U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 06:09 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,121,705 times

Advertisements

Obviously Detroit. Buffalo seems pretty miserable too. So does Rochester, to a lesser extent. Baltimore and Philadelphia as well.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:24 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,148,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
How? Those cities have the highest crime in the US. Gang violence, drug lords, thuggery, debauchery, hedonism, general malaise and pestilence.
You mean crime rates. But it doesn't translate into being miserable cities. There's a lot of demand to live in "miserable" Oakland, enough for it to have the hottest housing market in the nation. Your laundry list can be found in every big city. And with every big city, violent crime is localized to certain neighborhoods rather than be dispersed throughout the city.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:08 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,676,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Los Angeles has got to be one: urban sprawl, road rage, horrendous traffic congestion, 40% of the population cannot properly speak/write in English, high unemployment rates, lots of gangs...
Even if this were true (it obviously isn't), the fact that you felt the need to point it out says more about how miserable YOU are, not the city.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:55 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,802,129 times
Unless there's a universally accepted "misery index" methodology which can objectively measure each city, you'll never have an answer to the question. You'll only get a bunch of individual opinions. In that case, you'd then have to subscribe to the idea of the wisdoms of crowds and get enough people to weigh-in on the topic. Then you'd have to justify a number that makes up a "crowd" in the first place. Oh...it's giving me a headache!

Old 09-20-2013, 10:56 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,713,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
I am aware of the subjective nature of this question, but I'm curious to see what some opinions are. I've seen lists generated online but I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on this.
How can a city feel miserable?

Do cities even have feelings?

Old 09-20-2013, 11:40 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,679,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
How can a city feel miserable?

Do cities even have feelings?
Interesting point. Though I wonder if there could be a difference in the demeanor of people overall in a city like Detroit, in comparison to a city like Honolulu, for example.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:47 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,679,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Obviously Detroit. Buffalo seems pretty miserable too. So does Rochester, to a lesser extent. Baltimore and Philadelphia as well.
Hmm, I don't really find Philadelphia to be a particularly miserable city. There does seem to be disadvantaged pockets with unfriendly people, but overall I think Philadelphians are overly prideful in their city, if anything. I think Philly is transitioning quite a bit too, into a more white collar, dare I say, even hipster city. Its like a cheaper Brooklyn in many areas now. So, it'll be interesting to see how that changes the city.

Buffalo / Rochester probably seem more miserable in the winter, when its brown, grey, and cloudy. Its got a really great summer and fall climate though, and probably happier citizens during that time.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:54 AM

12,584 posts, read 15,054,657 times
Read:

Study Finds Rampant Illiteracy in L.A. County - Los Angeles Times

More Than a Third of Adults Are Illiterate in Many Cities. What Do We Do? - COLORLINES

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Even if this were true (it obviously isn't), the fact that you felt the need to point it out says more about how miserable YOU are, not the city.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:16 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
St. Louis? St. Louis is a wonderful city, the people there are very proud of their city, and are not at all miserable. It gets a bad rap from people who have never been there, because of a quirk of geography: The highly publicized crime rate is very high in the city proper, because the confined space of the city proper encompasses only the inner city, but Metro St. Louis has no worse crime rate than any other metro of comparable size.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:26 AM

11,879 posts, read 32,912,793 times
Per the rules of the Geneal U.S. forum, negative threads are not allowed. This one is now closed.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.