U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 10:02 PM

65 posts, read 77,491 times

Advertisements

Ok this might be "odd" (though on this forum is anything really "odd"? )
But -
Where is an area (NOT a city but a general area/rural) that has a dry climate (presumably west of the 100th meridian!) but gets A LOT of rain AND clouds?
Does such a place exist?
If so, this would be NIRVANA!!!!!
Oh - also preferably not extremely hot or cold - that's why I would think PNW area - but doesn't it feel humid there? They are obviously west of the 100th meridian, but does it feel somewhat dry somehow?
For reference - we're in Florida
Discuss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 10:17 PM

18,134 posts, read 23,028,696 times
Most of California is a Mediterranean climate. This means, dry most of the year with a rainy season. Very low humidity.

If you don't like long spells of cloudy days, I would advise against the PNW. Lived there many years as a CA transplant, and it was too depressing. Not humid like the south, where I also lived, just cloudy and gloomy.

The west or southwest would be your best bet.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:15 AM

9,704 posts, read 18,894,934 times
Waimea on the Island of Hawaii, maybe. There is a "dry" side as well as a "wet" side to the town. So, you can choose the amount of wetness you want.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Most of California is a Mediterranean climate. This means, dry most of the year with a rainy season. Very low humidity.

If you don't like long spells of cloudy days, I would advise against the PNW. Lived there many years as a CA transplant, and it was too depressing. Not humid like the south, where I also lived, just cloudy and gloomy.

The west or southwest would be your best bet.
So the PNW is cloudy and gloomy without the humidity?? Hot dang we found Nirvana!
We LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE cloudy gloomy rainy - but HATE humidity!!!
We are concerned that the PNW would not have enough rain and too much dang sun though - we hear they actually get a fair amount of sunny days... (UGH!!!)
Isn't there ANYWHERE where it's ALWAYS cloudy? The PNW seems to come close - maybe?
Anyone from there?

We also considered Hilo - but it seems like here (FL) - rains a lot but in spurts = too much dang sun!!!!

Old 09-24-2013, 02:30 AM

7,384 posts, read 13,248,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almondding View Post
So the PNW is cloudy and gloomy without the humidity?? Hot dang we found Nirvana!
We LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE cloudy gloomy rainy - but HATE humidity!!!
We are concerned that the PNW would not have enough rain and too much dang sun though - we hear they actually get a fair amount of sunny days... (UGH!!!)
Isn't there ANYWHERE where it's ALWAYS cloudy? The PNW seems to come close - maybe?
Anyone from there?

We also considered Hilo - but it seems like here (FL) - rains a lot but in spurts = too much dang sun!!!!

PNW does get humidity, but it's a cold humidity (tends to be high during winter, not so much during summer). Lots of Sun during the summer and it'll be warm generally, the rest of the year we do get Sun breaks, but still cloudy. The western portion of OR and Wa gets less Sun than their eastern counterparts.

A lot of people actually can't handle Seattle's cloudiness. Olympia is an hour south of Seattle and its much more wetter and a bit more cloudier than Seattle. You can also check out Astoria, OR. You might actually like our summers actually.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:27 AM

390 posts, read 785,762 times
Seattle

Old 09-24-2013, 10:09 AM

18,134 posts, read 23,028,696 times
Sorry, I misread your OP. I see that you WANT clouds. I used to live in Bellingham, WA. I think it would suit you perfectly. Read this web page - especially the section on dew point, which explains that it doesn't feel humid. It's beautiful there.

Historical Weather For The Last Twelve Months in Bellingham, Washington, USA - WeatherSpark

Old 09-25-2013, 06:03 AM

That's a good site!

Seattle - WAAAAAAAAY too big a metro!

Same with Bellingham...
(We think our city of around 7k is big! )

Astoria seems possible - nice weather - though how far out can you go from the city proper and still have the same weather? We don't like cities! We would want at LEAST an acre! (Preferable more like 50-100! - but $$$!!!)

In general. how far can you get from the coast up there in OR & WA & still keep the nice cloudy rainy gloomy cool weather?

Old 09-25-2013, 02:09 PM

7,384 posts, read 13,248,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almondding View Post
That's a good site!

Seattle - WAAAAAAAAY too big a metro!

Same with Bellingham...
(We think our city of around 7k is big! )

Astoria seems possible - nice weather - though how far out can you go from the city proper and still have the same weather? We don't like cities! We would want at LEAST an acre! (Preferable more like 50-100! - but $$$!!!)

In general. how far can you get from the coast up there in OR & WA & still keep the nice cloudy rainy gloomy cool weather?
Seattle was only brought up because for a lot of people, the weather is a huge mark against it. Since you had mentioned that you were interested in living away from metro, I brought up Olympia (and Astoria). Now you're saying you feel 7k is a bit big... Olympia is just under 50k, so while not living in the city is, the area around it might work like Yelm, Tenino, Shelton, etc. You could also look up the Peninsula and look around the big towns there like Poulsbo, Bremerton, Port Townsend, etc. Southwest WA, just north of Vancouver like Kelso, Woodland, Battle Ground could work. I have a friend that lives in Yacolt and loves it-- for me it is way too small.

But to answer your latter question for both Or and Wa, look west of the Cascade Mountain range-- you will get your cloudiness fix. The rain is a bit different as there's the rain shadow effect; it is why while Seattle only gets 37" of rain (being on the peripheral edge of the rain shadow) and Olympia which is not in the rain shadow gets about 52".

Old 09-26-2013, 10:47 AM

197 posts, read 264,645 times
Have you looked at the Sequim area? Not alot of rain but from my research and the helpful people here they tell me it is cloudy alot in winter, spring, late fall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or