U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 01:46 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,391,219 times

Advertisements

America is actually a huge mix of ethnic groups. We don't really have an American "race " per se, and you will see different racesbeing more dominant in some parts of the country than others.

We are the most mixed race country on the planet. And that is what makes us great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 02:13 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,054,646 times
I think it depends on class. College educated whites in the US tend to be very mobile and homogenized. Blue collar whites are more likely to remain closer to where they have roots, and as a result the working class white populations tends to have a regional feel based on the immigrant mix that came to specific areas.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:59 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,143,570 times
There are quite a lot of journal articles written on White identity. Class plays a major factor in how White identity is perceived.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:04 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,802,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
America is actually a huge mix of ethnic groups. We don't really have an American "race " per se, and you will see different racesbeing more dominant in some parts of the country than others.

We are the most mixed race country on the planet. And that is what makes us great.
Again, race and ethnicity are not the same thing. It's possible to have an ever evolving American culture and possibly, ethnicity, without regard to one specific race.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:22 PM

18,094 posts, read 22,952,534 times
I hate having to choose "white" on a form. I guess, as far as a forensic anthropologist is concerned, I'm "white." From where I sit, I'm Irish and French. And even they had a hard time accepting the different cultures, except that they were both Catholic. But if you think French people and Irish people are the same....well, come to one of my family functions and see who ends up bleeding lol!

Old 11-11-2016, 11:31 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,384,906 times
No. White Americans are a diverse mix of European (and also North African/Middle Eastern) backgrounds. Just like "Hispanic" isn't an ethnicity (and most Hispanics, like most Americans, are multi-ethnic) "American" isn't.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:37 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,252,205 times
I would say "White American" is an ethnic group (but, despite the name, you are not a part of it just because you are White and live in the US). Ethnicities evolve over time, they aren't concrete identities established x number of years ago from which we cannot deviate.

Most White Americans now speak English and share a similar culture, even if they have different ancestors. Yes, there are regional differences, but that is no different from the regional differences of the Han Chinese, or the very strong regional pride held by the Koreans from different part of the peninsula.

Would I say maybe the same applies to other American groups? Maybe, it depends. Most my interaction is with Asian Americans, which I don't consider one ethnic group yet because of the shorter period they have been in the nation for (as a large group) and because most I meet identify with their ancestral country than some Asian identity.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:12 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,306,890 times
I don't think too much about labeling myself like this. I am white, and that's what I fill out in forms that ask my ethnicity/race. I don't like being associated with typical White America though.

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 11-12-2016 at 02:40 PM..

Old 11-13-2016, 12:52 AM

3,150 posts, read 1,292,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Definition of ethnic group.

People of the same race or nationality who share a distinctive culture

But White Americans of largely British Isles descent from the South are quite culturally different from a mixed Italian-Irish descended American from the Northeast, who is also different from a German/Scandanavian descended American from the Midwest. Various parts of the US have different immigrant sources and histories which contribute to the different culture.

So are White Americans a real ethnic group.
Italy and Ireland are two distinct countries. Don't mix the two ethnic groups.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:45 AM

721 posts, read 299,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Of course. If a group of white americans lived close to eachother in another country, it would likely be considered a white american enclave.
No, it wouldn't. It would be considered an American enclave. White wouldn't enter into the equation unless the enclave was full of dummies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or