U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 04:52 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,705,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I absolutely hate this argument. We are a world full of different and cultured nations. Why would you want to forget that?
I love being black, love being creole. I would never denounce that because people think that will kill racism. Suppressing our differences will only add dynamite to the fire, we need to celebrate our differences and embrace them.
I'm talking about within the United States not the whole World.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Let's be real: you do unless you're blind. The only people who tend to say "they don't see race" are people who aren't minorities and have no idea what the lived experience of one is like who have to deal with subtle forms of prejudice. It's sometimes well intentioned, but regardless, it closes the door for any meaningful discussion about race and opens another where any sort of inequality is the result of divorced from institutional forces.
I never said "i don't see race" i see and notice people who are Asian, Black etc... but i don't make a big deal about it. They're most likely pretty similar to myself considering they're human and we live in the same country, speak the same language, watch the same sports, celebrate the same holidays, etc..

Old 09-22-2013, 05:00 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'm talking about within the United States not the whole World.
We are a nation of immigrants. We are the world.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:05 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,607,998 times
The problem with discussions about "diversity" on here is that there's a lot of posters who have this sort of juvenile way of looking at it only in terms of statistics and as some sort of contest to rank cities.

Anyone who thinks that "diversity" can only be defined by census racial statistics needs to get out more.

I had a ethnically diverse group of friends at various times growing up--at the same time most of the time culturally they weren't much different than me. Sure their grandparents(or sometimes parents) might have been from China or Korea or Lebanon or Mexico or Pakistan or Ukraine--but by the second or third generation in the states, they were about as close to the culture as I am to my Polish ancestors. On the other hand I remember meeting white people from the South, who were technically the same ethnicity as me, yet I feel I have little in common with in terms of cultural background.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
We are a nation of immigrants. We are the world.
We do have alot of immigrants (40 million) but we have a total of 300 million people.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:08 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times
Quote:
We do have alot of immigrants (40 million) but we have a total of 300 million people.
Is there more to this post?

Old 09-22-2013, 05:17 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,635,011 times
Quote:
I never said "i don't see race" i see and notice people who are Asian, Black etc... but i don't make a big deal about it. They're most likely pretty similar to myself considering they're human and we live in the same country, speak the same language, watch the same sports, celebrate the same holidays, etc..
We might live in the same country, but this country is also 3000 miles long and there are regional differences in culture that vary by group. Just think for instance the amount of prejudice latinos face in the west because people think they're "illegal" or blacks receive when they embrace vernacular dialect because some people think it's not "real english". I think you're well intentioned, but I think you should keep in mind that prejudice is alive,well, and hidden.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:20 PM

413 posts, read 652,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
The problem with discussions about "diversity" on here is that there's a lot of posters who have this sort of juvenile way of looking at only in terms of statistics and as some sort of contest to rank cities.
I don't know if it's actually an obsession with race or it's just the nature of the "My City Can Beat Up Your City" type threads where people are scrambling for any kind of quantifiable data showing that one city is better than another. I think that ethnic diversity is a good thing and other things being equal would prefer to live in a more diverse city. However, I think intellectual diversity is infinitely more meaningful, but not many people seem to value intellectual diversity.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
We might live in the same country, but this country is also 3000 miles long and there are regional differences in culture that vary by group. Just think for instance the amount of prejudice latinos face in the west because people think they're "illegal" or blacks receive when they embrace vernacular dialect because some people think it's not "real english". I think you're well intentioned, but I think you should keep in mind that prejudice is alive,well, and hidden.
Oh i know i know prejudice is alive and well, sometimes blown out of proportion by the media and sensitive people who scream "racist!" every time someone gives them the wrong look. but yea it still exist.

Especially with all the labeling, Americans are mostly very integrated and we are mostly a melting pot nation compared to most nations. just the labeling and the race obsession is a big problem.
We can't segregate ourselves by what country our great great great grandparents come from.
You see Swedish flags all over MN on cars and houses but most of the people can't name a city in Sweden other than Stockholm and they watch American football at home and eat Hamburgers

Old 09-22-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Exactly if we are going to identify with ourselves, do it by our state/region/country over our racial background. Saying i'm "African - American" is too broad because African - Americans have so many similarities to Asian - Americans, Hispanic - Americans, White - Americans, etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.