U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 11:07 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,732,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Is this common across America? Or is this way of life mostly gone? I suspect that now:

- no need for drive-ins, as people have entertainment at home
there is a drive in about 5 minutes from my house.

Quote:
- no need for bowling alleys, as people have Wii bowling and mini-golf
So why are the bowling alleys around my area pretty packed?

Quote:
- most people now just go to the supermarket and buy Ben and Jerrys to eat at home
What is wrong with eating ice cream at home?

Quote:
- flea markets take up too much space with not enough profit
Not really, there is no shortage of "space" in america.

Quote:
- kids are homebodies and parents are too afraid to let kids play
So why are their city parks everywhere full of kids playing?

Quote:
- swimming in lakes for free are a hazard and do not generate any money
Swam at a lake alot over the summer, were no hazards at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 11:08 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,732,030 times
Quote:
I think that people are less happy today and many studies show that many Americans see the future as being worse than the past, because we've all ensured our safety and buried ourselves in little safe cocoons. I think part of our unhappiness is due to our disconnect from the loss of these pastimes.
And a big No to this.. we are happy. its obviously we that is not happy and we don't have such a negative outlook on things as you.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:29 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,684,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
there is a drive in about 5 minutes from my house.

So why are the bowling alleys around my area pretty packed?

What is wrong with eating ice cream at home?

Not really, there is no shortage of "space" in america.

So why are their city parks everywhere full of kids playing?

Swam at a lake alot over the summer, were no hazards at all.
Every place is different, I guess. I was describing the area I grew up in and still live near. I'm glad to hear that there are still places like this in Minnesota.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:33 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,684,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
And a big No to this.. we are happy. its obviously we that is not happy and we don't have such a negative outlook on things as you.
Just speaking in generalities. Seems there have been some authors that have also recognized what I've been observing. So, it could also be a regional thing.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:12 AM

816 posts, read 1,557,673 times
Everything you mentioned except the drive-in theater are still around in my area.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:28 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,230,341 times
Quote:
In the town that I grew up in, I remember a time when my town had a bowling alley, a drive-in theatre, a couple of small ice cream shops, a mini-golf course, a flea market, little league games, roadside fruit stands, and even a lake that people swam in for free, with a rope swing. I used to see people walking down the road with fishing poles in hand, and kids in pickup trucks wearing wet swim trunks after a dip in the lake. Now many lakes have chain link fences around them! All of these pastimes seem to now be gone.

Is this common across America? Or is this way of life mostly gone? I suspect that now:

- no need for drive-ins, as people have entertainment at home
- no need for bowling alleys, as people have Wii bowling and mini-golf
- most people now just go to the supermarket and buy Ben and Jerrys to eat at home
- flea markets take up too much space with not enough profit
- kids are homebodies and parents are too afraid to let kids play
- swimming in lakes for free are a hazard and do not generate any money

I think that people are less happy today and many studies show that many Americans see the future as being worse than the past, because we've all ensured our safety and buried ourselves in little safe cocoons. I think part of our unhappiness is due to our disconnect from the loss of these pastimes.

What are people doing nowadays for fun? Just shopping? Drinking at TGIF? I hope to find a place to live that still has some of these old time pastimes.

It seems like the new most important things are how much data your phone gets, who said what on Facebook and Twitter, cool apps, and finding new ways to get free TV or cable. But no one bats an eye when a chain link fence blocks off a lake or the local bowling alley shuts down. My search continues to find that elusive old fashioned place.
I grew up in an Illinois suburb of St. Louis, and we had all of those things. I'm 22 by the way.

The lake thing becomes a bit more complicated, but a favorite weekend getaway of St. Louisans is driving out to the Lake of the Ozarks. It's always full of people. People from St. Louis also love to go on float trips on all the little rivers in the area.

There are also flea markets, although I never went to one, or a garage sale even, while growing up. My mom has a thing about second-hand items.

Also, substitute fruit stand for vegetable stand, on average, with fresh corn being the most popular item. It's Illinois, after all.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:58 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,398,612 times
We've got all those things in Portland ... except the drive-ins. And people do all those kinds of things all the time. Swimming in lakes probably isn't that common, the water's pretty cold, and there aren't many lakes. But it is done, and playing in the city fountains is encouraged. People boat, swim, raft, jet ski on the rivers a lot.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:07 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,325,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Technology has turned most of us into anti-social misfits. Cell phones, computers and electronic gaming are pretty much all many have or want any time for....it's very sad.
That's not the real reason. The real reason is FEAR. Parents are afraid to let their kids do anything unless it falls into one of two categories: 1. Can be done sitting in a chair on a digital device full of nanny filters, or 2. Can be driven to in mommy's minivan, and done while mommy watches, if mommy has time on her day off from the fulltime job that pays for the health insurance..

By the time the kids grow up, it would never occur to them in a million years to engage in a pastime that requires leaving the yard.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:05 AM

87,016 posts, read 102,674,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
You should read the book "Bowling Alone" by Robert Putnam. It offers some theories for why this happened. There's a summary on Wikipedia.

Bowling Alone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This book was based on a 1995 essay by the same author. This is simply nostalgia.

Look at how Amazon hypes it:
**Drawing on vast new data that reveal Americans’ changing behavior, Putnam shows how we have become increasingly disconnected from one another and how social structures—whether they be PTA, church, or political parties—have disintegrated. Until the publication of this groundbreaking work, no one had so deftly diagnosed the harm that these broken bonds have wreaked on our physical and civic health, nor had anyone exalted their fundamental power in creating a society that is happy, healthy, and safe.

Like defining works from the past, such as The Lonely Crowd and The Affluent Society, and like the works of C. Wright Mills and Betty Friedan, Putnam’s Bowling Alone has identified a central crisis at the heart of our society and suggests what we can do.

Barf!

Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community: Robert D. Putnam: 9780743203043: Amazon.com: Books

What is so "communal" about a drive-in movie? You go in your private auto, stick a speaker in the window, watch the movie and drive home. Not much different than watching a movie in your living room.

I never was much of a bowler, but when we drove by the local bowling alley last night, it seemed plenty crowded.

Why should we always go to the ice cream shop for an ice cream? Ever since people have had freezers, they've had ice cream in them. Don't get it!

We have several popular flea markets here in the Denver area. Another "don't get it".

The kids in my neighborhood play outside. I don't know about the OP's.

We don't have a lot of lakes around here, and they're very cold.

Agree with the poster who talked about vegetable stands. There are a number of them here in Boulder County, CO. Also, every little town and big city has a farmer's market these days, so it seems.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:31 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That's not the real reason. The real reason is FEAR. Parents are afraid to let their kids do anything unless it falls into one of two categories: 1. Can be done sitting in a chair on a digital device full of nanny filters, or 2. Can be driven to in mommy's minivan, and done while mommy watches, if mommy has time on her day off from the fulltime job that pays for the health insurance..

By the time the kids grow up, it would never occur to them in a million years to engage in a pastime that requires leaving the yard.
I think you're giving Mommy (and Daddy) too much credit. They're too locked into their tech gadgetry to notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or