U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:16 AM

2,573 posts, read 2,700,840 times

Advertisements

In the town that I grew up in, I remember a time when my town had a bowling alley, a drive-in theatre, a couple of small ice cream shops, a mini-golf course, a flea market, little league games, roadside fruit stands, and even a lake that people swam in for free, with a rope swing. I used to see people walking down the road with fishing poles in hand, and kids in pickup trucks wearing wet swim trunks after a dip in the lake. Now many lakes have chain link fences around them! All of these pastimes seem to now be gone.

Is this common across America? Or is this way of life mostly gone? I suspect that now:

- no need for drive-ins, as people have entertainment at home
- no need for bowling alleys, as people have Wii bowling and mini-golf
- most people now just go to the supermarket and buy Ben and Jerrys to eat at home
- flea markets take up too much space with not enough profit
- kids are homebodies and parents are too afraid to let kids play
- swimming in lakes for free are a hazard and do not generate any money

I think that people are less happy today and many studies show that many Americans see the future as being worse than the past, because we've all ensured our safety and buried ourselves in little safe cocoons. I think part of our unhappiness is due to our disconnect from the loss of these pastimes.

What are people doing nowadays for fun? Just shopping? Drinking at TGIF? I hope to find a place to live that still has some of these old time pastimes.

It seems like the new most important things are how much data your phone gets, who said what on Facebook and Twitter, cool apps, and finding new ways to get free TV or cable. But no one bats an eye when a chain link fence blocks off a lake or the local bowling alley shuts down. My search continues to find that elusive old fashioned place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 09:26 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,844 posts, read 33,318,488 times
You should read the book "Bowling Alone" by Robert Putnam. It offers some theories for why this happened. There's a summary on Wikipedia.

Bowling Alone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-20-2013, 09:40 AM

8,854 posts, read 10,923,465 times
I don't get too nostalgic, but as teenagers, we did have fun doing basic stuff--walked everywhere--down street, to the local strip mall, to Dunkin Donuts, cemetery. Everything was kind of an adventure. We had a blast everywhere we went. I remember we walked across the bridge to another city to have lunch--just for the fun of it. I do remember walking a lot. Our local drive-in had the worst tasting hot dogs, were steamed or something, lousy pizza, too, like cardboard, but we had fun every time we went there. Funny thing looking back is we were pretty active and not too bored even though technology was not much in the 70's. We were creative I guess.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:48 AM

21,285 posts, read 30,588,994 times
Technology has turned most of us into anti-social misfits. Cell phones, computers and electronic gaming are pretty much all many have or want any time for....it's very sad.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
You should read the book "Bowling Alone" by Robert Putnam. It offers some theories for why this happened. There's a summary on Wikipedia.

Bowling Alone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This book sounds interesting- I'll have to check it out.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:27 AM

17,410 posts, read 19,690,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
In the town that I grew up in, I remember a time when my town had a bowling alley, a drive-in theatre, a couple of small ice cream shops, a mini-golf course, a flea market, little league games, roadside fruit stands, and even a lake that people swam in for free, with a rope swing. I used to see people walking down the road with fishing poles in hand, and kids in pickup trucks wearing wet swim trunks after a dip in the lake. Now many lakes have chain link fences around them! All of these pastimes seem to now be gone.
I often take my kids to swimming pools, parks, libraries, shopping malls and fairs.

Do these count as community activities?

Old 09-20-2013, 11:44 AM

57,081 posts, read 81,489,054 times
Luckily, you can still find communities up here where you can do many, if not all, of these things.

Actually, a place that comes to mind with many of those things is an area where your relatives lived.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Luckily, you can still find communities up here where you can do many, if not all, of these things.

Actually, a place that comes to mind with many of those things is an area where your relatives lived.
I hear ya. And its been frustrating to not be able to find the right financial opportunity to make it up that way. Upstate has been on my radar for a long time for what I perceived to be the quality of life I want.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:42 PM

10,646 posts, read 14,440,329 times
Quote:

Is this common across America? Or is this way of life mostly gone?
It's still around if you know where to look. We have all that here except the rope swing and the fishing poles, although I suspect I wouldn't have to look too far to find either one.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:14 PM

11,926 posts, read 33,036,935 times
Quote:

Is this common across America? Or is this way of life mostly gone? I suspect that now:

- no need for drive-ins, as people have entertainment at home
- no need for bowling alleys, as people have Wii bowling and mini-golf
- most people now just go to the supermarket and buy Ben and Jerrys to eat at home
- flea markets take up too much space with not enough profit
- kids are homebodies and parents are too afraid to let kids play
- swimming in lakes for free are a hazard and do not generate any money
You can find all of that in Cookeville, Tennessee.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or