Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 09:04 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,331,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It's not on the level on those other cities mentioned. Dallas and Houston generally falls under the same dialect region while cities like "Pittsburgh-Philadelphia" and "New York City-Buffalo" are in different dialect regions within the state. So it's not the same exact thing.
No. They don't. Dallas is more in the region of upland South close to being Midland like Oklahoma and Arkansas. Houston is gulf coast South and much like the rest of the gulf coast outside New Orleans. Completely different type of accents. So yes, it is the same. The two don't sound alike. The similarities are there in tone. That's about it. Both Southern but different.

Last edited by Spade; 09-30-2013 at 09:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 09:41 PM

92,069 posts, read 122,262,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
There is even a difference between Blacks from Philly and the ones from Pittsburgh and they are in the same state!
It's the same in NY in terms of Upstate and Downstate. They say we are country up here, but some of that could be due to many Black people up here being first generation Northerners within the last 50 years or so.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-30-2013 at 10:13 PM..

Old 09-30-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I couldn't find a good example of a Boston AA accent. I tried "Roxbury," "Dorchester," "Mattapan," etc. No good videos where you can just focus in on the accent. This was the best I could find.

YouthBuild, Residents Join in Roxbury Cleanup - YouTube

But these kids are fairly mild compared to most residents of, say, Dorchester. You can still hear the Boston accent...it's just milder. But I personally met many people while living there who say "Bawstin, Bay-beee!" It's a very strong accent even in the AA community.
Look up Mike Jarvis, who is a College Basketball at Florida Atlantic. He grew up in Cambridge. Coach Mike Jarvis - YouTube

Mike Jarvis.mov - YouTube

Old 09-30-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It's the same in NY in terms of Upstate and Downstate. They say we are country up here, but some of that could be due to many Black people up here being first generation Northerners within the last 50 years or so.
Here are some examples of Black Upstate NYers and you may hear a range of accents: Under the Lights - Jo-Lonn Dunbar - YouTube

New Orleans Saints Will Smith Hosts Event to Give Back to NOLA - YouTube

NEC-TV Feature - Monmouth University Head Men's Basketball Coach King Rice - YouTube

Chael Sonnen and Jon Jones Square Off Again - YouTube

Alexis Spight Upclose and Personal - YouTube

Taye Diggs on Ellen 10/15/09 - YouTube

Corey Ellis: Speaks about the Landfill in Albany, NY - YouTube

These are people from Syracuse, Utica, Binghamton/Endicott, Buffalo, Rochester and Albany, in that order.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:43 AM

122 posts, read 179,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARhodyInTheDesert View Post
The California variant of African-American Vernacular English is surprisingly rhotic compared to most AAVE dialects.

And this is how one can primarily distinguish an AA west coast accent from a southern one (well the lowland influenced ones at least) and also how I can usually pinpoint which region someone is from. To the untrained ear, one would mistakenly make the claim of all AA dialects outside of the east coast sounding the same. But that couldnt be further from the truth. just as the poster I quoted alluded to, AA west coast dialects are very rhotic as opposed to some AA southern dialects which are fairly non-rhotic.

Case in point, lets take words as simple as "butter" and "girl". A black native Californian will pronounce them as they sound but would place more stress and emphasis on the letter r. so it would sound something like "butterrrr" or "girrrl". A black southerner (esp. in Georgia, Florida, or Alabama) on the other hand would often mute the r sound or pronounce it very softly. to the point of the where the 2 words will come out sounding like "buttuh" and "guhl"

Old 10-02-2013, 09:03 AM

31,896 posts, read 34,405,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
There is a ton of black population outside of St. Louis, Detroit, and Chicago in the midwest. Kansas City, Indiapolis, some other cities in Michigan, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Cincinati, Columbus, OH, etc. All significantly notable black populations in the midwest. I could probably think of some more, but that's off the top of my head. The midwest has a large black population, we're not talking about the West Coast, which essentially has no black people.
Chicago/Detroit/St. Louis = 3,218,475

Cleveland/Columbus/Indianapolis/Milwaukee/Cincinnati/Kansas City/Minneapolis = 1,968,302

Old 10-02-2013, 09:09 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,177,863 times
And California = 2,299,072

Old 10-02-2013, 09:41 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,022 posts, read 7,411,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
You couldn't be more wrong. West coast and Midwest blacks sound nothing alike. NYC blacks may have the most defined accent but not the only recognizable black accent. I can understand if a white person thinks that all blacks sound the same due to a lack of experience.

Not true as a person from the East Coast they sound very alike. With exceptions to St Louis, and Memphis which are very distinct. Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, and Chicago sound very very similar to West Coast accents and I have family all over the Midwest.

You all may not hear it but many of us do, just like when NY'ers say DC sounds southern, of course we don't hear that ish, but they hear something that they feel is southern. Midwest and WC def have a similar accent.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:52 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,331,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Not true as a person from the East Coast they sound very alike. With exceptions to St Louis, and Memphis which are very distinct. Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, and Chicago sound very very similar to West Coast accents and I have family all over the Midwest.

You all may not hear it but many of us do, just like when NY'ers say DC sounds southern, of course we don't hear that ish, but they hear something that they feel is southern. Midwest and WC def have a similar accent.
It's the first I'm hearing this honestly. I family all over the Midwest mostly Chicago and family in Oakland myself. I do not find that much similarities myself. But that's me.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:16 PM

96 posts, read 132,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
I have met plenty of black Chicagoans that sound very southern. Recently I met a woman from Chicago that sounded so southern that if she told me she was from Alabama then I would of believed her. Twista, Lisa Raye, Bernie Mac, R. Kelly, Chief Keef etc all sound very southern. Kanye sounds southern at times. Common, Lupe and Donell Jones are the least southern black sounding black Chicagoans that I can think of. Most black Chicagoans sound very southern and many people would agree with me.
Exactly! I agree wholeheartedly because just about all of my friends that were from Chicago sound just as southern as an Atlantan. When I still lived in Atlanta I was on the MARTA train at the time there was a girl on there who asked me where the closest MetroPCS store was and I told her Five Points/Downtown Atlanta. After listening to her accent I just happened to ask her where she was from and she said Chicago, and if she hadn't have told me that I would have thought she was very well from Atlanta, Alabama, or perhaps Mississippi. However I have ran into few Chicagoans that sound more East Coast than southern such as Common, Lupe, & Donell Jones like you stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.