U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 11:04 AM

991 posts, read 922,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The more liberal you are the more you are going to talk about equality...the more you talk about equality the more you will talk about race...The more you talk about race the more you will look for fault in a race...the more faults mentioned creates a bias and suggests that all people belonging to ONE race are all the same....which is impossible...same as all people are NOT equal...all people are different.
Eventually we will all be mixed anyway so what's the difference in the end
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 01:45 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,635,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
It means a lot to me personally. I am white. I wouldn't live somewhere that didn't have a strong Southeast Asian population. My spouse is a native of Laos and she and I both love the fact that there is a strong Thai, Vietnamese, and Lao community in our city. We like the food and the culture. I also like a community with a strong Indian community because I love the food and culture.
Which is great, but at the same time is the overall diversity of the city or just the fact that there's a Southeast Asian community where you live that means the most to you personally? What if the city you lived in was very diverse in terms of Hispanic and Africans and Eastern European immigrants, but had very little in terms of Southeast Asians there?

My girlfriend's family are Syrian Arabs--many of them moved close to Montreal because of the sizable Lebanese and Syrian Arab population there. The fact that Montreal is diverse with Haitians and Chinese and Italians and Jews is interesting to them, but overall it was it's the Arab community there that they are most concerned about. They respect diversity, but if ask them straight out about what they like about Montreal, they're going to say--oh there's a great Syrian market there, we can order kafta nayeh and speak Arabic, it's great.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:59 PM

991 posts, read 922,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Which is great, but at the same time is the overall diversity of the city or just the fact that there's a Southeast Asian community where you live that means the most to you personally? What if the city you lived in was very diverse in terms of Hispanic and Africans and Eastern European immigrants, but had very little in terms of Southeast Asians there?

My girlfriend's family are Syrian Arabs--many of them moved close to Montreal because of the sizable Lebanese and Syrian Arab population there. The fact that Montreal is diverse with Haitians and Chinese and Italians and Jews is interesting to them, but overall it was it's the Arab community there that they are most concerned about. They respect diversity, but if ask them straight out about what they like about Montreal, they're going to say--oh there's a great Syrian market there, we can order kafta nayeh and speak Arabic, it's great.
I think I would still very much prefer the diversity. A big part of it is the foodie in me...I really like to try lots of ethnic foods. I also like being exposed to the other languages and customs.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:21 PM

219 posts, read 241,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What is the deal with this obsession everyone has over race? you can visit the Toronto vs Houston forum and pretty much 70 percent of the post are people repeating how diverse each city is.

Why does it matter how diverse a city is? and why do people care so much about what race their neighbors are?
It seems as though you are one of the few who do care.....

Old 09-23-2013, 11:42 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,738,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGuitarGuy View Post
It seems as though you are one of the few who do care.....
Guess so?

Old 09-24-2013, 06:40 AM

21,961 posts, read 27,397,138 times
Quote:
Eventually we will all be mixed anyway so what's the difference in the end
I'd say we are simply creating new races and ethnic groups like humans have always done. Most of today's races or ethnic groups are the fruit of mixing that happened hundreds or even thousands of years ago.

What is happening today is simply the continuation of the same trend.

"Heinz 57" white Americans did not exist a century or two ago, and today around the world people know who that group are and can pretty easily identify them and even be racist against them.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
What is the deal with this obsession everyone has over race? you can visit the Toronto vs Houston forum and pretty much 70 percent of the post are people repeating how diverse each city is.

Why does it matter how diverse a city is? and why do people care so much about what race their neighbors are?
I don't think anyone has mentioned it but for a lot of people the diversity of their cities is worn like a badge of moral virtue.

"Look at us! We've welcomed all of these people from all over the world to our city with open arms! Aren't we great!"

Old 09-24-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
It means a lot to me personally. I am white. I wouldn't live somewhere that didn't have a strong Southeast Asian population. My spouse is a native of Laos and she and I both love the fact that there is a strong Thai, Vietnamese, and Lao community in our city. We like the food and the culture. I also like a community with a strong Indian community because I love the food and culture.
I appreciate that but you don't need NYC-level or Toronto-level diversity in order to have access to stuff from around the world. Most of the citizenry of NYC or Toronto probably don't partake that much in the cultural smorgasborg that is available to them, other than to rub shoulders with it on the streets, buses and subways.

And many people in smaller cities than these (most larger cities in the US and Canada these days have a decent level of diversity) may in fact be more "in tune" with the wider world than New Yorkers and Torontonians - openness to other cultures is as much a question of attitude and personality as it is of zip or postal code.

Last edited by Acajack; 09-24-2013 at 07:46 AM..

Old 09-24-2013, 08:21 AM

413 posts, read 653,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
So-called "intellectual diversity" should be seen for what it is: A code word(s) from right-wingers who are angry that much of the media, academic, and entertainment worlds don't reflect their culturally and politically conservative views. There has always been intellecutal diversity in the U.S. and there always will be. But the right-wingers aren't demanding intellectual diversity in the boardrooms of banks and major corporations, in the increasingly crazy GOP Caucus of the House of Representatives, or in the pulpits of the big megachurches. Where they hold sway, they are content, and where they don't, they claim victimhood and a lack of "intellectual diversity."
Certainly that phenomenon exists. I think that intellectual diversity is important for totally different reasons. It's important to try to avoid the continued sorting of America into homogeneous enclaves as described in this excellent book which shows how living in homogeneous communities where everyone thinks alike has surprisingly significant consequences.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:29 PM

12,342 posts, read 10,332,895 times
Quote:
Good post.

We do have some differences but we also have alot of similarities and we bring all our cultures into one great culture (American culture).

When talking about food, Korean Tacos and Tex Mex foods are good examples
You really think we have one "American Culture"? I think I would have a much easier move and assimilate quicker into a place like the UK vs Texas or the South. I've had friends move to Europe and they told me they felt more at home there than they felt in far flung parts of the US. The US is a behemoth and way too big to survive much more population gain. Cultures are different all over the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.