U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 06:55 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,695,082 times

Advertisements

Go west, northwest to be exact, seattle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 07:10 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,565,147 times
If that's the case? hmm.. I guess... Austin?

Old 09-21-2013, 07:17 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,357,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
If you had 20k in the bank, basically no debt, a beat up car but will do the job, where would you go off to?

There's lots of threads about high rolling jobs or if you could live anywhere but for most of us that probably isnt reality. So where would you go if you had 20k in your bank and no reason left to stick around where you're at?

For criteria:
- Job market
- Cost of living
- Weather
- Outdoor Activities
- Quality of Life
- Air quality
- Access to other areas
- Great food
- Good music
- Demographics / Religion / Politics

I really dont care much about the criteria, only put it there as a starting point so the thread doesnt get closed, y'all can make up more topics, less topics, or anything else.
I am perfectly happy living where I live and doing what I do. But I would certainly take a nice vacation to coastal S. Texas and hang out for a couple of weeks at Charlie's Bait Stand, fishing on a daily basis and drinking lots of beer and eating Tex-Mex in Victoria. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-21-2013, 09:02 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,186,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
If that's the case? hmm.. I guess... Austin?
Ive thought about Austin or Houston. Austin seems like it would be more enjoyable but I dont know much about the cost of living and job market there. I would imagine UT would be offering a steady stream of recent grads willing to work for less, no?

Old 09-21-2013, 09:55 PM

272 posts, read 371,054 times
Nashville, it fits the criteria well even though you don't care about it.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:22 AM

6,519 posts, read 7,461,791 times
Cost of living is going to be a huge factor here. The cheapest housing is in parts of the Midwest. Indiana, Michigan and Ohio to be exact but the job market there is terrible. Taxes can be bad there too, not New England bad but bad enough. Your other choice is some of the southern states. Relatively cheap housing and low taxes make living here pretty easy. Jobs are also easier to come by here than in your Midwestern choices. Picking a location on either coast would eat up that 20k pretty quick, so the only way that would make sense is if you moved there with a job lined up earning a high wage. If it were me I would look mostly at the factors of low cost of living and a job market that is at least average. YOu would be surprised how fast 20k can disappear.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:28 AM

4,628 posts, read 3,971,541 times
I would either...

A) Relocate out West...Denver or Salt Lake City...originally Seattle was an option, but it isn't sunny enough;

or

B) Get a new place in the Chicago area (either central Dupage CO. like Elmhurst or Wheaton, or some place in southern Lake CO.) and take an exotic vacation (New Zealand, Morocco, or Argentina/Chile) or a few trips in North America (Alaska or Newfoundland, CA or CO, and a few long weekend trips in the Midwest)...

The reason I would travel in option B and not option A is because I already live in the area and have an income source (knock on wood)...in option A my first priority is to get a job and save money until I have a job. Plus I'd want to explore my new area.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:33 AM

9,745 posts, read 14,183,733 times
That's exactly what I did two years ago, and I'm still loving my new town.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:44 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,183,204 times
I've been thinking about this. I'm assuming that you're young or at least youngish. So:

You should go to a place that is diametrically opposite to the place in which you are living now.

If you live in Toledo, for example, moving to Austin is just exchanging one city for another. How boring is that?

If you live in a city in the northeast, move to a small town in the southwest. Silver City, NM.

If you live in a small town in the Northwest, move to Miami.

If you live in a city in the Midwest, move to rural coastal Maine.

If you live in Los Angeles, move to North Dakota and work in the Natural Gas fields.

Don't be boring and just exchange what you already know for something similar to what you already know.

In general, choose not to be boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or