U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 01:59 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,997 posts, read 5,726,893 times

Advertisements

new orleans accents are much different then the rest of the city.. its a bit strange. i don't use it. i like to say i have no accent at all, as most people tell me i don't (from other states)

Accent tag "NEW ORLEANS STYLE" brace yourself BAAABBBYYYY lol - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 02:02 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,247,479 times
New York AA accent.

Lil Mama on Tyra 10/7/09 - YouTube

Old 09-25-2013, 05:38 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,537,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Lots of blacks have southern accents. But they don't have that nasal speaking or twang .

I don't know why more whites that have that.
I knew someone from Buffalo who was Black and spoke in that Great Lakes accent, like saying Mam for Mom for example.

Whats remarkable to me is how different Blacks from Detriot, Chicago, Milwaukee, and Cleveland sound from Whites in those cities. Out here in LA, there are number of Blacks who pick up Hispanic and Valley Girl features, and a few who sound no different from the general accent of the city. On the Midwest, Blacks sound the most different from the local White population.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,979,923 times
When I lived in the NYC area, I thought blacks sounded vaguely southern. Of course, I had a poor sense of what a real southern accent sounds like. Don't hear too much southern in that LiL Mama video. A friend of mine probably went to high school with her, judging by the year they both graduated.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:02 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,390,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Blacks in New York sound absolutely nothing like blacks in the south. New Orleans? Yes. Augusta, Georgia? Heck no.

Nas sounds nothing like Ludacris.

Same thing with Chicago. Most sound like they have a bit of the northeast in their accents.
Curious, do New Orleanians really sound similar to New Yorkers?

Old 09-25-2013, 06:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,979,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Curious, do New Orleanians really sound similar to New Yorkers?
not really. But one dialect has some odd similarities:

A variety of New Orleans accents from YEAH YOU RITE! - YouTube

first woman.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
A bunch of different accents in this Black, white, male female, Philly, S Jersey, Suburban Philly etc.

This is whay I personally hate Old City these days, especially on weekends

street fight old city philadelphia - YouTube
Damn! What the hell was going on in Old City that night?

Old 09-25-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I've had a hard time finding good examples as well. It seems as though the "Black Boston Dialect" hasn't been well documented or studied like African American dialects in other cities. Unless someone is a Boston area local or has spent some time living there, it's very difficult to have a great perspective on it.
Didn't Guru from GangStarr had a "Black Boston Dialect"?

Old 09-25-2013, 08:11 PM

105 posts, read 142,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Lots of blacks have southern accents. But they don't have that nasal speaking or twang .

I don't know why more whites that have that.

Actually some blacks do speak with a nasally southern twang. Especially in the mountain/upland south states like Kentucky, West Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas, and parts of Texas. Randy Moss is a perfect example of this. Also my folks back in Hopkinsville, Kentucky all sound like this as well. Where the southern accent starts to change a little among blacks is when you venture into the coastal/lowland states like Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina. Then you'll start hearing blacks speak with more of a drawl than a twang

Old 09-25-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
not really. But one dialect has some odd similarities:

A variety of New Orleans accents from YEAH YOU RITE! - YouTube

first woman.
Oh wow. New Orleans have quite a unique dialect/accent from the rest of the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or