U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 10:48 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,576,706 times

Advertisements

Charlotte, Raleigh, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Denver, Houston, Dallas, Columbus, Salt Lake City, Tampa, Orlando, Oklahoma City, Omaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 10:52 AM

44,909 posts, read 36,220,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Charlotte, Raleigh, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Denver, Houston, Dallas, Columbus, Salt Lake City, Tampa, Orlando, Oklahoma City, Omaha.

Yes, I forgot OKC - great place to raise a family.

Also, Springfield MO is another good one.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Status: "Summertime, and the living's easy" (set 27 days ago)

2,121 posts, read 591,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'd agree with Houston and Dallas, Chattanooga, Augusta, possibly Atlanta, Columbia, and the Fayetteville area of NW Arkansas.

Personally, I wouldn't dream of moving my family to the Memphis area, and I'd move my family to the Asheville area in a heartbeat -but hey, that's just me.
Memphis is not as bad as people make it out to be. It has extremely cheap living and my wife and I have never had a problem finding decent paying jobs. We do live in the suburbs due to school concerns, but traffic is not an issue for commuting. Don't knock it til you try it!

Full disclosure, we are looking at moving out of the area, but mainly due to the weather, and being closer to family. If you embrace the city you'll like it. If you come in closed minded, you won't.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:34 PM

44,909 posts, read 36,220,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Memphis is not as bad as people make it out to be. It has extremely cheap living and my wife and I have never had a problem finding decent paying jobs. We do live in the suburbs due to school concerns, but traffic is not an issue for commuting. Don't knock it til you try it!

Full disclosure, we are looking at moving out of the area, but mainly due to the weather, and being closer to family. If you embrace the city you'll like it. If you come in closed minded, you won't.
I've never lived there, so I'm sure I'm missing some of the charms, but I have visited there pretty often. Some nice areas but overall...I don't know, it doesn't appeal to me compared to other cities that are pretty close, like Nashville, Knoxville, and Little Rock.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Status: "Summertime, and the living's easy" (set 27 days ago)

2,121 posts, read 591,846 times
Quote:
I've never lived there, so I'm sure I'm missing some of the charms, but I have visited there pretty often. Some nice areas but overall...I don't know, it doesn't appeal to me compared to other cities that are pretty close, like Nashville, Knoxville, and Little Rock.
Memphis isn't for everyone, but it is an easy city to live a nice middle class lifestyle. There are obviously some rough areas, but common sense is all you need to be safe here. Beale street is great, as is the south main arts district, and the Cooper-Young area. Housing is cheap, even in really good areas, and gas is always close to being the cheapest in the country. Just my two cents. I also like Nashville, but not really Knoxville or Little Rock as much. I also think St Louis would be a good area as well. Not too expensive, lots of free things to do. Anyways, interesting thread.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:00 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,188,707 times
Can't believe no one has said Des Moines yet. Economically very healthy, low unemployment, lots of family things to do, strong infrastructure, no real urban blight areas, and purple politics.

(Not that I would choose to live there, but then I wouldn't live in any urban area anymore.)

Old 09-27-2013, 03:13 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,674,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Can't believe no one has said Des Moines yet. Economically very healthy, low unemployment, lots of family things to do, strong infrastructure, no real urban blight areas, and purple politics.

(Not that I would choose to live there, but then I wouldn't live in any urban area anymore.)
Yes, Des Moines deserves to be in the conversation and these third party sources rank Des Moines very high nationally in categories you could argue would apply to middle class:

Des Moines Tops List Of The Best Places For Business And Careers (August 7, Forbes)
Des Moines is the #1 Midwest City for Young Adults (March 26, The Business Journals)
Iowa is #5 on Best Run States List (November 27, Yahoo)
Iowa is the #3 best state to be young in America (August 28, Business Insider)
Des Moines #1 best city for families (July 25, Kiplinger)
Des Moines is #2 for strongest local economy (May 31, POLICOM)

Old 09-27-2013, 07:44 PM

29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
Quote:
I'd agree with Houston and Dallas, Chattanooga, Augusta, possibly Atlanta, Columbia, and the Fayetteville area of NW Arkansas.

Personally, I wouldn't dream of moving my family to the Memphis area, and I'd move my family to the Asheville area in a heartbeat -but hey, that's just me.
Metro Memphis has its fair share of family-friendly areas. Asheville is nice, but as I said, there's not much in the way of real industry there outside of hospitality/service jobs which tend to pay low. It would be the last sizable place in NC I'd recommend to someone trying to establish themselves or advance professionally--which is a large part of having a comfortable, middle-class life.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:13 PM

606 posts, read 953,374 times
Boston, on the south side. Roslindale, Moss Hill, West Roxbury, Hyde Park, Canton, Westwood.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:03 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,186,084 times
Honestly pretty much any city outside of the West Coast/Northeast could work in this case because of their lower costs of living.

For the Midwest I would suggest Minneapolis, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Kansas City, Cleveland, or Columbus. The suburbs of Detroit and Chicago are doable as well.

For the Southeast I would suggest Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, and Nashville. However I would avoid the coastal areas because of the lack of jobs outside of the tourism sector (this applies mostly to Florida).

For the Texas/Southwest I would recommend pretty much any major city in Texas and I would include Denver and Colorado Springs. I would avoid Phoenix and Las Vegas for the same reasons as Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or