Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 11:34 AM

39 posts, read 80,503 times

Advertisements

This like a bad breakup. I am NOT MOVING to the SOUTH. Please STOP trying to convince someone other than yourself that you are something you are not. I speak from experience when I say the SOUTH is NOT progressive enough for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 11:44 AM

15,952 posts, read 20,911,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Snap View Post
Please STOP trying to convince someone other than yourself that you are something you are not.
Stop throwing out bait like that if you don't want this to turn into an argument. You can't insult an entire region based on a few of your own personal experiences and not expect people to counter it with their experiences and opinions.
If you don't want to live in the south fine, not a problem, the problem is you want to generalize and to state your opinion as fact. As you can see a lot of people don't like to let that kind of thing slide.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:46 AM

12,385 posts, read 28,383,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There are a few progressive, less urban islands in the South, such as areas just outside the Triangle in NC (e.g., Carrboro), Asheville, Eureka Springs, AK( just east of the Fayetteville area), etc. Many college towns would also fit the bill, like Charlottesville, Chapel Hill, etc.
I've driven from Charlotte to Asheville and around it and while Asheville itself is progressive, I wouldn't call the area around it that way. Esp not in the sense of what you'll find in New England or Northern California. I know there are urban islands like college towns, but I think the OP is looking for RURAL areas that are progressive. The area north of SF for example from Marin all the way to Humboldt is basically mixed with aging hippies, rich people and apple/wine/pot/organic chicken/organic dairy farms.

For instance it took me a minute to find this on another forum all from different people in different threads

"I have heard (but not experienced myself) that there is tension between the long time "redneck type" residents and the new "hippie type" residents that have moved in recently. I guess you would have to spend some time there to be sure. I do know some of the areas well outside Asheville are a little iffy as far as the redneck factor, so if that bothers you I guess either stay near Asheville or pick someplace else."

" Within the city there's a very nice attitude of "To each his own." Once you get outside of the city, sure, it gets a bit redneck, and some of that does bleed into town. "

"Anywhere you move should be less liberal than Portland, I would think. :-) Especially in the South. Ashville is hardly an arts community...and is surrounded by some pretty redneck areas, although a couple of them are arts places. Others are religious retreats. "

"Ashville, despite the conservatism in surrounding areas, is still a progressive hotspot in the south."

"asheville is pretty liberal --- inside the city itself, outside the city, pretty redneck. rebel flags, nascar bumperstickers, and women with mullets driving big ass trucks are much more common sight than anything else. i am so confused why ppl from all over the u.s. move here. "

Last edited by grapico; 09-12-2013 at 11:58 AM..

Old 09-12-2013, 12:00 PM

26,826 posts, read 43,300,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Stop throwing out bait like that if you don't want this to turn into an argument. You can't insult an entire region based on a few of your own personal experiences and not expect people to counter it with their experiences and opinions.
If you don't want to live in the south fine, not a problem, the problem is you want to generalize and to state your opinion as fact. As you can see a lot of people don't like to let that kind of thing slide.
Exactly. Perpetuating stereotypes is something this forum isn't about and if the OP wants to sick her head in the dirt someplace in the Northeast and pretend otherwise, fine. But don't go on writing off an entire region of the country you obviously know nothing about and expect a bunch of head-nodding.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:27 PM

47 posts, read 91,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Snap View Post
This like a bad breakup. I am NOT MOVING to the SOUTH. Please STOP trying to convince someone other than yourself that you are something you are not. I speak from experience when I say the SOUTH is NOT progressive enough for me.
Yes, I get that. And I don't think that myself or anyone else seriously suggested places in the south. We acknowledge that you have personally ruled it out. And I would not argue with your experiences. I haven't lived where you have (I assume). But what you are saying - "...TRYING TO CONVINCE SOMEONE OTHER THAN YOURSELF THAT YOU ARE SOMETHING YOU ARE NOT" is offensive. And not at all accurate in my case.

What someone else stated (something about us deep-down knowing it) is simply false.

And asserting, as another poster did, that the south is just one huge red area, is false.

I am not trying to convince you to move anywhere. You just painted a whole area with a broad brush though, and some posters (not you), seized the opportunity to perpetuate some old myths and south-bash.

Like we are just going to sit here and NOT point out how extremely bogus that is.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:29 PM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I've driven from Charlotte to Asheville and around it and while Asheville itself is progressive, I wouldn't call the area around it that way. Esp not in the sense of what you'll find in New England or Northern California. I know there are urban islands like college towns, but I think the OP is looking for RURAL areas that are progressive. The area north of SF for example from Marin all the way to Humboldt is basically mixed with aging hippies, rich people and apple/wine/pot/organic chicken/organic dairy farms.
Yeah I wasn't sure if smaller metro areas or suburban areas qualified or if the OP was looking for actual rural areas and nothing more.

But by this token, if the South is excluded, shouldn't the Midwest be excluded also? Seems like her only viable options are New England and California/PNW.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
My opinion is not the same as your own. I am sorry that is so difficult for you to handle.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutiny77 View Post
seems like her only viable options are new england and california/pnw.
yes please!!!

Old 09-12-2013, 12:36 PM

47 posts, read 91,155 times
Going back to your original request though, I think the Pacific Northwest is awesome. I am a progressive and outdoorsy. I like the amenities of city living with the feel of country (but not suburbia). The hubster and I agree the Pac NW is our ideal area to live. I love the mountains and the ocean. He loves the beach and skiing. The water is too cold to swim in, but he grew up in Oregon so he doesn't mind. I can't name any specific towns, but if we could move anywhere, it would be somewhere in that area.

Best wishes to you in your search for the perfect place to call home!

Old 09-12-2013, 12:41 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,383,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah I wasn't sure if smaller metro areas or suburban areas qualified or if the OP was looking for actual rural areas and nothing more.

But by this token, if the South is excluded, shouldn't the Midwest be excluded also? Seems like her only viable options are New England and California/PNW.
Pretty much, that is what I alluded to and already said I considered rural areas outside of Chicago in IL/IN pretty hick also, or at the very least, on the conservative side. Not what I'd call progressive communities. Maybe also around Seattle or something but I know less about it.
If you want a progressive small city, college town, or neighborhoods in big cities they can definitely be found in the south, if you want rural and progressive, going to be much harder to find, yes same with midwest and in general most of the country. Outside of the Bay Area and Boston are definitely options, caveat, you are paying top dollar for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.