U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 07:02 PM

73 posts, read 86,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Someone's probably mentioned this - hey, maybe I did earlier for that matter - but New Orleans, one of the most Southern of cities, has a lot of Irish history.

The Irish in New Orleans

Interesting article on the subject of the Irish influence today in the American South:
IrishAbroad.com - Irish Social Networking worldwide
Irish were slaves in the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Small parts of S. Philly had Irish, but their presence was not nearly as large as Italian. Irish were more Fishtown, Kensington, Mafair and West Philly.

And you are wrong btw about Boston and Philly. Just as I thought, in their metro areas Boston has a higher % of Catholics. Within the city limits probably even moreso. Philadelphia is around 45% or more Black. Mostly all of them protestants from the South. Add them together with the White prostetants and you have a higher percentage protestant than Boston. Boston is no where near almost 50% Black. Spend one day walking around downtown Philly and one day in Boston and you compare.

Boston is 39.3% Catholic. Philadelphia is 30%. See link below.

USA, Statistics by Province, by Catholic Population [Catholic-Hierarchy]
I know this. I'm just saying it wasn't only Italian. There was a large Irish population there.

I'm not wrong. You claimed Philadelphia is more Protestant because of black people, but it's always been Protestant, even before the Great Migration (and by the way the first black Methodist congregation in the US was in Philadelphia among the free black community in the 17-early 1800s). The statistics might make Boston seem more Catholic but considering that state was founded by Puritans, I don't see that being the case. Then again, Boston also claims to be the most Irish city in the country yet governs itself as an English city run by the elites, as it always has.

Does Boston even have Catholic schools anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 07:18 PM

44,938 posts, read 36,237,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 058057 View Post
Irish were slaves in the South.
Like I said, New Orleans was very heavily influenced by it's Irish population and history, and continues to be so.

And the Irish weren't enslaved ONLY in the American South. They were also sold as slaves in New England as well, and also in other British colonies.

And finally, not all or even MOST Irish who immigrated to the New World were slaves. Some came on their own, and some came as indentured servants as well.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Like I said, New Orleans was very heavily influenced by it's Irish population and history, and continues to be so.

And the Irish weren't enslaved ONLY in the American South. They were also sold as slaves in New England as well, and also in other British colonies.

And finally, not all or even MOST Irish who immigrated to the New World were slaves. Some came on their own, and some came as indentured servants as well.
I never said they were, nor did I say the majority of Irish were slaves. The majority of Irish in the South definitely were though.

Probably hundreds of thousands of Irish were slaves in the "New World".

Old 10-10-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I never said they were, nor did I say the majority of Irish were slaves. The majority of Irish in the South definitely were though.

Probably hundreds of thousands of Irish were slaves in the "New World".
LOL I never said you said it. Just as you were doing, I was also clarifying some facts about the Irish in the New World.

However, I'd like to see a credible source that states that the MAJORITY of the Irish in the South were slaves. I can't find anything credible that states this, and frankly, I think it's an urban legend.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
LOL I never said you said it. Just as you were doing, I was also clarifying some facts about the Irish in the New World.

However, I'd like to see a credible source that states that the MAJORITY of the Irish in the South were slaves. I can't find anything credible that states this, and frankly, I think it's an urban legend.
Maybe so but the South had more of a slave culture than the Northeast. The Northeast colonies learned from the failures of the first Southern colonies and made sure they all worked and were productive. There were slaves, sure, but there were many self-sufficient families and middle class people without slaves. By and large, the Irish came over as slaves first, then droves of them came over mostly to the Northeast in later decades. My ancestors came over at the end of the 18th Century.

There wasn't opportunity for them in the South compared to the many "wage slave" jobs in the Northeast and abundant worker housing (which in reality were slums but still better than nothing).

Old 10-10-2013, 09:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 42,008,719 times
Quote:
The statistics might make Boston seem more Catholic but considering that state was founded by Puritans, I don't see that being the case. Then again, Boston also claims to be the most Irish city in the country yet governs itself as an English city run by the elites, as it always has.
Demographics change. Just because the state was founded by Puritans, doesn't mean it's heavily Protestant. Most of the politicians of Boston haven't been English for over a century, and Massachusetts politician like to emphasize their "ethnic" immigrant roots.

Quote:
Does Boston even have Catholic schools anymore?
Of course it does.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Maybe so but the South had more of a slave culture than the Northeast. The Northeast colonies learned from the failures of the first Southern colonies and made sure they all worked and were productive. There were slaves, sure, but there were many self-sufficient families and middle class people without slaves. By and large, the Irish came over as slaves first, then droves of them came over mostly to the Northeast in later decades. My ancestors came over at the end of the 18th Century.

There wasn't opportunity for them in the South compared to the many "wage slave" jobs in the Northeast and abundant worker housing (which in reality were slums but still better than nothing).
You stated that most of the Irish who lived in the South did so as slaves when they arrived. This simply isn't true. That's what I was correcting. Life was hard for the poor in both the north and the south - in the south the poor might be working in the fields. In the north they might be working in factories or mines. Hard lives any way you cut it.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:44 PM

241 posts, read 207,345 times
LOL....Irish slaves, you gotta be kidding. Then how in the heck would they buy their liquor! haha ;-)

Old 10-10-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
You stated that most of the Irish who lived in the South did so as slaves when they arrived. This simply isn't true. That's what I was correcting. Life was hard for the poor in both the north and the south - in the south the poor might be working in the fields. In the north they might be working in factories or mines. Hard lives any way you cut it.
Do you know this for a fact?

I know the Irish came over to the South first, and many did so as slaves. Irish people who later moved of their own free will majorly came over to the North because there was more opportunity for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlanynna View Post
LOL....Irish slaves, you gotta be kidding. Then how in the heck would they buy their liquor! haha ;-)
Excuse me?

Read up on history, bigot.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:49 PM

241 posts, read 207,345 times
Im not sure how that is bigoted....anyways it was a joke lighten up jerk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or