U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 04:38 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,693,182 times

Advertisements

Bellingham, Washington, Olympia, Washington or the Kitsap Peninsula. Away from Seattle but still close enough to make a short trip there. All along the puget sound coastline, beautiful laid back areas. Easy to go to the mountains, do water activities. Fairly cheap places to live and reside!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 05:36 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
However I would avoid the coastal areas because of the lack of jobs outside of the tourism sector (this applies mostly to Florida).
As a Florida resident I can tell you it's kind of the opposite. Orlando which isn't on the coast (middle of the state) relies almost exclusively on tourism. South Florida (the largest metro area in the state) which consists of Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach has a very diverse economy as does Tampa Bay (the second largest metro area in the state) which consists of Tampa, St Petersburg and Clearwater, and is slightly less diverse yet by no means tourist oriented. Lastly the Jacksonville metro area (fourth largest) is probably the most diverse economically (and least tourist oriented) as evidenced by the lowest unemployment rate of the major metros in the state and was the first to lead the recovery here.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:08 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,407,950 times
IMO Denver is too expensive for this discussion. Look where its housing prices rank here.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:51 AM

17,219 posts, read 19,521,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen View Post
Let's be honest, in the US there are two types of cities: cities for people who dream big, want to be at the top, and love adventure (think New York, Los Angeles, even San Francisco!). Then there are more laid-back cities for people who are fine working for the man, an easier pace of life, and just want to make a decent living with family/friends. What are some of the best cities for that crowd?
The funny thing is that the real chance you'll actually make it to the "top" in any city in America is very slim. The overwhelming majority of Americans everywhere are thoroughly middle class, although that's a high standard of living compared to most of the world.

That shouldn't stop people from dreaming though. :-)

Old 10-03-2013, 06:42 AM

44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Metro Memphis has its fair share of family-friendly areas. Asheville is nice, but as I said, there's not much in the way of real industry there outside of hospitality/service jobs which tend to pay low. It would be the last sizable place in NC I'd recommend to someone trying to establish themselves or advance professionally--which is a large part of having a comfortable, middle-class life.
Well, I AM assuming that they wouldn't move somewhere without having a job lined out first. My take is "find a middle class job and then move," not, "move your entire family there and then hope and pray you find a job!"

My top pick for the OP is actually Tyler, Texas by the way. LOTS of good jobs there, beautiful small city, convenient to larger metros (DFW for starters), and so much to offer a family.

Anyway, good luck to the OP!

Old 10-03-2013, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Fort Worth, San Antonio, Austin, Tyler, Waco, Temple in Texas.

Nashville, Knoxville in Tennessee.

Charlotte, Raleigh, Asheville in North Carolina.

Savannah, Columbus in Georgia.

Charleston, Greenville in South Carolina.

Richmond, Lynchburg in Virginia.

Little Rock in Arkansas.

Birmingham, Huntsville in Alabama.

Jackson, Mississippi.

Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Bossier City in Louisiana.

Clearly I prefer the south - LOL!
I like this list. To be laid back population should be under a million. To add some Midwestern cities: Madison, WI, Traverse City, MI,Bloomington, In, Columbus,OH etc..

Old 10-03-2013, 11:50 AM

29,874 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Well, I AM assuming that they wouldn't move somewhere without having a job lined out first. My take is "find a middle class job and then move," not, "move your entire family there and then hope and pray you find a job!"
Of course; I never implied otherwise. I'm just saying that it's well-known that Asheville has a dearth of professional jobs and its economy is mostly service/hospitality-oriented.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:26 PM

44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Of course; I never implied otherwise. I'm just saying that it's well-known that Asheville has a dearth of professional jobs and its economy is mostly service/hospitality-oriented.
OK. So - if they find a nice middle class professional job in Asheville then I think it would be a great place to live! And of course if they don't have a job lined out, they shouldn't move anywhere - including Asheville.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:51 PM

29,874 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
OK. So - if they find a nice middle class professional job in Asheville then I think it would be a great place to live! And of course if they don't have a job lined out, they shouldn't move anywhere - including Asheville.
For one person? Sure. The point, though, is that generally, Asheville is sorely lacking in this regard so I wouldn't put the city in this category for the average person.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:46 AM

81 posts, read 107,112 times
Not lake havasu city, az. Only way to make it here is to own a business or work way out of town. I am a welder by trade with some background in machining, I have yet to break out of the 12-13hr mark. I started out welding in Wisconsin at 14hr at the age of 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or