U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 10:36 AM

731 posts, read 845,995 times

Advertisements

Why does the US not have any routes called the Pan American Highway to the same extent as those in Latin American countries, despite the US being a leader in inter-American affairs and having the headquarters of the Organization of American States? Is it because Latin American countries have been more forthcoming than the United States in terms of pan-American unity and what not? (I know that the interstate system is "officially" part of the Pan Am Highway system, but even so.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 02:38 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,738,716 times
That's because all Interstates in the United States are considered to be Pan-American Highways.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:12 PM

731 posts, read 845,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
That's because all Interstates in the United States are considered to be Pan-American Highways.
But there are no signs on the interstates I've been on saying "Pan American Highway" next to the signs for each interstate. And certainly the American public doesn't think of the interstates as Pan American Highways. I'm sure quite other is the case in many Latin American countries.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:41 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,165,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
But there are no signs on the interstates I've been on saying "Pan American Highway" next to the signs for each interstate. And certainly the American public doesn't think of the interstates as Pan American Highways. I'm sure quite other is the case in many Latin American countries.
For one, who really gives a rats arse, and secondly what sense would it make labeling 46,700+ miles of Interstate with the same name, just different numbers? It isn't like it would ever be used in giving directions... I can hear it now: Take Pan American Highway I-95 to Pan American Highway I-495 to Pan American Highway I-90 to Pan American Highway I-84 to Pan American Highway I-380... and so on.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:17 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,718,331 times
Do many people even dare to drive the full pan American highway?

How do they get from Panama to Columbia?

Old 09-24-2013, 09:51 AM

8,340 posts, read 14,102,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
And certainly the American public doesn't think of the interstates as Pan American Highways.
Probably not, as we have more important things to worry about.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:01 AM

243 posts, read 477,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

Darién Gap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There was a website that had a whole list of...blogs..I guess you would call them, documenting overland expeditions, including people traversing the pan-American highway. I can't seem to find it know, must be sleep deprivation. I have it bookmarked on my home computer, I can post the link later if anyone is interested.

Last edited by fr8train; 09-24-2013 at 10:17 AM..

Old 09-24-2013, 09:35 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,818,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

Panama to Colombia via boat is suggested.
But who would want to travel thru Mexico these days?

Old 09-25-2013, 02:28 AM

2,321 posts, read 3,005,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Panama to Colombia via boat is suggested.
I'd just assume take the whole route by boat. Or plane of course. I wouldn't even think of driving the length. Have driven a bunch in Costa Rica and the road truly sucks. I couldn't imagine it being any better in some of the other country's, though Panama it's in pretty good shape.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:54 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Why don't you leave that for other people to decide, according to their needs and interests? Strangely, there are a lot of cars on the roads in Mexico, which even has a very extensive network of toll ways connecting nearly all major cities and state capitals. So one is left with the impression that quite a lot of people want to travel through Mexico these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.