there. And the southern drawl is prominent.
Heck, Valparaiso, IN allowed smoking in restaurants the last time I was there, though I think they have recently passed a "no smoking ordinance" for restaurants. Valpo is 13 miles from L. Michigan in N. Indiana. It's an Indiana thing.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfTheSunbelt View Post
I haven't seen smoking in fast food places here in a looooooong time. Louisville has passed a smoking ban but not sure about IN.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:07 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I haven't seen smoking in fast food places here in a looooooong time. Louisville has passed a smoking ban but not sure about IN.
I suspect he was using a gross exaggeration of events he saw here years ago. Indeed, you won't find smoking in a single public building anywhere in Louisville. The Indiana suburbs of Louisville still allow smoking in some cities, but CERTAINLY not in fast food restaurants!

Old 11-26-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I suspect he was using a gross exaggeration of events he saw here years ago. Indeed, you won't find smoking in a single public building anywhere in Louisville. The Indiana suburbs of Louisville still allow smoking in some cities, but CERTAINLY not in fast food restaurants!
I remember when I had my first job at a Hardee's smoking was allowed but that was quite a while ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.