U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 05:35 PM

4,370 posts, read 5,141,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
I don't have to pay much attention to hear a significant difference the way Blacks on the West Coast sound compared to Blacks in the Midwest. The largest differences are the rhoticy and Blacks on the West Coast tend to sound flatter compared to Midwestern Blacks

If I hear someone speaking like Chingy(from St Louis) out here. I would think he's "Country".

Chingy Lets em' know (A Howie D. Mac Exclusive) - YouTube

Dude, that's St. Louis. Most blacks in the midwest do NOT sound like that. As I said before, St. Louis and Chicago have their own type of accent, which sounds largely southern. Most black people in the midwest do not talk like Chingy or Nelly. I'm originally from KC. I remember visiting relatives in St. Louis growing up and thinking they sounded country.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 05:35 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,535,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Chicago has it's own accent, as does St. Louis. There are plenty of other midwestern cities with large black populations, and they talk nothing like St. Louis or Chicago. So I don't think that's an adequate sample.
But Chicago and St Louis along with Detroit have the largest Black populations in the Midwest, so they are representitive how Midwestern Blacks sound.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:37 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,032,001 times
Quote:
The only place where blacks sound different in NYC and the deep south. Outside of that, all blacks talk exactly the same. Blacks on the West Coast sound just like blacks in the midwest. From Oakland to Chicago, blacks sound pretty much exactly the same.
You couldn't be more wrong. West coast and Midwest blacks sound nothing alike. NYC blacks may have the most defined accent but not the only recognizable black accent. I can understand if a white person thinks that all blacks sound the same due to a lack of experience.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
But Chicago and St Louis along with Detroit have the largest Black populations in the Midwest, so they are representitive how Midwestern Blacks sound.

There is a ton of black population outside of St. Louis, Detroit, and Chicago in the midwest. Kansas City, Indiapolis, some other cities in Michigan, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Cincinati, Columbus, OH, etc. All significantly notable black populations in the midwest. I could probably think of some more, but that's off the top of my head. The midwest has a large black population, we're not talking about the West Coast, which essentially has no black people.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:41 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,462,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
With NYC and Buffalo. NYC has their own thing going. Buffalo's is different because of the region it's closer too with Canada and Midwest. Same exact thing with Houston and Dallas. Houston has their own thing but Dallas being closer to the Upland South as well as the great plains Midwest has more in common with them in dialect than they do with the city within their own state.

You're not going to to here people say hir for here in Houston just like you're not going to hear people say dine for down in Dallas.
It's not on the level on those other cities mentioned. Dallas and Houston generally falls under the same dialect region while cities like "Pittsburgh-Philadelphia" and "New York City-Buffalo" are in different dialect regions within the state. So it's not the same exact thing.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Dude, that's St. Louis. Most blacks in the midwest do NOT sound like that. As I said before, St. Louis and Chicago have their own type of accent, which sounds largely southern. Most black people in the midwest do not talk like Chingy or Nelly. I'm originally from KC. I remember visiting relatives in St. Louis growing up and thinking they sounded country.
Blacks in Milwaukee sound just as country as in Chicago. I visited relatives out in Milwaukee and I was surprised how strongly Southern they sounded. Even the younger Blacks sounded very Southern. Like in this video

History Of Tha Streetz: Milwaukee NorthSide Milwaukee EastSide - YouTube

Compare to how younger Blacks in So Cal sound. They sound alot less southern than Blacks in most of the Midwest. Oakland has a bit more of a Southern sound. But Blacks in Seattle sound the most neutral American.

Locke high school presents: Dayvion reality show - YouTube

EDIT: Thier language is terrible. But it's the best I can find to highlight the differences.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:48 PM

Sorry dude, black on the West Coast sound way more country than blacks in the midwest. I find it funny how West Coast people are the most backwards country sounding people, but you're trying to make it seem like everyone else sounds country. Outside of the south, the most country black accents are in the West

Old 09-30-2013, 05:50 PM

346 posts, read 757,000 times
Quote:
I disagree with this. A lot of Blacks in the Midwest sound strongly Southern and non-rhotic compared to Blacks on the West Coast. I know alot of Blacks from Milwaukee and Chicago that sound straight out of Mississippi, which isn't that common out here in So Cal in the younger generations. The typical Black person from the Midwest would sound "Country" to the typical Black person out here.
Many black people from Ohio and Michigan that I have met sound very similar to blacks from the west coast in my opinion. I think it is the strong pronunciation of the r in words such as car, park, etc that sounds like the stereotypical LA "Boyz in the Hood", "Menace 2 Society" movie accent. The black people I have met from Chicago vary in speech from sounding like pure southerners, to a southern accent mixed with the more common midwest black accent that I hear from Detroit/Cleveland AA's.

I am from central VA and have lived in the Norfolk area for 12 years and I notice that people from Jersey/NYC/Philly and up think I sound southern, while people from below Raleigh down think I sound like I am from the east coast. From my experiences of traveling to other cities on the east coast, people have assumed I was from DC, Maryland, and Raleigh/Durham while visiting. People from Cleveland told me I sounded southern when I visited the city, while people from Georgia thought I sounded like I was from Baltimore/DC/Philly. Other people from the Tidewater area of VA have told me they have had similar experiences of being considered "country" to people from the north, but having a northern/east coast accent to people below Virginia. I think the AA tidewater VA accent is a southern/midatlantic mixed accent that does not sound drastically different from the AA DC accent.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:56 PM

7,729 posts, read 6,137,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
Many black people from Ohio and Michigan that I have met sound very similar to blacks from the west coast in my opinion. I think it is the strong pronunciation of the r in words such as car, park, etc that sounds like the stereotypical LA "Boyz in the Hood", "Menace 2 Society" movie accent. The black people I have met from Chicago vary in speech from sounding like pure southerners, to a southern accent mixed with the more common midwest black accent that I hear from Detroit/Cleveland AA's.

I am from central VA and have lived in the Norfolk area for 12 years and I notice that people from Jersey/NYC/Philly and up think I sound southern, while people from below Raleigh down think I sound like I am from the east coast. From my experiences of traveling to other cities on the east coast, people have assumed I was from DC, Maryland, and Raleigh/Durham while visiting. People from Cleveland told me I sounded southern when I visited the city, while people from Georgia thought I sounded like I was from Baltimore/DC/Philly. Other people from the Tidewater area of VA have told me they have had similar experiences of being considered "country" to people from the north, but having a northern/east coast accent to people below Virginia. I think the AA tidewater VA accent is a southern/midatlantic mixed accent that does not sound drastically different from the AA DC accent.
The DC accent has some southern nuances to it. Then again, they say certain things and can sound like they're from Boston.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Sorry dude, black on the West Coast sound way more country than blacks in the midwest. I find it funny how West Coast people are the most backwards country sounding people, but you're trying to make it seem like everyone else sounds country. Outside of the south, the most country black accents are in the West
I recognize you as living in the Seattle area for a while. And I've been there and heard Blacks who sound very similar to how Whites speak with little to no southern influence.

In my generalized opinion. Blacks from the West Coast tend to sound flatter or more diluted than Blacks east of the Mississippi. There's a higher proportion of Blacks who don't have strong accents on the West Coast than in other regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or