U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2013, 02:21 PM

7 posts, read 8,133 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I need a new city.

Currently living in Chicago, IL. I am 24 and work with Whole Foods Market so I have plenty of opportunities in major cities for transfer.

I don't and won't own a car, only bike. I spend practically no money on anything other than rent and food.

My biggest issues in order of importance:

1) Need to be within distance to work so I can bike/public transport properly.
2) Need to be able to find a studio apartment for $600-$800 dollars. Preferably as low as possible, but in good relative location.
3) Would really like to have mild/moderate weather. I don't mind rain, and actually, it's a plus. I look towards the Pacific Northwest's weather as perfect. Great summers, mild winters with little to no snow.
4) The apartment plays a large role too. I have a decent life right now and I don't want to end up living in a ****ty apartment. I am willing to live in a space of 200-400 sq ft. if it has good appliances/balcony etc. Micro apartments are made for people like me.

Well, really, that's it. The problems I have and the reason I am here is because the renting market seems to be extremely tough in most areas I'd like to be.

My ideal place: Portland. Renting here is insane tho. I really had a dream of living in the Pearl District in my micro studio apartment, working close by part time to pay the rent/food, and going to school to finish my associates degree. But man, the renting market there is getting insane. I've seen places shoot up $100 in a matter of a week.

I've been searching through places like Seattle, Hawaii :P, Denver, San Diego, and so forth, but it doesn't seem to get any easier.

I'm a bit stuck and depressed. What words of advice do you have my esteemed city-data forum users?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 05:03 PM

981 posts, read 2,352,397 times
Well since you firmly stated that you don't and won't own a car then that alone rules out most Western cities. You need a car in Denver and San Diego. Depending on your bike to get around town will get old fast in spread out western metros with mediocre public transportation. Then you want little to no snow.....ok well that also rules out a lot of cities. You're gonna have to give up something on your wish list....

Old 09-15-2013, 05:24 PM

I don't mind biking distances every day, so it shouldn't get 'old.' I can also use public transit if need be.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:20 PM

3,178 posts, read 3,846,097 times
Hmmm. Austin? I know you say you don't want cold weather but other Midwestern cities, such as Minneapolis, Cleveland, and Pittsburg offer some of the best value in cost of living in the country. Lots of amenities for your money.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:58 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,965,178 times
Some of the larger cities I thought of are the ones in Texas and Atlanta and Nashville. I can't say you'll definitely find a really desirable central location for your price range, but you might. The other issue would be weather perhaps getting a bit too hot in the summertime (especially Austin)

The college town that I went to (Gainesville, FL) seems to fit nicely except for the weather again. Perhaps you'd consider a large college town somewhere further north or out west that would suit your requirements including milder climate?

Old 09-15-2013, 08:34 PM

542 posts, read 1,405,834 times
Houston
Atlanta
Tampa

Old 09-15-2013, 08:42 PM

Everyone,

Thanks for the positive replies.

I've considered FL, especially since I've lived there in the past. However, I'd like to try something new.

The most interested suggestion was Minneapolis. The city seems beautiful, and if it has the correct price, I may jump on it. The cold snow scares the hell out of me tho...

State of Texas, I will have to do some research on. Atlanta as well. I will get back to this thread.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:53 PM

3,178 posts, read 3,846,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iWin4Ron View Post
Everyone,

Thanks for the positive replies.

I've considered FL, especially since I've lived there in the past. However, I'd like to try something new.

The most interested suggestion was Minneapolis. The city seems beautiful, and if it has the correct price, I may jump on it. The cold snow scares the hell out of me tho...

State of Texas, I will have to do some research on. Atlanta as well. I will get back to this thread.
I will tell you with regard to Minneapolis, yes the winters are extremely cold, but they are not very snowy or cloudy, which actually makes them really tolerable. People get out and enjoy the winters in Minnesota, unlike a lot of other cold places. Summers on the other hand, with the intense heat, humidity and voracious mosquitoes, are another story.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:57 AM

390 posts, read 784,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I will tell you with regard to Minneapolis, yes the winters are extremely cold, but they are not very snowy or cloudy, which actually makes them really tolerable. People get out and enjoy the winters in Minnesota, unlike a lot of other cold places. Summers on the other hand, with the intense heat, humidity and voracious mosquitoes, are another story.
I've heard good things about Minneapolis, but as you describe, it's extremely cold in the winter and very hot and humid in the summer (two extremes). It seems there are only a few months out of the year when you can really spend time outdoors and be truly comfortable.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:22 PM

18,083 posts, read 22,934,448 times
If you need your own space and don't want to rent a room, I can't think of any large cities you'd be able to afford for your budget on the west coast (at least including Portland and Seattle, and cities in CA that I know).

I do know that there are apartments in your price range in smaller and/or inland cities in CA. For instance Redding, Fresno, Stockton. I know, because I've been looking myself for affordable housing in CA. Right now I get a free apt for managing my building in Santa Clara, but the owner is thinking about selling it, so I'm shopping for cheap housing in CA, somewhere with no snow.

You can always get an apt close to where you work, so the mention of needing a car in the west isn't true, in my experience. My neighborhood is extremely walkable. I do have a car, but if it died, I would do fine without it here in Santa Clara. Everything I need is within a few blocks. And there is a bus to get me to the doctor, if needed. And the worst the weather can do to me here is rain - which lasts only a couple of months on average.

At any rate, I searched for Whole Foods Stores in the above towns/cities, and only found one in Fresno. Fresno isn't a bad city and it's cheap. There's also a university there. It's hot in the summer, and mild in the winter. It's a good central location if you wanted to travel to SF, LA or even Las Vegas by bus or plane. Fresno has an airport.

The Whole Foods is actually in Clovis, which is just north of Fresno, and considered the nicest area. You can afford a 1 bedroom apt there, too.

Fresno | Whole Foods Market

I love the SF Bay Area, but I could easily see myself living in Fresno. It's big enough for me with lots of shopping and events, and I like university towns. I also like how close it is to go to SF, etc.

I did a search for you on the Fresno Craigslist for 1 bdrm apts in Clovis for max $600 and got these:

fresno apts/housing for rent classifieds "clovis" - craigslist

Looks like you could find a decent apartment for the low end of your budget.

Good luck in your search and keep us informed on your decision.

EDIT: Also, I've found that the Fresno area is pet friendly, which is not the case for most affordable apts in SF Bay Area. I'm looking forward to getting a dog, myself :-)

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 09-18-2013 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: Added pet friendly info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.