Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 12:44 PM

23,281 posts, read 23,649,722 times
California and Arizona - a world apart politically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 01:52 PM

213 posts, read 320,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Southern Illinois has nothing in common with Chicago. Many residents of southern Illinois shop in western Kentucky.
Depends on which parts of Southern Illinois you're talking about. Far southern Illinois residents shop in Western Kentucky. The rest shop in St. Louis, which does have a lot in common with Chicago. Southern Illinois is a transitional area and is half Midwest-half Southern. So to say it has nothing at all in common with Chicago is being less than truthful.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:53 PM

213 posts, read 320,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
There is no difference between southeast Ohio and West Virginia. Same thing with western Maryland and WV.
Western Maryland only shares commonality with Northern West Virginia and Southwestern Pennsylvania. Northern West Virginia is more Northeastern than Southern anyway.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:41 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,383,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Gotta disagree with that one, unless you're talking about West River SD.

Eastern SD and the western part of MN (heck, basically everything west of the Cities and south of Brainerd) is pretty much the same place that just happens to have a state border that runs through it.
OK? That's not the point of this thread.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:26 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,634,243 times
Colorado is similar to every state it touches in some way. But I think Colorado/New Mexico is the most dramatic difference (culturally).

Old 09-13-2013, 03:36 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,227,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
OK? That's not the point of this thread.
Uh, yeah, it is. I'm just pointing out that there's a greater dichotomy in the same state than there is with a neighboring state.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:09 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,593,649 times
Oregon and Nevada share 150 miles of border, but not much else.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:31 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,276,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I would hardly call Oklahoma and Colorado (or New Mexico) "border states" in the traditional sense. I think there are less than 60 miles of shared border between Colorado and the Oklahoma Panhandle.

I can't think of any state that shares a significant border with another state where the areas that border aren't similar around the border. For instance, Spokane, and Pullman, WA are very much Idahoesque. Moreover, northern Idaho revolves to a great degree around Spokane. But certainly Western Washington is different than Idaho.

East Texas, North Louisiana and Southern Arkansas are very similar to each other. Probably moreso than east Texas/the rest of Texas or southern Arkansas/Northern Arkansas and especially northern and southern Louisiana.
That's why I put in states as a whole on the OP. Pensacola, Florida is similar to Mobile, AL, and Jacksonville is similar to Georgia. But Florida south of Orlando is a completely different animal from North Florida, and most of Florida resides below Orlando. And Oklahoma does border New Mexico and Colorado on the map, so it's valid.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:31 PM

624 posts, read 899,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
The OP seems to be regarding extremes, and there are no such extremes that exist in most of these states. Both TX and LA can easily be regarded as the most unique southern states, they're both in the South Central sub-region of the larger South, they both possess German, Spanish, and French history, they're both cotton states, have a cowboy culture, etc. Most of the state lives along I-35 or east of it, and, in this region, there are influences tying us mostly to the states east of us.

No one said anything about us having a GREAT deal in common with Louisiana, but it's not the state that we have the least in common with. I'm not sure how any native Texan could claim anything but New Mexico.

I would have to agree with this, San Antonio is in south central Texas and Lake Charles, LA is 340 miles away. In contrast Las Cruces, NM is 600 miles away. El Paso and NM are on Mountain Time the rest of TX is on Central Time.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:33 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,882,867 times
I'd say NJ and DE and NJ and PA. NJ and NY are pretty alike in the areas around NYC, but once you hit upstate NY, outside the metro region, it's nothing like NJ, NYC, or LI.

Even south and north Jersey are different so it's hard to say but in general I don't think DE and PA are much like NJ for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.