U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is OH more like the Dakotas than like the Northeast?
Yes, because it's Midwestern 7 8.75%
No, despite being Midwestern I still think it's more like the Northeast 73 91.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 02:21 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,853,170 times

Advertisements

Since Ohio like the Dakotas is Midwestern, flat, agricultural and lacks a colonial history, would you say that a city like Toledo has more in common with somewhere like Fargo or Pierre than it does with say Lancaster, PA or Albany, NY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 03:10 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
No, Toledo is more "rust-belt" than farm belt.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:12 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,188,707 times
I'd say there's no doubt about the fact that Ohio is much more like the mid-Atlantic states than the rural Dakotas, both physically and culturally.

And Ohio has a very important and interesting pre revolutionary war history, if that's what you mean by "colonial history". You can read about it on these sites, if you're interested:

Exploring History in Northeast Ohio: Western Reserve Historical Society

George Washington: Mission To Ohio | George Washington's Mount Vernon

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/lhbtn:@field(DOCID+@lit(lhbtn30436)):

Diary of David Zeisberger : a Moravian missionary among the Indians of Ohio : Zeisberger, David, 1721-1808 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Fort Laurens | ohiohistory.org

And etc.

Also, the Native Americans of Ohio were more closely related to those of the Eastern seaboard than those in the area now known as the Dakotas.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:26 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,764,942 times
???????
Toledo is like 3 times bigger than Fargo and Pierre has 20k people total so ??? I have no idea what you're looking for there.

Your poll question is not the same as the thread title. Ohio has more in common with Pennsylvania than with the states at the extreme opposite end of the Midwest, but that doesn't mean it's not Midwestern...

Old 09-21-2013, 05:08 PM

37 posts, read 71,742 times
this sounds like a question from a 12 year old. Is rockford like minot or pittsburgh ?

Old 09-21-2013, 05:11 PM

485 posts, read 731,518 times
Ohio's cities are nothing like that of the Dakotas. With the exception of Columbus, most Ohio cities have high unemployment.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:38 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,603,642 times
This is like comparing California to Oregon, sure they're both on the West Coast and yeah...they're both on the West Coast. I've only been in Ohio for two months now, but I'm just not getting the comparison. The Midwest is a gigantic region by any definition.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:56 AM

15,529 posts, read 17,755,782 times
My experience in Ohio is in the southwestern part which despite being the least 'Northeast-like' part of the state, is still, in my opinion, far more like the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic than the Dakotas.

That said, I consider it primarily Midwestern but with solid connections to the Northeast, while I consider the Dakotas to be High Plains states with solid connections to the core-Midwest and Interior West. An ex of mine from Sioux Falls, despite her Minnesota-like accent, considered her experience growing up there to be more similar to Nebraska and eastern Colorado where she has a lot of family, granted. Sioux Falls is less than ten hours from Denver and fifteen hours to Columbus, Ohio, for what its worth.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:57 PM

21,201 posts, read 30,404,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
Ohio's cities are nothing like that of the Dakotas. With the exception of Columbus, most Ohio cities have high unemployment.
Not exactly. The other two major cities (Cincinnati and Cleveland) have unemployment rates slightly higher than Columbus (7.1 and 7.3 respectively versus 6.3%), but are below the national average of 7.7% which would seemingly disqualify the term "high unemployment" if referring to the current standard.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:06 PM

70 posts, read 135,697 times
No. A large portion of Ohio, Cleveland, Youngstown, Akron, Toledo are rust belt type cities. A lot of Eastern Ohio is very similar to Western PA, and extremely different from the Dakotas.

Even aspects like the Polish, Slovak, Italian etc. populations are very, very Northeastern, Mid-Atlantic. The "Midwestern" and "Northeastern" blanket statements are far too broad. Places like Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Johnstown, Binghamton, Scranton, Youngstown, Cleveland all feel similar to me, despite stretching across different regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or