U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 05:52 PM

13,300 posts, read 10,493,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
The dc aa accent is my fave, i love to hear black women from dc talk
I have alot family in D.C and they tease me for "sounding like a whiteboy" and half of the time I have no clue as to what they are saying A perfect example happened when I came down and wanted to see a cousin name Karen which they proudly pronouce as Karn (Car in). It took twenty minutes to realize that we were talking about the same person
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 08:45 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,595,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
There is even a difference between Blacks from Philly and the ones from Pittsburgh and they are in the same state!
Of course they are very different. PA is not a small state. Philly and Pittsburgh are far from each other and they are practically in different regions of the country.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Of course they are very different. PA is not a small state. Philly and Pittsburgh are far from each other and they are practically in different regions of the country.
I just always considered it to be amusing when people from philly call the pittsburghers "country" based on the way that they talk

Old 09-30-2013, 08:27 AM

18,633 posts, read 27,052,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
There is even a difference between Blacks from Philly and the ones from Pittsburgh and they are in the same state!
Same can be said in Texas. Blacks on Dallas have a much different accent from Blacks in Houston.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:50 AM

8,483 posts, read 10,464,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Same can be said in Texas. Blacks on Dallas have a much different accent from Blacks in Houston.
Most people outside of Texas would not be able to tell the difference. It's not as easily distinguishable as the Philly and Pittsburgh accents. The Houston And Dallas example is not that comparable to the PA cities. A better example would be the "Black NYC dialect" and the "Black Buffalo, NY dialect".

Old 09-30-2013, 03:52 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,536,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Most people outside of Texas would not be able to tell the difference. It's not as easily distinguishable as the Philly and Pittsburgh accents. The Houston And Dallas example is not that comparable to the PA cities. A better example would be the "Black NYC dialect" and the "Black Buffalo, NY dialect".
Co-sign. Blacks in Dallas and Houston overall sound Southern and similar to each other. The Black Buffalo accent is actually the closest to the White accent in the Great Lakes cities. Buffalo sounds way closer to Cleveland than NYC.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Not the point. He said there is a difference between Blacks in Philly and Blacks in Pittsburgh and they're in the same state and that is very much the truth for Blacks in Houston and Blacks in Dallas in Texas. Blacks in Dallas sound similar to Arkansas/Northern Louisiana/Memphis/Northern Mississippi with a slight hint of St. Louis in there. Houston has their own unique sound that's not quite like the rest of the state.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:16 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,152,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Not the point. He said there is a difference between Blacks in Philly and Blacks in Pittsburgh and they're in the same state and that is very much the truth for Blacks in Houston and Blacks in Dallas in Texas. Blacks in Dallas sound similar to Arkansas/Northern Louisiana/Memphis/Northern Mississippi with a slight hint of St. Louis in there. Houston has their own unique sound that's not quite like the rest of the state.

Makes me wonder in general what the most different accents are by major cities in states

3 that jump to mind are NYC and Buffalo, Philly and Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Cinci

Not sure is KCMO and St Louis are a lot different - this is my own ignorance I suppose

On Houston and DFW - I guess there may be but they dont seem dramatic

Maybe Jax and Miami as well?

NJ is interestingas a state as the accent change fairly dramatically almost instantly when passing the NY versus Philly influences in the state

Old 09-30-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Makes me wonder in general what the most different accents are by major cities in states

3 that jump to mind are NYC and Buffalo, Philly and Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Cinci

Not sure is KCMO and St Louis are a lot different - this is my own ignorance I suppose

On Houston and DFW - I guess there may be but they dont seem dramatic

Maybe Jax and Miami as well?

NJ is interestingas a state as the accent change fairly dramatically almost instantly when passing the NY versus Philly influences in the state
With NYC and Buffalo. NYC has their own thing going. Buffalo's is different because of the region it's closer too with Canada and Midwest. Same exact thing with Houston and Dallas. Houston has their own thing but Dallas being closer to the Upland South as well as the great plains Midwest has more in common with them in dialect than they do with the city within their own state.

You're not going to to here people say hir for here in Houston just like you're not going to hear people say dine for down in Dallas.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
good point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or