U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is OH more like the Dakotas than like the Northeast?
Yes, because it's Midwestern 7 8.75%
No, despite being Midwestern I still think it's more like the Northeast 73 91.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-26-2013, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,100 posts, read 4,734,481 times
Reputation: 5374

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrannosaurusZack View Post
The Census didn't invent the term Midwest, and your condescending smiley faces don't add to your argument. The top question says "Is OH more like the Dakotas than like the Northeast?" sort of insinuating that Ohio is a Northeastern state, then the poll question says "No, despite being Midwestern I still think it's more like the Northeast" again insinuating that there is some "real" Midwest, and then there's Ohio. Well historic fact goes against both insinuations, Ohio is the original Midwestern state, people getting butthurt in the plains or Illinois about being more Midwestern than the Buckeye state need to grab a history book.

Now, here's the coining a new term part I was talking about, if you think as an Illini, a Nebraskan, a Dakotan, or whatever you may be, that you are more Midwestern than an Ohioan, you need to come up with a new term because Midwest already has a longstanding definition. Now it's really not that hard to understand at all, I'd think.
Uh-oh, I think wittle Zackey-poo is upset.

It's pretty obvious that Ohio has a lot of similarities to the western Northeast. We're not saying it isn't Midwestern, we're answering a simple question with factual evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2013, 08:26 AM
 
6,127 posts, read 6,446,012 times
Reputation: 6543
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrannosaurusZack View Post
The Census didn't invent the term Midwest, and your condescending smiley faces don't add to your argument. The top question says "Is OH more like the Dakotas than like the Northeast?" sort of insinuating that Ohio is a Northeastern state, then the poll question says "No, despite being Midwestern I still think it's more like the Northeast" again insinuating that there is some "real" Midwest, and then there's Ohio. Well historic fact goes against both insinuations, Ohio is the original Midwestern state, people getting butthurt in the plains or Illinois about being more Midwestern than the Buckeye state need to grab a history book.

Now, here's the coining a new term part I was talking about, if you think as an Illini, a Nebraskan, a Dakotan, or whatever you may be, that you are more Midwestern than an Ohioan, you need to come up with a new term because Midwest already has a longstanding definition. Now it's really not that hard to understand at all, I'd think.
It seems to me that the Nebraskans and Dakotans are not the ones getting butthurt.

Who cares what people think of Ohio or any other state? I live in western South Dakota, and it certainly isn't Midwestern here. Yet, the whole state gets grouped into the "Midwest." Again, who cares? I used to live in eastern Nebraska and I considered it Midwest. Never once did I give it any thought how it compared to Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,319 posts, read 21,886,413 times
Reputation: 33486
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrannosaurusZack View Post
The Census didn't invent the term Midwest, and your condescending smiley faces don't add to your argument. The top question says "Is OH more like the Dakotas than like the Northeast?" sort of insinuating that Ohio is a Northeastern state, then the poll question says "No, despite being Midwestern I still think it's more like the Northeast" again insinuating that there is some "real" Midwest, and then there's Ohio. Well historic fact goes against both insinuations, Ohio is the original Midwestern state, people getting butthurt in the plains or Illinois about being more Midwestern than the Buckeye state need to grab a history book.

Now, here's the coining a new term part I was talking about, if you think as an Illini, a Nebraskan, a Dakotan, or whatever you may be, that you are more Midwestern than an Ohioan, you need to come up with a new term because Midwest already has a longstanding definition. Now it's really not that hard to understand at all, I'd think.
no, you're wrong

the term mid-west in of itself leaves little to no room for a state as far east as Ohio finds itself on a map

maybe Ohio could be called mideast if that would make you feel better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,315,951 times
Reputation: 4270
The Dakotas are strictly Plains states, while Ohio is Midwestern, and almost Northeastern (but not NE'ern).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,719 posts, read 6,094,812 times
Reputation: 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
Ohio's cities are nothing like that of the Dakotas. With the exception of Columbus, most Ohio cities have high unemployment.
LOL Cincinnati, Toledo and Columbus have low unemployment rates compared to the rest of the cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 05:13 PM
 
5,552 posts, read 6,980,516 times
Reputation: 2801
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Ohio is a pretty urban state with three large cities (The three C's), 3 midsized cities (Dayton, Toledo, and Akron), a lot of smaller cities (Sandusky, Youngstown, Athens, Zanesville), and a lot of towns. It is the 7th most populous state with 11.5 million people and it is nothing at all like the Dakotas.

Where does Canton fit in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 08:37 PM
 
363 posts, read 617,601 times
Reputation: 281
As a nebraskan, Ohio and the Dakotas don't really have anything in common. Sure there are rural parts of Ohio that are flat and have lots of farms, but the two areas have a whole different history. Ohio was settled in the early 1800's and has more appalachian and new england influences in its history because it was one of the first states settled after the revolution.

The Dakotas weren't really settled until the 1880's and have more of a German and Scandinavian influence (not that Ohio doesn't have German influence, but i've always felt its stronger in the farming states like the Dakotas, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska). Also its drier in the Dakotas, and Sioux Falls (though it is hardly based just on Ag anymore, lots of banks have their credit card operations in SD due to no interest laws) seems more related to cities like Omaha, Des Moines, Minneapolis-SP, than it does to any Ohio city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2013, 07:08 AM
 
7,598 posts, read 9,450,003 times
Reputation: 8960
I don't think that there's any attempt being made here to "disparage" Ohio here, although I believe that it's more like NY and PA, as well. If I had to pick one quintessential Midwestern state, I'd be more apt to pick Illinois than Ohio, though, as Ohio is actually still in the Eastern Time Zone, and Illinois is more centrallt located, and has a historical blend of both agriculture and industry, esp around Chicago...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2013, 10:41 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,988 posts, read 41,959,650 times
Reputation: 14805
I'd think of Ohio as quintessentially Midwestern, though Illinois is probably a better choice. Dakotas: no. They seem more western to me: historically almost all ag and little industry, extremely low population density, tending towards arid in most of the states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2013, 06:06 PM
 
Location: USA
2,779 posts, read 6,686,367 times
Reputation: 1869
I see Ohio as Midwestern in earnest from Columbus west and NE (?) east of there. Some people may not like this answer but I think the eastern area seems more like Pa and SE Ohio like Pa and WV and maybe KY a little bit. It doesn't seem Midwestern in those areas. I have family up there and have visited enough to make an opinion. Just mine, but no state reflects everything that comprises the region the census/geographer/marketing groups selected it to be in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top