Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 10:10 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
I didn't say that NYC blacks sound southern because I know that they don't. I was responding to the claim that NYC blacks have no southern influence to their accents which is wrong because NYC blacks say "yall" which obviously originates from the south. Most Chicago blacks sound very southern so I strongly disagree with you. Chicago blacks sound completely different from blacks from NYC, Philly, Jersey and possibly Boston, which all don't sound southern at all.
People all around the country say yall. I know people from around the country that use that word. No one I met from Chicago sounds southern. They sound like they are from Chicago. Lupe Fiasco, Common, Kanye, and Twista don't sound southern at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 05:40 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
People all around the country say yall. I know people from around the country that use that word. No one I met from Chicago sounds southern. They sound like they are from Chicago. Lupe Fiasco, Common, Kanye, and Twista don't sound southern at all.
I have family all over Chicago. There are obvious Southern influences in Chicago Black accents and I heard it the moment I got there years ago. Many sound just like they came off a train from Mississippi. There is nothing Northeastern about Chicago black accents. The South side maybe slightly more neutral. But you can definitely here the South in the Westside. And I can definitely here it when Twista speaks.

Btw, not all Blacks in the South sound Southern.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:58 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Most younger blacks in chicago (30 & younger) dont really have a thick country accent. A lot do but most sound like a mix between a bastardized version of country mississippi accent with a lil bit of the midwestern accent thrown in. But yeah most of the older generation do talk in a country accent.

Honestly there really isn't a common accent among black chicagoans, not IMO anyways. Not like how it is in say NY or New Orleans, or even D.C. Some sound country as hell while others not really...

mas23

Last edited by mas23; 09-24-2013 at 06:17 AM..

Old 09-24-2013, 07:05 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times
Quote:
I have met plenty of black Chicagoans that sound very southern. Recently I met a woman from Chicago that sounded so southern that if she told me she was from Alabama then I would of believed her. Twista, Lisa Raye, Bernie Mac, R. Kelly, Chief Keef etc all sound very southern. Kanye sounds southern at times. Common, Lupe and Donell Jones are the least southern black sounding black Chicagoans that I can think of. Most black Chicagoans sound very southern and many people would agree with me.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:11 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Have you ever watched Hoop Dreams? William Gates sounds southern, but Arthur Agee was over the top, especially when he was talking about his school report on butterflies. Gates' older brother, Curtis, also sounds very southern.

Hoop Dreams (1994) parte 1-7.mp4 - YouTube

Old 09-24-2013, 07:41 AM

I think you also have to look at the Lowest Common Denominator in all of these cities. More educated people generally will not have an accent that swings one way or the other. Guys like Common and Lupe Fiasco are considered "conscious" artists and probably have a fair degree of education. I wouldn't expect them to sound like the average person I'd encounter in the Wild 100s (or the old Cabrini Green).

In Philly, the LCD would definitely be someone like Bernard Hopkins. Grew up in the Raymond Rosen projects, dropped out of school before junior high, did his first bid at 17. He's what you'd expect the most ignorant people in Philly to sound like. Yet he still sounds northern. As does Beanie Sigel (who also dropped out of junior high).

Bernard Hopkins - 2004 Real Sports Show Interview - YouTube

Old 09-24-2013, 07:43 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,685 times
I was born and raised in Chicago.

People from the east coast say that I have a southern accent and people from the deep south say that I have a northern accent. Back in my Alabama State days some of the locals went as far as to say that I sound like a white person. My accent is right on par with the rapper Common. My father was from Greenville Mississippi so I quess people from the east coast can hear a little of it when I speak. It is watered down compared to the true southern accent here in Atlanta. You will never hear blacks from Chicago use a word like gul for girl. As time goes on I think the accent will continue to evolve because blacks from the south are no longer migrated to Chicago in mass numbers. 50 years from now the southern influence could be all but gone.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:00 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
A bunch of different accents in this Black, white, male female, Philly, S Jersey, Suburban Philly etc.

This is whay I personally hate Old City these days, especially on weekends

street fight old city philadelphia - YouTube

Old 09-24-2013, 08:08 AM

^^Wowsa. Did that guy steal the cop's gun?

At any rate, here's an interesting NYT article on accents in the Northeast. The article states the following:

Quote:
Northern urban blacks, according to a number of studies, have developed their own vernacular, essentially uniform in all cities and separate from the local white speech patterns. One study in Philadelphia, according to Mr. Labov, indicated that young Puerto Rican women tended to adopt the white Philadelphia accent while young Puerto Rican men tended toward the black vernacular.
STRONGER URBAN ACCENTS IN NORTHEAST ARE CALLED SIGN OF EVOLVING LANGUAGE - NYTimes.com

Has anybody found any studies on this? I wonder to what extent other ethnic groups (beyond Boricuans) have influenced black speech in the Northeast.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:26 AM

Regional African-American Accents? (Yes!) | Dialect Blog

Curious City: WBEZ looks at the Chicago accent and African-American English | WBEZ 91.5 Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.