Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 01:24 PM

92 posts, read 498,661 times

Advertisements

Really? You're even considering Oklahoma City?

Go to Portland and never look back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 02:09 PM

676 posts, read 2,788,733 times
What draw would Oklahoma City have besides a Job?

Old 11-16-2007, 02:32 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,187,786 times
While I like Oklahoma City for what it is, OKC doesn't really have much that you can't get in other cities. If it is between Portland, Oregon and OKC, I would go Portland any day. If its between Portland, Maine...then the choice is a bit more difficult. It would really depend on whether having big city amenities was important to you, and if you could put up with cold Maine winters.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:14 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,980,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris+169 View Post
I know both of these cities are different, but im still having a tough time deciding knowing nothing about them, but I have job offers to both of these cities and I was wondering if anyone could give me a description of them. If i chose one I plan to rent and I will need to rely on public transportation and im into doing alot of activities like hiking, biking, and mountain climbing. Weather is not a problem I've lived throughout the United States my entire life so im use to hot weather or rain. Any information would be nice. Thank you
I'm an east coast boy, who now lives out west, but spent considerable time in Okla City for job related stuff. Here is my post about OKC from the "most underrated cities" thread:

"Underrated" to me means places that get little press but actually have some really good things going for them. The places that people say "No WAY would I live THERE" - the irony being they're often missing out on a unique experience.

Take Okla City. 1970's - white flight to the suburbs. 1980's - oil bust and decline. In 1986 I said it was the armpit of America. Today, I'd say it's the #1 underrated city in the country. What an awesome mix of old and new architecture. It's got that vintage, down-and-out, up-and-coming feel to it. It's like a Rt.66 town that was frozen in time, revived, and put on steroids. You can find any "scene" you want, and, be a part of it. It's inclusive, and the people are truly welcoming. They want you to be a part of their city. Combine that with affordable real estate prices, an awesome small/mid-sized airport and manageable traffic. Add sunny skies, and two interstates that somehow have a wild-west, rodeo feel to them. Throw in the occasional tornado, a few shakes of Will Rogers humor, and some of the friendliest people you'll meet anywhere.

Okla City is my #1 underrated city, period.

Having said that, a lot of people really don't like the great plains. It's an acquired taste. I read a book about the plains, where someone compared the US to a giant guitar string, fastened at the coastlines. The end vibrated really fast, the center really slow. Regardless of whether that's a good analogy, there is something very nice about the slow vibration. But it's not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.